research papers - 4 July

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 22:17:16 +1000 (EST)
***************
RESEARCH PAPERS
***************
Just how big is IPv6? - or where did all those
addresses go? by Geoff Huston
This is an article about large and small numbers and
what happens to numbers when they are used in address
plans for networks. The question we are looking at
here is just how long can we expect the 128 bit
address set of IPv6 to last before we've run out of
IPv6 addresses? And the secondary question is if we
assume that we are just a little worried that we are
being a little too profligate with these numbers,
whether this is something we can quickly rectify
without changing the basics of the address plan, or
whether there is some more fundamental weakness in the
way in which we've been thinking about IPv6.
 http://ispcolumn.isoc.org/2005-07/ipv6size.html

CONFERENCE: Global Flow of Information: A conference
on law, culture and political economy (April 2005)
Patterns of information flow are one of the most
important factors shaping globalization. Today
individuals, groups, countries, and international
organizations are trying to promote and control the
flow of different kinds of information across national
borders; information ranging from intellectual
property and scientific research to political
discourse, brand names and cultural symbols. And
digitally networked environments subject information
to ever new methods of distribution and manipulation.
Fights over information flow are going to help define
who holds power in the global information economy.
This conference will explore these emerging patterns
of information flow, and their political, economic,
social, and cultural consequences. We will be looking
at four key questions: Can the flow of information
across borders be controlled? If so, how?; 2. Whose
interests are going to be affected by flows of
information across borders? Who will be empowered and
who will lose influence and authority?; 3. What role
can or should law play in securing freedoms, rights,
and democratic accountability as individuals, groups,
and nations struggle over control of information
flows?; 4. What lessons can we learn about how to
regulate information flow from past experience with
other kinds of flow across borders— for example, flows
of goods, services, people, and capital?
 http://islandia.law.yale.edu/isp/GlobalFlow/

Global Flow of Information: Panel 1: Information as
Governance
The digital revolution has led many to assume that
from now on information will be cheap, instantaneously
delivered, and universally accessible in the form of
files, databases, or data packets. To an increasing
extent law has begun to acknowledge this paradigm in
shaping legal entitlements like copyright or privacy
rights. As technology changes how fast information can
travel, how easily it can be stored and manipulated,
and how widely people can connect to share it and
transform it, policy makers must rethink what
information is and how we regulate it. At the same
time, we have to ask whether the new paradigm of
information is accurate or misleads us. We must
consider whether the same basic principles apply for
all of the different kinds of information that
regularly flow across the world's borders. This
introductory session frames our discussion of the
various contexts of information flow in the panels to
follow. Papers are available.

http://islandia.law.yale.edu/isp/GlobalFlow/panels.html#panel1

WSIS: Whose vision of an information society? by Ajit
K. Pyati
Abstract: The UN and ITU, in their development of the
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), are
contributing to the on–going discourse of the
"Information Society." This study analyzes how WSIS
contributes to the on–going Information Society
discourse, especially how it frames a vision of an
Information Society and the global "digital divide."
The methodology of this study is a broad,
comprehensive, and critical content analysis of the
two main documents of WSIS, its Declaration of
Principles and Plan of Action. The content analysis
utilizes discourse analysis and ideology critique, and
quantitative and qualitative methods. The results of
the analysis show that WSIS paints a wholly utopian,
technologically deterministic picture of an
"Information Society" that oversimplifies and
generalizes a complex issue and phenomenon, about
which no clear consensus exists.

http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue10_5/pyati/index.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Check out http://auda.org.au/domain-news/dn-news for
the latest domain news. Within 24 hours of this news
being posted, a more recent edition of the news will
normally be posted to the auDA web site. The domain
name news is supported by auDA.

(c) David Goldstein 2005

David Goldstein
 address: 4/3 Abbott Street
             COOGEE NSW 2034
             AUSTRALIA
 email: Goldstein_David &#167;yahoo.com.au
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - home

* Note new address and home phone number as of 28 May 2005.