[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Charlie McCormack <charlie§mccormack.net.au>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:01:58 +1000
Hi David,

Yes I know, that's not the point.

The point is they are issuing a license to use a word that may already be
protected, or restricting the sale of intellectual property.

You don't actually need to register the trademark, it's only to save you
court costs in the future if anyone was to use it, if you can prove you were
using it before anyone else you can still claim ownership to it.

You will have notice that a trademark can be described like so;

- MYSECRETWORD (TM) - this is an unregistered mark
- MYSECRETWORD (R) - this is a registered and approved trademark

The IP Laws recognise an unregistered trademark.

My point, does auDA have the right to issue a license to a mark that is
already protected even if it is the trademark holder?