[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Sean K. Finn <Sean.Finn§ozservers.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:29:19 +1000
On a serious level, trying to look at it from the same side here, does
anyone have any proposals for allowing easy transfer and disposal of
.com.au domain names without inviting the domain name land grab solely
for the purpose of making a buck when someone who wants the name finally
comes along (AKA domain speculation).It is a practise I find offensive.

Does making the step to allow easy transfer between non related entities
then open the flood gates for the argument to allow domain speculation
in .au?

It may legitimize a pre existing black market trade in .au domains to
the point of convenience, but will it then encourage a further, greater
black market of domain speculation by making it just that little bit
easier?

I'd support the easy transferal of domains between TWO ELIGIBLE
entities, but I would INSIST that AuDA itself, and not the registrars,
perform the checks required to ensure that..

A) The loosing party had a legitimate claim, and is waiving that claim,
B) The domain in question is put to public auction by Auda, with email
notification to all Registrars and authorized AuDA resellers, to give
all and sundry a chance to bid at fair market value, conducted by a
government accredited Auction House or Auctioneer.
C) The Highest bidder gets the domain, and the proceeds get split 50/50
Auda and loosing registrant, plus a processing fee for wasting AuDA's
time. (Whichever is greater).

That should even appease all of the Capitalism nuts on the list.

> I'd have to agree with that.  AuDA have shown by their actions
(generic

> name auctions etc) and by their words (the transfers policy I referred
> earlier) that in a practical sense at least, a domain name licence is
> transferrable asset.  As long as the eligibility criteria are met by
the
> new registrant, I can see no public policy gain from restricting the >
trading
> of domain name licences.  There is, on the other hand, a demonstrable
> public
> policy gain from freeing up Australian businesses to acquire and
dispose
> of domain name licences as they would any other business asset.  Abuse
of
> this process would then be dealt with under the terms of the Trade >
Practices
> Act, as it is for other industries.

> I think it's also important to make the point that legitimising the >
secondary
> market does not necessarily equal "turning .au into .com".  While the
eligibility
> criteria remain in place, the .au domain space will always retain a
degree
> of value for Australian businesses that other spaces never will.

> Jon

Sandali
>> Sent: Tuesday, 18 July 2006 12:07 PM
>> To: .au DNS Discussion List
>> Subject: Re: [DNS] Secondary Market
>>
>> On behalf of the Government ?  No, they are not a Government agency
and
>> don't act on behalf of the Government.  Unless I am mistaken auDA
made
>the
>> decision about selling/auctioning domains.
>>
>> Robert

Of
>> Sean K. Finn
>> Sent: Tuesday, 18 July 2006 11:40
>> To: .au DNS Discussion List
>> Subject: Re: [DNS] Secondary Market
>>

>> Auda has done it on behalf of the Australian Government, have they
not?

>> Same rules as agents should apply.
>>
>> Complain to the source, don't kill the messenger.
>>
>> -Sean.

Of