[DNS] Telstra DNS redirection

From: Larry Bloch <Larry.Bloch§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:55:53 +1100
Hi James,

I do appreciate the benefits of a utopian control of convention that remains safe and unchanging. It's just not the real world.

As it turns out

	- there is no real need for universal TCP ping responses but there is a real need to protect machines by blocking ping.
	- there is no real need for parked domains to be wharehoused invisibly, but there is one to "spread them far and wide"
	- There is less of a need for universal contractibility of domain owners via whois data than individual protection and privacy

Each of these outcomes is exactly right because it is driven by the organic development of an organism rather than the deterministic dictates of a master plan. The Internet is useful BECAUSE it evolves to meet the needs of its user base, not in spite of it.

Inter cooperation of members isn't threatened by commercial exploitation, its defined by it, its enabled by it, its paid for by it, it basically doesn't exist without that widespread commercial exploitation. We're long past the period when academic, military and public budgets can fund what we do with the internet - and despite the purity and selflessness of those halcyon days, I love the commercial Internet far more - not because I make money from it, but because that commerciality has paid for and created so many wonderful things and has supported a population so far in excess of what would otherwise be possible.

The Internet is dead. Long live the Internet.

Regards,

Larry Bloch

Direct: ???????????? (02) 9934-0536
Mobile: ?????????? (0411) 545-118