[DNS] Licence Period

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:22:53 +1000
Jon Lawrence [jon&#167;jonlawrence.com] wrote:
> The grace period is designed to give registrars the ability to cancel fraudulent
> and mistaken registrations.  It is not designed to allow for the testing
> of traffic figures on particular domain names, especially where no cost
> is incurred by doing so.  It's abusive in the sense that it's an activity
> that is not within the scope of the design of the registrar system.  I have
> no problem with anyone making money from registering domain names.  I do
> have a problem where the cost of that activity is being subsidising by other
> registrants.

I dont think using things in ways that where not considered as
necessarily abuse.  I agree that tasting shouldnt impact performance,
but thats a trivial solution.  stick tasting on a separate box
distinct from normal registrations and there is no subsidising or
penalty for normal registrants.

> If there were a cost associated with domain tasting (ie for those names
> that are not retained), then it would cease to be an abuse.

what do you consider a reasonable cost?

Vic