RE: [DNS] Why have a policy?

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:49:00 +1000
Tony,

For the 50-odd possibly dodgy registrations a month out of 14,000, is it
worth sacrificing the beneficial goal of automated registrations?

Do we really want to visually look at and make a call on 14,000
registrations to put a few of them on auDA alert? It seems a far better
allocation of resources to deal with the issues as they arise via a dispute
mechanism.

And it still doesn't deal with the reality that there is a spectrum of
dodginess and a wide range of levels of experience and training amongst
operators. It seems its really unfair to registrants to have a wide ranging
set of practices in play. It should be a principle that all registrations
are dealt with in a completely uniform manner, and that will never happen if
rules are being applied subjectively by (say) 50 operators at 22 registrars.

Should we be staying away from hiring people who haven't been in Australia
for at least 5 years because they will be unfamiliar with local 'well known
names'? It's a minefield of mediocrity. The only equitable system is one
where human decision making is kept to a minimum and then applied in a
rigorous and consistent manner.

Even more so as unlike so many industries, this is one where we CAN do that.

Larry