RE: [DNS] Re: Whois & Spam

From: Dirk Hunter <DirkH§stjohnqld.com.au>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:16:22 +1000
A number of people (myself included) suggested this in the 2003 WHOIS
policy review (http://www.auda.org.au/reviews/whois-2003/).

The response was (from Response to Public Comments, 20/08/03)

"There is no evidence to suggest that registrant email addresses are
being harvested from the WHOIS database for spamming purposes, and in
any case auDA believes that the best way to manage this risk is by
imposing WHOIS query limits and bulk access restrictions.

auDA notes comments about various technical solutions, such as email
masking, one-time-use email addresses or contact via web forms. For the
reasons given above, we do not consider it appropriate to introduce such
measures at this time. However, we will monitor the development and
implementation of different technologies by industry providers in other
domain spaces for possible application in .au."