[DNS] Use of wildcard resource records

From: Sean K. Finn <Sean.Finn§ozservers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:56:54 +1000
I think Jason's asking AuDA's WHY, not your WHY...

As in, the technical reason for deleting .au domains.

But I think from reading the AuDA post, that they would only be deleting

GENERIC domains WITH wildcards

i.e. both conditions must be met.

Wildcards on subdomains of your own are handy, and don't really annoy
anyone, but its people who INADVERTANTLY go to a domain and get caught
by a catchall DNS record.

Its effectively the equivalent of massive typo squatting, whereby a
browser searches through many combinations of domain extensions hoping
to find a match for you.

-Sean