[DNS] Bolton wins, auDA loses, Bottle Domains lives on (for the moment)

From: info&#167;enigmaticminds.com.au <(info§enigmaticminds.com.au)>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:16:48 +1000
This is not just limited to registrars but for any person that is
effected by one of auDA's arbitrary decisions - i.e. anyone with a
domain could be effected. As there are over 1M .au domains registered,
the scope is quite large.

I would estimate that hundreds, if not thousands, of domains are
subject to auDA's arbitrary decisions each year, with no recourse for
the people affected unless they have the time and money to take it
through the courts. In most cases it's just not worth it and so they
do nothing about it. Hence the need for an option such as an ombudsman
to balance out the unfettered power of auDA.

I know of one organisation that had registered many hundreds of
domains and was using them in accordance with auDA's policies, until
one day auDA decided to use their arbitrary power to delete them all.
It cost the registrant many tens-of-thousands of dollars to fight this
issue and they eventually got to keep the domains.

If you speak to those high-up in the various registrars, they could
tell you story after story of such arbitrary decisions by auDA, even
decisions which appear completely contradictory.

Something needs to be done.