[DNS] Secondary Market

From: Darryl <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:10:42 +1000

I think one of our fundamental differences is what we see as the real value.
I see the real value of domain names as being equal for all and at a price
point which covers costs and enough profit to cover future expansion and
development.  Any artificial inflation of the value is undesirable in my mind.

|> I think you also need to remember that auDA have already
|> created a secondary market with relatively high sale prices
|> for domain names through the generic auction process and yet
|> the sky hasn't fallen in yet.
|>
|> Which leads me to ask the question, how is it equitable for
|> auDA to sell generic domain names at a significant premium,
|> while restricting the ability of the companies that bought
|> those names to sell them on as they see fit?

I haven't always agreed with the actions of AuDa either but in most cases I
believe they have bowed to pressure from the industry and tried to deliver a
compromise.

You are right, the freeing up of the market would cause a price drop on a lot
of domain names.  The names people may want such as the generics however will
be much higher in price and I don't really see a need for it.

Basically I want the small businesses to have a chance to get onto the field
before the market is opened up.  I want more names out there in use before the
changes you advocate are put through.  In other words, I believe it is too
soon to open the market up, I'd rather see it happen when there is a little
more saturation.  That is my current opinion at any rate, as always, it is
open to change when I see good reason to.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch