[DNS] Regarding cybersquatting

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:54:30 +1000
Hello Ron,

> As a matter of interest I support some mechanism
> that simplifies domain name transfer.  My difficulty is in
> deciding where cyber-squatting ends and legitimate transfer
> begins.

The first thing is to separate the two issues.

Cybersquatting applies equally to both registrations and transfers.
It already has a solution (ie auDRP).  If this solution needs improving
then lets review the auDRP policy.   I am not aware that cybersquatting
is a major problem for .com.au today.

The rules for licence transfers should be the same as for registrations.
Ie the registrar would do an eligibility check (check ACN/ABN and
require a warrant for close and substantial etc).   Again if the
eligibility check needs improving - then lets review that policy.

Regards,
Bruce