[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Charlie McCormack <charlie§mccormack.net.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:54:24 +1000
You are missing the point.

There are only about 2-4 classes (from memory) that will protect a word or
series or words from online use.

Go and try register Microsoft in ANY namespace and see what happens, no they
don't have them all.

Anyone remember Microsoft trying to protect the numbers 1 and 0? It didn't
happen, for obvious reasons, but imagine if they got it?

As the internet does not have specific law written for it, it must follow
our current laws.

Does auDA have the right to issue a license to use a domain name (protectedc
trademark) when that domain name is protected by IP laws because the word
has been registered as a trademark in all relevant classes.

I think the wording needs to be changed from license to management fee or
maintenance fee or something else, because as it stands, it could be argued
that auDA is issuing a license to a protected mark.

Remember law works on definition, and license is the wrong word to use.

Actually Apple is a bad example, because Apple can not be protected as a
word in itself because it's used in everyday dealings and is in the English
dictionary, so no one has rights to the word Apple :)

That example you show only shows you are not seeing the point of IP law.