Re: [DNS] Whois & Privacy

From: Tony Owen <tony§seol.net.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 00:31:37 +0930
> This is a crazy world we live in..

Probably not at all practical, but it would be nice to glean contact details
of a domain owner for technical reasons (would be why I reckon they were put
there in the first place) .. but I get a lot of spam based on whois data.

Auda setup a "known tech" database ....

Public see the bare minimum data ...
If your regged as a 'known tech' you get to see enough to make your job
easier when needed ...
Registrars get to see all the whois data ..

Someone would of course work out how to abuse it, but as the 'baddies' are
getting more sophisticated, the 'goodies' need to follow suit.

My two cents ...
( My recent flurry of postings prove I really need to get a life )

Cheers Tony