[DNS] france ditches magic number requirement Re: Domaindispute heats up

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:58:53 +1000
Edwin,

Two points:

Firstly, who pay's your bills? Your antipathy to businesses making a buck
would look better if you lived in a $100 a week shack and worked as a
volunteer in a non-profit organisation.

We all profit from our economic activity. Individually we profit from our
jobs by way of our salaries after our expenses. Or at least we aim to
profit. This entire avenue of discourse about wealthy registrars is
irrelevant and condescending. Far from making registrars evil, profiting
makes us just like everybody else.

Secondly, I have no issue with the rest of your post - it's quite
interesting - good research.

What it does show is that Belgium, Netherlands and Germany - three countries
generally accepted to be advanced wrt the development of their internet
economies have dramatically higher ccTLD domain per capita penetration than
Australia.

The missing piece of the puzzle here is not what this says about the
relative wealth of these countries, but rather how well supported their
businesses communities are by the domestic domain name industry and
regulatory regime.

Australia has 1.2m non AU domain names. Double the number of .AU names. A
far higher ratio than the three countries mentioned. Many may say 'so what'.
I think it's a scandal that our regulatory regime drives Australian
businesses to register .com's over .AU's. Regardless of the relative merits,
it is auDA's job to SUPPORT uptake of .AU for Australian's, no RETARD that
uptake as it does.

Larry