[DNS] france ditches magic number requirement Re:Domaindisputeheats up

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:05:10 +1000
Darryl,

You are absolutely correct about price. Red tape in .au makes it more
expensive. Poor tender management by auDA results in the registry taking
more than their fare share. Siphoning millions of dollars into separate
legal entities for dubious endeavours all add to the cost of your .com.au
name.

Making businesses jump through hoops to justify their selection of name has
the same effect.

It drives people away from .au to .com. I think that's bad. I'd prefer
Australian businesses to use .au. Partly from self interest and partly
because I think in most cases it's more appropriate.

I disagree with your assertion that the current policy enforces the .au
branding. As you said, most people don't understand. They choose what is
easier and what is cheaper. And the numbers show the result: gTLDs 2,
Australia 1

Larry