[DNS] *.com.au & *.au.com.au

From: Anand Kumria <wildfire§progsoc.uts.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:19:01 +1000
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:13:21PM +0800, James Davis wrote:

> And finally, who in their right mind at auda, allowed this policy to be
> passed.. It's idiotic.

Agreed - it is concerning that auDA want to expand their mandate when
simple technical matters like this have passed them by.

Especially since:

<http://www.iab.org/documents/docs/2003-09-20-dns-wildcards.html> and
the fact that registering top-level domains should have been an obvious
interaction problem.

Anyway, you can see that not all the entities who have registered
ccTLD.com.au are evil - just a few of them are.

If I am not mistaken you should be able to neutralise this on the Unix
DNS side by specifiying the zones in question to be "delegation-only".

Another way to do this would be to setup the zones ccTLD.com.au and
GTLD.com.au yourself and always return NXDOMAIN.

> I welcome anyone's opinions, and to find out if anyone else has seen the
> above behaviour, and if there's anything we can do to petition Auda to
> actually consider third party applications before they do something like
> this.

That should be one of their primary considerations without requiring
petitioning or anything else.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are