RE: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:22:24 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Larry Bloch wrote:

 > Registrars in fact feel to a large degree that auDA is overly influenced by
 > the demand side - there are 6 board members representing the buying public
 > and only three representing supply. Then there is Chris (lets call his
 > position neutral for now), and the Chair who does an excellent job of being
 > neutral to the board composition, which can mean more not on registrars side
 > than on in practice.

But I thought you said that registrars were on the customers' side?

 > auDA is not run by registrars. It should be - if it was, policy would be
 > objective and automatic, names would be cheaper and overall a far more
 > rational and market driven system would pertain. I think that that would
 > deliver a better result for all - including those that need protection. For
 > example, I think you would find registrars keen to have a DRP that was
 > affordable - its in our interests for disputes to be handled efficiently and
 > cheaply.
 >
 > Bring on auDA run by supply!

Well you would say that, wouldn't you? :)

Again, no blame, that's what you're in business for, and I'm sure AuDA
understands that perfectly when weighing up competing interests.

Um, how many .au registrars are there now?  And how many registrants?

Cheers, Ian

 > Larry

[..]