[DNS] Domain dispute heats up

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:44:17 +1000
China has com.cn and recently opened .cn

India likewise.

The reality is that on any measure you care to take, company.au is better
than company.com.au - it's easier to remember, it's shorter. Hey, it even
saves ink when you print it. Closing the third level removes confusion
between net.au and com.au (ie: two registrants with the same name in
different 2LDs).

One of the biggest reasons to my mind is that xxx.au is a better competitor
to xxx.com and xxx.biz for Australian companies.

There are many examples of countries doing away witht he third level. I'm
not aware of any that have gone from registrations in the second level to
registrations in the third.

Larry