[DNS] Australia's luckiest man?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:31:08 +0100
Some other relevant examples:

sydney.com.au - google.com.au ranking #1 for a search on "sydney"
melbourne.com.au - google.com.au ranking #7 for a search on "melbourne"
brisbane.com.au - google.com.au ranking #52 for a search on "brisbane" (#46
if you limit the search to pages from Australia)

All of these names have existed for many years and are all registered to
the same individual.  Presumably if there was significant intrinsic value
in having geographically generic names such as these then they would all
be highly ranked in google.  The fact that they're not simply demonstrates
that the name itself does not guarantee traffic.

As Kim quite rightly points out, it's not the name but what you do with
it that counts.

Jon