[DNS] Let's Talk Net - accessibility for the blind

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:52:26 +1100 (EST)
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Colin Sutton wrote:

 > After the excellent summary on
 > http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Web_accessibility.asp?SnID=948102633
 > there are some links to accessibility check tools.

Thanks Colin, that's the sort of practical information I at least can
take into account.  A lot of it's just common sense, once reminded of
basic, specific, mostly zero or low cost page coding techniques.

 > I've use the bobby checker - after using Xenu to check the basics
 > (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html)

The IBM pages on the subject are again common sense - not necessarily a
common attribute among today's web designers (or rather, web page design
software package operators), even when providing content for the more or
less fully able - starting with earliest HTML design elements learned in
those primitive days when Real Webmasters wrote only in raw HTML :)

 http://www-3.ibm.com/able/guidelines/web/accessweb.html

I'd like to quote a section from the nbf.org page referenced above:

"Screen access software needs to have enough information so as to render
any given web site to the blind web surfer in a meaningful way. The
suggestions shown below will help in this regard. We are not trying here
to tell the web developer what to do to make a given web page
accessible. Rather, we approach the problem by telling the web developer
what the blind user needs in order to use a web site. Once the developer
understands what is needed, the specific strategy for how to achieve the
goal is, rightfully, up to the developer."

Cheers, Ian