[DNS] Use of wildcard resource records

From: David Jones <dj_david_jones§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 12:36:48 +0000 (GMT)
--- Brenden Cruikshank
<brenden.cruikshank&#167;spiritcomm.com.au> wrote:

> What I was interested in what people's thoughts were
> on legitimate uses of
> wildcard DNS entries in a hosting environment...

I run a very large site with over 20,000 members. Each
member on signup is given a subdomain. Entries are
managed by the database in conjunction with apache
mod_rewrite.

For this to function easily I use a wildcard entry in
the DNS. This is quite a common and legitimate use of
wildcard entries.

If auDA has problems with some domains using wildcard
entries they never should have released them. If they
wish to revoke their licence for these domains then
they should reimburse the registrants or come to an
agreement over the use of these domains.

> It was silly of me to expect to see anything more
> from this list than
> reading Vic's entertaining posts calling people who
> disagree with him
> communists and the occasional smart alec comment
> which really make my day.

:-)

DJ