RE: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:32:36 +1100

Yes - quite right

> All of the 4 points above you mentioned I absolutely agree
> with from a consumer point of view, but there is a trade-off
> involved which involves balancing these wants. Not everyone
> will agree with these trade-offs, after all the "perfect"
> consumer wants everything for nothing, but that is why we
> have these discussions.

True enough

> | Certainly requiring a business registration to identify a
> registrant
> | is useful. But beyond that, if .au has acceptable use
> policies, and if
> | registrants warrant that they have a close and substantial
> connection
> | to a domain name, I fail to see how it is the regulators role to
> | decide in particular instances or via policy in general if a
> | registration infringes the rights of another party. That's
> ultimately
> | a matter for intellectual property law and dispute resolution
> | mechanisms.
>
> As touched on by others, DRP mechanisms create a barrier to
> entry - only large players usually fight those battles. It is
> a tricky one, because if DRP mechanisms are too accessible,
> they can become problematic in other ways.

Again a fair point - a balance is needed including an effective DRP process.
In fact the same applies to the law and courts in general (ie: stacked in
favour of those with money).

> | Much of the current restrictive policy is a response to the
> scammers
> | and cyber squatters. Those issues are largely resolved, and a
> | loosening of policy to meet the expectations of the market is
> | appropriate.
>
> I'm not sure I entirely agree with the analysis that because
> the problems have largely abated, that is a reason to throw
> things open. On the surface it seems like deciding to stop
> locking doors because the crime rate is down. It is quite
> possible that would invite the problem to (re)surface.

Yes - I'm advocating a progressive relaxation. A loosening of screws over
time with a close watch on the effect. A bit like how the reserve bank
manages rates.

> | .AU is undervalued because normal market behaviour that maximises
> | value from the assets in the market is absent.
>
> Undervalued for whom?

General average overall value and utility for all average market
participants. Our capatalistinc economic system ascribes value as a concept
to dollar value. Within that value system, .Au is undervalued, I meant. Now
some may prefer other economic systems...

> | We have thrown the baby out with the bath water. In our efforts to
> | prevent cyber squatting, we have destroyed value and missed
> _part_ of
> | the opportunity to create a vibrant and meaningful .AU.
>
> It's all about finding a balance. You destroy value and
> opportunity in other ways if you make .au a completely free
> market. The domain space is a finite resource that needs to
> last, for all intents and purposes, in perpetuity - without
> overly penalising people based on how late or early they
> entered the so-called "market". Pure capitalism favours
> driving resource exhaustion. Finding a perfect balance is a tough ask.

Agreed