[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 11:57:51 +1000
Marty Drill - Domain Candy [marty&#167;domaincandy.com.au] wrote:
> Hey Vic
>
> This issue relating to NetReg dispute aside, do you propose that .au be
> completely opened up so that there is no policy.
>
> Ie adopt the TLD policy of basically no policy?

yes. my position on this hasnt changed in over a decade.

the policies do not prevent scammers. legal action based on TPA does.

> Not having a go, simply want to know you exact position. Also, your thoughts
> on how the Australian Government would feel about that position. And whether
> you think that the Govt would intervene and override auDA if your position
> was adopted?

absolutely. the government wants to reduce red tape for small
business and eliminating these kinds of policies fits right into that vision.

the policy keeps auda and registrars artificially busy while sending vast
numbers of customers overseas.

while we are talking of bad policies:
if you consider that in the pyramid of business sizes, the biggest layer ie
soho businesses is not the bottom layer. underneath soho is an even
bigger layer of what I call proto businesses. these are people thinking
about going into business or investigating setting up a business or just
dreaming about it. this layer does not qualify for an abn and as such
they dont qualify for a .com.au (you are not allowed to apply for an
abn simply to apply for a domain name). elimination of requirement for a
magic number would let these people back into the space. this is another
bad and useless policy that has outlived its use by date.

Vic