[DNS] Licence Period

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:15:33 +1000
Tony Owen [tony&#167;seol.net.au] wrote:
> > has traffic and removing risk, an abuse of the system? surely thats a
> > smart
> > thing to do?
>
> Vic,
>
> Do you agree registrars would have an advantage over 'the man in the street'
> if AUDA allowed the the same scope as happens in the .com domain space?

advantage in what sense? price? registrars always have a price advantage on
domains irrespective of use. is it abuse if a registrant pays $140 for a name,
when that registrar pays wholesale for its own name? thats not abuse.
maybe the time invovled in shopping around doesnt justify the cheaper
prices that could be had elsewhere. maybe the registrant is happy to pay
a premium because of trust with that registrar. who knows. you cant just
label a price difference between wholesale and retail abuse. some
registrants will happily pay 10s of thousands for a name. thats not abuse.

look at it this way, by not allowing tasting you are forcing monetisers
to sit on names far longer then need be.

again I have no problem with tasting, until someone shows me some
actual harm to registrants.

Vic