[DNS] Time for the rules to change regarding transferring domainname licences

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:11:49 +1000
Jason Backshall [jbackshall&#167;staff.iinet.net.au] wrote:

> >Now that auDA has (finally) caught up with reality and released the
> >remaining generic and geographic names that weren't registered when Mr
> Elz >was away on holiday back in the mid 90's, it would seem a good time
> to >remove another artificial (and ineffective) restriction on the
> development >of the .au domain name industry.
>

> The only problem with that is - whose job is it to define what is
> effective, and what is ineffective development of the industry?
>
> Removing the restrictions in place, in my opinion, would be
> counter-productive, and would only bring us closer to the free-for-all
> that is the US .com system. By lifting the restrictions, you only open
> the door to squatters and the like, which in the minds of many, would be
> a backwards step in many peoples' minds. Those 'restrictions' are there
> for a reason, and have served the industry well. Why change now?

because they dont serve the community or industry at all. since you are
not on the front lines you obviously dont get to deal with the endless
excpetions and iritation that arbitrary and pointless rules inflict on
the public. maybe youd like to man my phones when we get an irate
customer? you will quickly change your mind about how well these rules
are working.

Vic