[DNS] Let's Talk Net

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:23:38 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

It seems to me to be the consensus from
those commenting on the accessibility issues that it?s OK to discriminate on
the basis of disability. I doubt anyone would advocate barring people of a
particular colour or race to their website, sexuality or religion. But when it
comes to accessibility and a person with a disability, then it?s OK. Oh god,
haven?t we moved on from here?

Edwin, are you seriously saying that it?s
OK to discriminate against anyone I choose to access my website on the basis
listed above? The UN Declaration of Human Rights, to start with, advocates
against this. And there is legislation in Australia
that bars against discrimination. Any more ?real-world examples? you want to
give me Edwin are just that ? discrimination.

HREOC?s fact sheet on the Disability
Discrimination Act states the Act ?makes it against the law to treat you unfairly because of
your disability. The Disability Discrimination Act is for anyone with a
disability, whatever the disability is. You are also covered if you had a
disability, or people think you have a disability and discriminate against you
because of it. People who are relatives, friends, and carers of people with a
disability are also protected by this law.? See http://hreoc.gov.au/complaints_information/guides/info_sheet_dda.html

And yes Kirk, I am saying it?s unacceptable,
and hopefully illegal, to discriminate against someone because of a whole range
of issues, including disabilities.

As for the comment by Ian ?that video sites
can be made friendly for the blind, nor audio sites for the deaf?, this is na?ve.
I can?t speak for people who are deaf, but people who are blind watch TV, go to
the cinema, go to sporting events, climb mountains, run marathons, swim ocean
swims and participate in almost any other activity you care to mention. I would
probably be right in saying that people who are blind realise there are
limitations, but there are many ways of overcoming these.

And I?m looking into where information is
readily available on accessibility and developing websites.

Cheers

David