[DNS] free society Re: Licence Period

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:50:35 +1000
Jon Lawrence [jon&#167;jonlawrence.com] wrote:
> Thought so.  In that case, how can you argue that it is acceptable for those
> that choose to engage in domain tasting to not have to pay for the service
> they are receiving?

they do pay. the annual charge is not the only fees charged on domains.
it might be the only charge registrants see but thats only because the
others are built into the price.

valuable domains still have to be bought outright. money deposited into
the registries is not refundable.  cost of capital tied up. risk of not deleting names in time.
cost involved in supervising and or developing systems. etc etc.
anyone thinking tasting is a free exercise is wrong.

however I have no issues with a small fee being imposed.

Vic