RE: [DNS] Whois & Spam

From: Bill Rogers <ansearchwatch§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:28:09 +0100 (BST)
Hi Marty,

--- Marty Drill - Domain Candy
<marty&#167;domaincandy.com.au> wrote:

> This is auDA Whois policy, so AusReg are just
> following the rules. Probably
> doesn't make much of a difference, but it is
> important to note that this is
> policy not an AusReg issue.
>
> Suggest that you contact auDA with your concerns -
> info&#167;auda.org.au

I disagree totally. While ausregistry are following
the auda rules I can see no reason they cannot put in
place greater protection of the whois database as many
global registrars have done so. Even though I am a
crap programmer I can think of several ways this is
possible with probably only a days work to implement.
With the millions they make you would wonder why they
don't take a proactive view to the spam issue and
email harvesting.

It doesn't take a genius to harvest emails from the
ausregistry whois database. On my basic setup I
reackon over 1000 per hour even with their
restrictions in place. These spammers obviously have
more resources.

Bill