[DNS] *.com.au & *.au.com.au

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:38:40 +0000
Quoting Anand Kumria on Tuesday July 25, 2006:
| If I am not mistaken you should be able to neutralise this on the Unix
| DNS side by specifiying the zones in question to be "delegation-only".
| Another way to do this would be to setup the zones ccTLD.com.au and
| GTLD.com.au yourself and always return NXDOMAIN.

I'm not sure, oh say, travel.com.au would be happy with their domain
being quashed by virtue of a gTLD introduced 10 years after they
registered their domain.

One problem is that the set of TLDs is not static, but with a two letter
prohibition at least captures all possible ISO-3166-1 alpha-2 codes.

The real solution is that resolvers the _preference_ .au.com.au over .au
are broken and should be fixed. Blocking otherwise legal domains is just
applying a crude hack to patch up another hack. Just get rid of the root
cause.

kim