[DNS] free society Re: Licence Period

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:15:33 +0100
>The choice is simple .. be a registrar or be a speculator. The stock market
>is one of the most mature trading systems in the world, and they dont allow
>speculation or insider trading nor should AUDA.

Tony

I agree that registrars should be restricted (as they are) from
wholesale speculation in domain name.

It is however fundamentally wrong to suggest that the stock market doesn't
allow speculation.  There are certainly rules proscribing market manipulation
and other behaviours deemed to give unfair advantages to certain persons
(insider trading etc), but speculation sits at the very heart of the stock
market as well as all forex, futures and commodities markets.

People buy stock in a company because they think it will generate income,
in the form of a dividend, or in the form of a capital gain as the price
of that stock rises.  That's pretty much the dictionary definition of speculation.

I think it's therefore pretty clear that speculation is not a "bad thing"
per se.

I agree that there should be some controls on speculation within the .au
domain space, especially in the context of domain tasting as this provides
an unfair advantage to certain persons.  I totally disagree that it should
be proscribed completely.

Jon