[DNS] free society Re: Licence Period

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:29:04 +1000
Ron Stark [ronstark&#167;snapsite.com.au] wrote:
> Let me throw in an analogy.
>
> Would anybody accept it if the Department of Consumer affairs, or an
> accountant acting as their agent, pre-registered for themselves the business
> name you might have been after or did a search on, on the premise that it
> could be more valuable to them than it is to you?
>
> There would be an uproar, and rightly so.

people have been preregistering business names for years. at one point
all shelf companies where pre formed and had names and probably still are.
where was the uproar?

there was even an avalanche of business name registrations for the sole
purpose when domains required a business name. where was the uproar?

I had to pay a premium for my mobile number because it had lots of
doubles in it.  is that a conflict of interest by the phone company?
where was the uproar over that?

registrars are not government depts, nor agents for the government.

Vic