[DNS] why do we really need a .au name instead of com.au?

From: Sean K. Finn <Sean.Finn§ozservers.com.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:48:19 +1000
>   Thinking more about it, we'd be just as well off campaigning against
the > use of "www" in domain names. 3 characters that largely don't
signify
> anything, and was subject of a spoof story in The Register some time
ago
> that I inadvertently included in the news as serious news!

What really Irks me is hosting providers that, for simple hostings, only
provide hosting on http://www.domainname.com.au/ and not
http://domainname.com.au  even though both resolve to the same IP
address on the same server.

Its as if web sites can only exist on www.domainname.com.au and no other