RE: [DNS] Searcher twists name rules

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:47:00 +1100

Errr....everybody on this list for starters?

> >  - registrants don't understand the restrictions placed on
> them by the
> > policy
>
> I think the australian public is quite aware of the
> restrictions placed
> on them. In fact many are unaware of how loose the policy is. I
> personally can't see the difficulty of the "close and substantial"
> clause. Just because a user wants a name it does not mean they should
> automatically be entitled to it.

I suppose I meant 'understand' in the context of a sanity or reasonableness
test. Yes they understand what is required of them, but largely they fail to
understand why. It's subjective - just my call, not fact.

> for example I want parishilton.com.au. The policy states I need a
> reason as far as I am aware this is how it goes
> 1. I am paris hilton - accepted
> 2. I sell paris hilton videos - accepted
> 3. I want to run a site about paris hilton - denied/accepted
> (this one
> I am not sure about perhaps someone can explain)
> 4. I want to sit on the domain and sell it later - denied
>
> What is so difficult about that. If you "want" a name you must have a
> reason so state it. Simple!
>
> Without the clause you are inviting speculators/squatters to step in.
> Unfortunately as everyone states the horse has bolted,
> however this is
> partially due to registrars "bending" the registration rules in an
> attempt to grab their market share as well as auda's unwillingness to
> enforce it's own policies. Little self-governing going on there.

There are other mechanisms to deal with intellectual property right
infringements. Its not the role of policy or a regulator to make the call -
particularly as there is an entire spectrum of what is acceptable and what
is not. I agree its not black and white - it's a controversial issue and a
balance is needed - I think the balance is currently too restrictive and
would like to see the scales tipped a little towards openess (which to be
fair is exactly what is happening over time - just a little to slowly for my
preference).

> >  - they want names to be registered in real time
>
> No I believe the registrars prefer real time registrations as this
> requires as little man power as possible. The more automated the
> cheaper it gets. Automation can't happen with multiple variables like
> "reasons" involved. The policy was sound, after all why have
> a panel to
> evaluate it in the first place, however as stated the
> registrars pushed
> for real time registrations which was the beginning of the
> "loop holes".

If I buy something online, I want to know if I have it within seconds of
pushing "submit"

> >  - they see the policy as useless red tape for no practical benefit
>
> Aren't all policies :)
>
> >  - they want to be able to sell their names
>
> Apparently  you can already? It seems that "where there's a will
> there's a way". Also registrars don't seem to make the process too
> complicated.
> https://www.enetica.com.au/register.cgi?action=reg_transfer
>
> Ian

The joys of a free society?