[DNS] domain name news - 1 February

From: David Goldstein <goldstein_david§yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:24:30 -0800 (PST)
Don't forget to check out http://www.auda.org.au/domain-news/ for the archive of the last 3 months of the news.

And see my website - http://GoldsteinReport.com/ - for daily updates in between postings.

The domain name news is supported by auDA

To 4,294,967,296 and Beyond ? Under 10% of IPv4 Space Remains: Adoption of IPv6 Is Essential
http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-29jan10-en.htm

ICANN CEO: The Road Ahead is Paved with Tweets
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/article.php/3861521

ICANN Head Sounds Policy Alarm On Rapidly Shrinking Internet Space
http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2010/01/29/icann-head-sounds-policy-alarm-on-rapidly-shrinking-internet-space/

nz: Consultation on Second Level Domains Policy Review
http://dnc.org.nz/2LD-review09

InternetNZ appoints Chief Executive Officer
http://blog.internetnz.net.nz/?p=307

The .se domain dominates the Swedish market while .com is receding
http://www.iis.se/en/2010/01/28/se-domanen-dominerar-svenska-marknaden-medan-com-tappar/

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
To 4,294,967,296 and Beyond ? Under 10% of IPv4 Space Remains: Adoption of IPv6 Is Essential
History of IPv4: It has long been anticipated, but the available pool of unallocated Internet addresses using the older IPv4 protocol ? which holds a total of slightly more than four billion IP addresses - has now dipped to below the 10 percent mark, meaning that there are only a bit over 400 million IP addresses left in the global pool of unallocated addresses.
http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-29jan10-en.htm

Keynote Speech at .ORG Event by Rod Beckstrom
Today I have had the honor to provide the keynote speech at the First Annual .ORG Forum hosted by the Public Internet Registry, in Washington DC. The title of this keynote is ?The Future of ICANN? and I am making available a copy of this speech (as well as translations in Spanish, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Chinese and German) with this blog.
http://blog.icann.org/2010/01/keynote-speech-at-org-event/

Public Comment: Amendment of the GNSO Operating Procedures on the 2010 Selection Process for ICANN Board Seat 13
The GNSO Council is seeking comments on amendments to the GNSO Operating Procedures related to the 2010 selection process for ICANN Board Seat 13. Under the ICANN Bylaws, the Contracted Party House selects the individual to fill Board Seat 13, currently held by Bruce Tonkin. Mr. Tonkin?s term ends on 30 April 2010. The GNSO Council has adopted the selection process proposed by the Contracted Party House for the upcoming 2010 election.
http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-28jan10-en.htm

ICANN CEO: The Road Ahead is Paved with Tweets
ICANN, the group that helps to oversee the governance of the Internet, strives to be an open and transparent organization. It's a goal that ICANN CEO Rob Beckstrom said he takes very seriously and is now using Twitter as part of the effort.
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/article.php/3861521
http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3861531/ICANN+Chief+Tweets+to+Inform.htm

ICANN Chief Tweets to Inform
Rod Beckstrom says he's determined to keep the Internet organization's plans transparent, despite criticism that he's sharing too much via Twitter.
http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3861531

ICANN Head Sounds Policy Alarm On Rapidly Shrinking Internet Space
The internet?s technical governing body plans to make a push to educate the global users of the internet on the network?s latest generation technology known as IPv6, Rod Beckstrom, president and CEO of ICANN, said this week.
http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2010/01/29/icann-head-sounds-policy-alarm-on-rapidly-shrinking-internet-space/

ICANNs Rod Beckstrom talks with Toufic Gebran of Alhurra Television
Rod Beckstrom, President and CEO of ICANN, discusses the launch of international domain names (IDNs) with Toufic Gebran of Alhurra TV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKOxX4CKoE

David Olive joins ICANN as VP Policy Development Support
ICANN has named David Olive Vice President of Policy Development Support. Olive ends his 20 year tenure at Fujitsu where he most recently was General Manager and Chief Corporate Representative in the Washington office and will join ICANN on February 15th, 2010.
http://www.domainnamenews.com/people/david-olive-joins-icann-vp-policy-development-support/7041

High Tech Corporate Veteran Named as Vice President of Policy Development Support
David Olive, a seasoned expert in technology public policy formation has been selected to lead ICANN?s Policy Development team in Washington, D.C.
http://www.thefirstreporter.com/press-release/high-tech-corporate-veteran-named-as-vice-president-of-policy-development-support/

WIPO Letter on GNSO-STI Report on Trademark Protection in New gTLDs
Dear Sirs, The Arbitration and Mediation Center of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO Center) is pleased to submit these comments on the ?STI Report on Trademark Protection in New gTLDs? which contains proposals for a Trademark Clearinghouse (TC) and Uniform Rapid Suspension procedure (URS). We support the concepts of the TC and URS; however, targeted adjustments must be made to better protect existing trademark rights, further minimize burdens on DNS stakeholders (registries, registrars, registrants, and trademark owners), and help ICANN meet aspirations in its Affirmation of Commitments, in particular promoting consumer trust and choice, and preserving the security and stability of the DNS.
http://wipo.int/export/sites/www/amc/en/docs/icann260110.pdf

Video: ICANN and the Internet Ecosystem
From the January 27 event "ICANN and the Internet Ecosystem". Rod Beckstrom, President & CEO of ICANN, discussed his vision for the future of the internet and internet governance. He explained how the ICANN process works in the context of a presentation he has developed about the Internet Ecosystem. Rod developed this presentation early in his tenure as CEO of ICANN in an effort to simplify the complex web of stakeholders, their responsibilities and structures that contribute to, and enhance the bottom up multistakeholder model that is ICANN.
http://csis.org/multimedia/video-icann-and-internet-ecosystem

Kenya to host ICANN meeting
Kenya will host the next round of the African ICANN meetings to be held between March 7 -12 2010.
http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=62126
http://intellibriefs.blogspot.com/2010/01/kenya-to-host-icann-meeting.html

Big Brands Shooting Themselves In The Foot? by Michele Neylon
One of the topics that keeps coming up in ICANN policy discussions and as part of the new TLD application process is "transparency".
http://www.isquattedyour.eu/2010/01/28/big-brands-shooting-themselves-in-the-foot/
http://www.circleid.com/posts/big_brands_shooting_themselves_in_the_foot/

Why is ICANN Traveling Without Moving and Thwarting Innovation in the Domain Space? by Constantine Roussos
I just returned from a music conference in Cannes, where I met with government art councils/country delegates from across the globe to discuss .music. I am pleased to say that all the government agencies/representatives I had the pleasure to talk to saw a value in .music and creating a global brand that would help them expose their national culture and music internationally.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/why_icann_traveling_without_innovation_in_domain_space/

Governments Deliver Another Blow to New Top Level Domain Timeline
The Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) is asking ICANN to delay a decision on the so-called ?Expressions of Interest? process for new top level domain names.
http://domainnamewire.com/2010/01/28/governments-deliver-another-blow-to-new-top-level-domain-timeline/

ICANN?s Proposed EOI Likely to Limit the Number of New gTLDs
Thinking about applying for a new generic top level domain? Then ante up $55,000 for the right to file an application.
http://www.internetcommerce.org/ICANN_EOI_to_Limit_Number_of_New_gTLDs

Expression of Interests for new gTLDs Explained. Last Chance for Public Comments with ICANN
Most people would agree that in all areas of life, it is best to hope for the best but to be prepared for the worst. We keep fire extinguishers in our homes, earthquake kits in our cars and wear helmets when we ride our bicycles. We can anticipate problems that might arise and prepare for them. If this logic were subscribed to, it would then follow that prior to embarking on a large-scale business endeavor one would want to take every measure to prepare.
http://www.namesmash.com/?p=452

gTLD Delays Imminent
The Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) has asked ICANN to postpone a decision on the ?Expressions of Interest? (EOI) process for new gTLDs until after the ICANN Nairobi Meeting, which begins on March 7, 2010.
http://idnblog.com/2010/01/28/gtld-delays-imminent/

Do Governments Have a Veto at ICANN?
Yesterday, at the .ORG Forum, ICANN CEO Rod Beckstrom said,
http://www.mindsandmachines.com/2010/01/do-governments-have-a-veto-at-icann/

ICANN Shuts Down DomainCannon, Owes $187,000 in Fees
ICANN has sent a notice of termination to New Orleans-based domain name registrar DomainCannon, citing a number of infractions. The registrar apparently owes $186,598.39 in past due accreditation fees. Additionally, it?s web site is not available, and it has failed to escrow whois data, the letter states.
http://domainnamewire.com/2010/01/29/icann-shuts-down-domaincannon-owes-187000-in-fees/

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
Internet and e-commerce industry in Belize
... At one point, .bz domains were being marketed by an American company as standing for "business", and that company took legal action against ICANN in an attempt to block the .biz domain as "unfair competition". As for now, the registry is in Belize, but is still marketing the domain outside the country as "meaning business". Internationalized domains with a wide assortment of non-ASCII characters are also available.
http://ecommerce-journal.com/articles/26663_internet-and-e-commerce-industry-belize

A Great Day for the Security of Czech Internet
Almost 15,000 Czech domains (14,236) started to be secured by DNSSEC today which protects information stored in the Domain Name System (DNS) from forging and misuse.
http://www.nic.cz/page/715/a-great-day-for-the-security-of-czech-internet--/

AFNIC invites network managers to prepare for the signing of the DNS root in May 2010 [news release]
From May 2010, all the root servers on which the working of the domain name system depends, will be giving DNS responses signed by using the DNSSEC protocol.
http://www.afnic.fr/actu/nouvelles/240/afnic-invites-network-managers-to-prepare-for-the-signing-of-the-dns-root-in-may-2010
http://www.domainpulse.com/2010/01/28/afnic-invites-network-managers-to-prepare-for-the-signing-of-the-dns-root-in-may-2010/
http://www.domainnews.com/en/afnic-invites-network-managers-to-prepare-for-the-signing-of-the-dns-root-in-may-2010.html

AFNIC deploys its own anycast cloud
The anycast technology boosts the performance and security of the DNS infrastructures. AFNIC today deployed its own anycast cloud to increase the robustness of the .fr domain and its quality of service in domain name resolution.
http://www.afnic.fr/actu/nouvelles/238/afnic-deploys-its-own-anycast-cloud

nz: Consultation on Second Level Domains Policy Review
The submission period for this consultation is now closed. ... This policy was last reviewed over 2003-2004 when a Working Group put out papers for public consultation. These papers sought comment on a number of issues including introducing registrations in .nz at the second level and the process for creating a new second level domain. The review resulted in changes to the process of creating a new second level domain but did not introduce .nz registrations at the second level.
http://dnc.org.nz/2LD-review09

InternetNZ appoints Chief Executive Officer
InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) is pleased to announce the appointment of Vikram Kumar as its new Chief Executive Officer.
http://blog.internetnz.net.nz/?p=307

A partnership between the FCCN and the INPI results in an innovative service
The FCCN (Foundation for National Scientific Computing), in partnership with the INPI (National Institute of Industrial Property) has made a free online tool available for the integrated search of brands and .PT domains. In just four months, since this service came into effect, over 25,000 viewings have been recorded, reflecting the success that this initiative has had from the start.
https://online.dns.pt/dns_2008/do?com=DS;2217917768;111;+PAGE(4000002)+K-NOTICIA(1027)+K-CAT-CODIGO(LNH)

.?? Russian TLD Projected Release Date is Announced
The Russian extension, .??, is expected to be transferred to Russia in late March. Russia?s eagerness to move forward with this process quickly was apparent ever since the country filed an application for this IDN TLD just hours after applications were first accepted on November 16, 2009.
http://idnblog.com/2010/01/31/??-russian-tld-projected-release/

The .se domain dominates the Swedish market while .com is receding
The .se domain is growing stronger while .com is losing its? foothold in Sweden. According to SCB?s report, ?IT use of enterprises 2009?, 88 percent of all companies choose to register .se addresses, while 32 percent choose .com.
http://www.iis.se/en/2010/01/28/se-domanen-dominerar-svenska-marknaden-medan-com-tappar/

uk: DNSSEC signing .uk on 1 March 2010
As part of the global effort to improve the security of DNS, amongst other registries we are implementing DNSSEC in the zones under our management. DNSSEC prevents the interception of and tampering with DNS queries between nameservers, making the Internet safer.
http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=7075

Shaping the future of .uk
Thank you to those who responded to our request for feedback on our proposed changes to our constitution. The feedback period closed yesterday and we will shortly be presenting the final resolutions to our members in advance of the EGM on 24 February 2010.
http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=7068

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
UN calls for global cyber treaty [AAP]
The world needs a treaty to prevent cyber attacks becoming an all-out war, the head of the main UN communications and technology agency has warned.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/UN-calls-for-global-cyber-treaty/0,130061744,339300673,00.htm

Survey of Executives Finds a Growing Fear of Cyberattacks
A survey of 600 computing and computer-security executives in 14 countries suggests that attacks on the Internet pose a growing threat to the energy and communication systems that underlie modern society.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/science/29cyber.html

Report: Critical infrastructure is a frequent target for cyberattacks
The majority of information technology and security executives at energy, transportation and other companies with a role in critical infrastructure say their computer networks have been infiltrated, according to a new study from a public policy research group.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20100128_5936.php

New cybersecurity coordinator says he has Obama's ear
The White House's new cybersecurity coordinator assured a roomful of technology and Internet stakeholders Wednesday that he has the authority he needs to better secure the federal government's networks.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20100128_3287.php

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
Comcast running out of IPv4 addresses, beginning IPv6 trial
Comcast is asking for volunteers to participate in its upcoming IPv6 trials.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/comcast-running-out-of-ipv4-addresses-beginning-ipv6-trial.ars

IPv6 indicator to business leaders is clear: Less than 10% of IPv4 addresses remain unallocated
Organizations relying on the Internet to conduct business have only a limited time to act and adapt to changing technology. Those that delay, run the risk their online services may become unavailable to a rapidly growing number of users.
http://www.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/16933/Press-Release-APNIC-10-Final_all-economies_V2.pdf

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
Apple Doesn't Own A Single iPad Related Domain Name
Perhaps Apple was just being extremely careful not to draw any attention to the widely speculated name of its new multimedia device prior to this morning's announcement, but one simply cannot overlook the fact that the company doesn't have ownership over any domain names related to 'iPad'.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/27/AR2010012704026.html

Should a Domain Name Registrar Run from a PO Box? by Garth Bruen
In 2008 KnujOn published a report indicating that 70 ICANN accredited Registrars had no publicly disclosed business location. The fundamental problem was one of community trust and consumer faith.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/should_a_domain_name_registrar_run_from_a_po_box/

Proposal to extend DNS with Peer to Peer server-independence
Google and others have just proposed that DNS be extended. If DNS is going to be changed in such a minor way, why not do something much more useful and interesting, which has a fully-functioning implementation already in prevalent use for over fifteen years on millions of free software systems? Why not make the DNS protocol a true server-independent peer-to-peer Naming Service? In combination with the modern DNSSEC extensions, many of the complaints associated with the current peer-to-peer free software implementation would vanish.
http://www.advogato.org/article/1033.html

When the Domain Name You Want Is Already Taken
First determine who owns it and when ownership will expire. Then contact the owner directly and also prepare to bid on it via an online service
http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jan2010/sb20100128_249641.htm

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
Website.de Tops Sedo Sales For The Week
Website.de was the top selling domain name for Sedo in the week to 25 January selling for ?101,150 ($142,214), far higher than the second biggest seller, which was bookkeepers.com ($34,000). Third biggest seller for the week was juegos-gratis.com (?13,500 / $19,000).
http://www.domainpulse.com/2010/01/28/websitede-tops-sedo-sales-for-the-week/

When Using Ebay to Sell Domain Names is a Smart Move
I was once an active Ebay domain seller. This was before I knew about domain forums, and I knew relatively little about other domain sales venues such as Snapnames. I did fairly well selling inexpensive domain names on Ebay, although I haven?t done so in quite some time. I want to share one example of when using Ebay to sell domain names can be very smart.
http://www.elliotsblog.com/when-using-ebay-to-sell-domain-names-is-a-smart-move

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
A world of hits: Ever-increasing choice was supposed to mean the end of the blockbuster. It has had the opposite effect [from the 26 November print edition of The Economist]
Novermber 20th saw the return of an old phenomenon: the sold-out cinema. ?New Moon?, a tale of vampires, werewolves and the women who love them, earned more in a single day at the American box office than any film in history. The record may not stand for long: next month ?Avatar?, a three-dimensional action movie thick with special effects, will be released (see picture). This film?s production budget is reportedly $230m, which would make it one of the most expensive movies ever made. ?Avatar? will be a great disappointment if its worldwide ticket sales fail to exceed $500m. Yet it is a reflection of how things are changing in the media business that such an outcome is unlikely.
http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14959982

Want to rile Google as well as China? Create a fake YouTube site.
As the Google-China face-off spirals and even entangles President Obama, one Chinese computer whiz adds to the fray by creating a fake version of YouTube. That simultaneously violates Google?s intellectual property and China?s strict censorship.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2010/0126/Want-to-rile-Google-as-well-as-China-Create-a-fake-YouTube-site.

Google and YouTube copies launch in China
Imitation websites of both Google and YouTube have emerged in China as the country faces off against the real Google over its local operations.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/28/google-youtube-imitation-china

In Google We Trust: Why the company's standoff with China might change the future of the Internet.
After having spent the better part of his 17-year career advising groups from NATO to the Palestinian Authority on issues of cybersecurity, development, and governance, Rafal Rohozinski has been known to say that computers can potentially cause more damage than a nuclear bomb.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/232793

Wikileaks temporarily shuts down due to lack of funds
The whistleblowing website Wikileaks has temporarily shut down because of a lack of funds.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/29/wikileaks-temporarily-closes-lack-funds

**********************
SOCIAL NETWORKING
**********************
A world of connections: Online social networks are changing the way people communicate, work and play, and mostly for the better
The annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, currently in progress, is famous for making connections among the global great and good. But when the delegates go home again, getting even a few of them together in a room becomes difficult. To allow the leaders to keep talking, the forum?s organisers last year launched a pilot version of a secure online service where members can post mini-biographies and other information, and create links with other users to form collaborative working groups. Dubbed the World Electronic Community, or WELCOM, the forum?s exclusive online network has only about 5,000 members.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15351002

Privacy 2.0: Give a little, take a little
If there is one thing that could halt the ascent of social networks, it is the vexed question of privacy. This is controversial because it goes right to the heart of the social-networking business model. In order to attract users, sites need to offer ways for members to restrict the information about themselves that gets shared with a wider public. Without effective controls people would be reluctant to sign up. But if a site allows members to keep too much of their information private, there will be less traffic that can be turned into profit through advertising and various other means, so the network?s business will suffer.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350984

Global swap shops: Why social networks have grown so fast-and how Facebook has become so dominant
Facebook has not only helped people to make zillions of new connections, it has also inspired a screenplay. A film called ?The Social Network?, due to be released later this year, will trace the site?s meteoric rise from its foundation in 2004 to become king of the social-networking world. How have social networks managed to shoot to such prominence that they are already being given the Hollywood treatment?
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350972

Twitter's transmitters: the magic of 140 characters
Biz Stone, one of Twitter?s co-founders, uses the term ?social alchemy? to describe the way in which short, seemingly inconsequential 140-character messages are often transformed into something of real value. Imagine, he says, that you are having a drink at an airport bar waiting to catch your flight. You send out a tweet explaining where you are and what you are drinking. Perhaps you get no response. But it is also possible that a friend who is ?following? you on Twitter happens to be in the airport at the same time, sees your tweet and comes over to say hello. Thus what would otherwise have been a solitary moment is magically transformed into a pleasant encounter.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350950

The future of social networking: towards a socialised state - the joy of unlimited communication
What will the future of social networking look like? Imagine this: your digital video recorder automatically copies a television show that several of your friends were talking about on a social network before the show went on air. Or this: you get into your car, switch on its navigation system and ask it to guide you to a friend?s house. As you pull out of the driveway, the network to which you both belong automatically alerts her that you are on your way. And this: as you are buying a pair of running shoes that you think one of your friends might be interested in, you can send a picture to their network page with a couple of clicks on a keypad next to the checkout counter.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350960

A peach of an opportunity: small businesses are using networks to become bigger
?Hey first peaches of the season are here. Come and get your peach pie &#167;10am.? Simple tweets like that have helped Mission Pie, a small shop in San Francisco, drum up interest in its mouth-watering array of sweet and savoury pies. As well as twittering about its wares, the store also alerts customers to poetry readings and other events it organises. Krystin Rubin, a co-owner of Mission Pie, says the business had just 150 or so followers for a while after one of its bakers started sending out tweets almost a year ago. Then that number suddenly shot up to over 1,000. Over the past few months business has been very brisk and Ms Rubin reckons Twitter deserves part of the credit. ?It has a sort of street credibility that?s not there with traditional media,? she says.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350940

Yammering away at the office: a distraction or a bonus?
An astonishing amount of time is being wasted on investigating the amount of time being wasted on social networks. Studies regularly claim that the use of Twitter, Facebook and other such services poses a threat to corporate wealth. One published last year by Morse, an IT company, estimated that personal use of social networks during the working day was costing the British economy almost ?1.4 billion ($2.3 billion) a year in lost productivity. Another, by Nucleus Research, an American firm, concluded that if companies banned employees from using Facebook while at work, their productivity would improve by 1.5%.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350928

Social contracts: the smart way to hire workers
When it comes to online networking, cyberspace often mimics the real world. There are networks such as Facebook and MySpace that are mainly for socialising with friends, and there are others such as LinkedIn, France?s Viadeo and Germany?s Xing that concentrate on work-related matters. The sites aimed at professionals, although much smaller than the ones for hanging out with friends, are already having a big effect on labour markets.
http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15350994

British Godfather Colin Gunn used Facebook to run empire from jail
One of Britain?s most dangerous gangsters has been using Facebook to threaten and intimidate his enemies from a maximum security prison.
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article7009743.ece

British gangster used Facebook to intimidate enemies from cell
Jack Straw, the Secretary of State for Justice, has announced a crackdown on prisoners using Facebook after it emerged that a gangland kingpin has spent the past two months using the social networking site to intimidate his enemies.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/gangster-used-facebook-to-intimidate-enemies-from-cell-1884628.html

Gangster used Facebook to threaten enemies while in jail
One of Britain's most dangerous gangsters used Facebook to threaten his enemies while in a maximum-security prison for conspiracy to murder.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/7115085/Gangster-used-Facebook-to-threaten-enemies-while-in-jail.html

Fakebook: impostors target Australian Test cricketers
Bogus social networking internet sites are being created under the names of Australia's top cricketers.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/fakebook-impostors-target-test-cricketers-20100130-n5hd.html

**********************
NEW TECHNOLOGIES
**********************
For Apple, iPad Said More Than Intended
Apple has generated a lot of chatter with its new iPad tablet. But it may not be quite the conversation it wanted.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/29name.html

CHILD PROTECTION, FILTERING & CONTENT REGULATION
au: New laws flagged to crack down on cyber-predators [AAP]
Adults who pose as teenagers online in order to meet minors could be jailed under new laws proposed by South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/new-laws-flagged-to-crack-down-on-cyberpredators-20100130-n4zf.html

au: Proposed internet predator laws 'naive'
The South Australian Council for Civil Liberties (CCL) says a proposed new law that aims to protect children from online predators will not work.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/31/2805964.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/31/2805954.htm

Simpsons, Powerpuff Girls porn nets jail time for Australian
... Twenty-eight-year-old Kurt James Milner was turned into police for having questionable material on his computer in early 2008, but due to technical difficulties, police were unable to retrieve information from his machine for more than a year. Once they were able to do so, however, they found 64 sexually explicit images depicting characters from the aforementioned TV shows. As many of you Simpsons fans know, there are numerous children who make regular appearances on the show, and they were apparently "not excluded from these images.''
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/simpsons-powerpuff-girls-porn-nets-jail-time-for-australian.ars

Child porn blocking software debated [The Dominion Post]
InternetNZ has hit out at moves by Internal Affairs to introduce software that blocks child pornography websites, claiming that the software is misleading and largely ineffective.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3281009/

InternetNZ rejects internet filtering [Computerworld]
InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) has released a position paper rejecting centralised internet filtering as an acceptable approach for New Zealand.
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/334343/
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/334343/internetnz_rejects_internet_filtering/
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/334343/internetnz_rejects_internet_filtering
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/334343/internetnz_rejects_internet_filtering
http://www.techworld.com.au/article/334343/internetnz_rejects_internet_filtering
http://www.thestandard.com/news/2010/01/28/internetnz-rejects-internet-filtering
http://www.infoworld.com/d/networking/internetnz-rejects-internet-filtering-135
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=7692A9C5-1A64-67EA-E4697BDA560972CF

Save the Date ? Safer Internet Day 2010
The 7th edition of Safer Internet Day will be celebrated on 9 February 2010 in more than 60 countries across the world and this year will focus on the theme Think before you post ("Think B4 U post!").
http://www.iwf.org.uk/media/news.277.htm

pl: THINK BEFORE YOU SEND! 9 February ? Safer Internet Day 2010
On 9 February 2010 whole Europe will celebrate Safer Internet Day (SID). In Poland, it will be organised by the Nobody's Children Foundation (NCF) and the Research and Academic Computer Network (NASK), forming the Polish Centre of the Programme ?Safer Internet?. Local initiatives in the area of the online safety of the youngest net surfers will be organised all over the country. A campaign dedicated to the protection of the privacy in the Internet ? ?Think B4 U post!? ? is going to be launched in all member states of the European Union.
http://www.nask.pl/newsID/id/596

**********************
ONLINE TV & MUSIC
**********************
UK law firm's piracy hunt condemned
Music industry representative the BPI has criticised the approach used by a UK law firm in chasing file-sharers. Law firm ACS:Law has sent thousands of letters to people it claims have downloaded illegal content.

The Lessons of Lady Gaga
With digital dominance, business savvy, a niche-busting sound and 1,001 wardrobe changes, she is a new model for success ... Lady Gaga's towering digital sales, almost all of them iTunes downloads, only tell part of the story. In fact, much of Gaga's audience got her music for free, and legally. They have listened to free streams?by the hundreds of millions?on YouTube and the other online services that Gaga currently leads, according to research firm BigChampagne. On MySpace, Gaga has had 321.5 million plays. By contrast, singer Susan Boyle tallied only 133,000 plays, despite scoring the No. 2 selling album of 2009. A difference (among many) between Gaga and the dowdy Scotswoman discovered on a British talent show: Ms. Boyle's material, including "Amazing Grace," was traditional?and so were most of her buyers. Some 97% of her albums were sold on compact disc.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704094304575029621644867154.html

Fears Australian piracy case could shut off net [AFP]
Australian Internet rights groups fear a piracy court case could force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to become "copyright cops" and cut web access to customers who make illegal downloads.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/fears-australian-piracy-case-could-shut-off-net-20100201-n7dn.html
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/fears-australian-piracy-case-could-shut-off-net-20100201-n7dn.html

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
India adds record 19 million mobile users in December [Relax News]
India, the world's fastest-expanding mobile market, added more than 19 million cellular users last month to post the biggest monthly growth ever, according to official data Thursday.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/india-adds-record-19-million-mobile-users-in-december-1882727.html

India adds record 19 million mobile users in December [AFP]
India, the world's fastest-expanding mobile market, added more than 19 million cellular users last month to post the biggest monthly growth ever, according to official data Thursday.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/india-adds-record-19-million-mobile-users-in-december-20100129-n22z.html
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/india-adds-record-19-million-mobile-users-in-december-20100129-n22z.html

When Phones Are Just Too Smart
Despite the availability of over 140,000 apps on iTunes, researchers have found that the average iPhone or iPod Touch owner uses only 5 to 10 regularly.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/fashion/31apps.html

Results of Study on CellPhone Use Surprise Researchers
Laws banning cellphone use while driving apparently haven?t reduced crashes, according to a study released on Friday that compared the number of total crashes before the ban with the number after. The study found virtually no difference in the numbers, a finding that had the researchers scratching their heads.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/study-finds-that-reduced-phone-use-does-not-cut-crashes/

Global Mobile Phone Handset Sales to Rise
The global handset industry snapped out of its "year-long recession" in the fourth quarter and is expected to remain on a recovery path with shipments expected to rise 8% in the first quarter, research firm Strategy Analytics said in a report Friday.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575032534273188568.html

Mobile Advertising Ready to Grow
Every year around this time, a few brave forecasters predict that mobile advertising is going to be the next big thing in marketing. This year, there may be some reasons to listen.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/technology/01cache.html

Nokia Recharges, Motorola Lags
Nokia Corp. reported a 65% increase in fourth-quarter profit, while fellow handset maker Motorola Inc. reversed a year-ago loss but continued to lag the competition.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704878904575030712670442760.html

**************************
ONLINE CRIME, SECURITY & LEGAL
**************************
China bugs and burgles Britain
The security service MI5 has accused China of bugging and burgling UK business executives and setting up ?honeytraps? in a bid to blackmail them into betraying sensitive commercial secrets.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7009749.ece

In Digital Combat, U.S. Finds No Easy Deterrent to Cyberattacks
On a Monday morning earlier this month, top Pentagon leaders gathered to simulate how they would respond to a sophisticated cyberattack aimed at paralyzing the nation?s power grids, its communications systems or its financial networks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/world/26cyber.html

Survey of Executives Finds a Growing Fear of Cyberattacks
A survey of 600 computing and computer-security executives in 14 countries suggests that attacks on the Internet pose a growing threat to the energy and communication systems that underlie modern society.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/science/29cyber.html

Organizing cybersecurity efforts remains key challenge
With the United States facing threats of cyberattacks from foreign countries, criminal organizations and politically motivated hackers, questions linger about the federal government's approach to cybersecurity.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20100127_3447.php

Australia's computers under constant attack
Thirty per cent of computer systems for the nation's essential services such as banks, government and utilities are repeatedly attacked by hackers every month, according to an international report released today. More than half of those targets are hit multiple times a week or even multiple times a day, and the situation could get worse.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/computers-under-constant-attack-20100128-n1s0.html
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/computers-under-constant-attack-20100128-n1s0.html

Infrastructure prime target for cyberattacks
Every second critical infrastructure supplier has been a target of a cyberattack, a survey shows.
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE60R3YB20100128
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/3274227/

DDoS attacks, hacks rampant in infrastructure sectors
Massive denial-of-service attacks and "stealthy infiltration" of corporate networks by attackers is a common experience for companies in critical infrastructure sectors, including financial services, energy, water, transportation and telecom, according to a new survey.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/5B96F4243ACE7803CC2576B900732962

Power plants, other infrastructure face hackers
More than half of the operators of U.S. power plants and other "critical infrastructure" say in a new study that their computer networks have been infiltrated by sophisticated adversaries. In many cases, foreign governments are suspected.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35124645/ns/technology_and_science-security/

Critical infrastructure execs fear China
Operators of electrical grids, telecommunications networks, and other critical infrastructure say their systems are under constant attack, often from sophisticated nation-states, according to a poll of 600 IT executives in 14 countries who oversee such networks.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/28/critical_infrastructure_threat/

McAfee: Attacks on critical infrastructure are common
Cyberattacks on critical national infrastructure are common and are likely to increase, according to a report from McAfee.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,40010726,00.htm

Cyber crooks cashing in on iPad frenzy [Relax News]
Hackers and scammers are cashing in on iPad fever by luring the curious to booby-trapped websites with false promises of information about Apple's new tablet computer.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/cyber-crooks-cashing-in-on-ipad-frenzy-1884748.html

(Suckers) Victims lost $9.3 billion to 419 scammers in 2009
Advance-fee fraud (AFF), also known as 419 scams and Nigerian scams, exploded in 2009, with victims losing more money than ever before. This is according to the latest analysis from Dutch investigation firm Ultrascan?a company that has been monitoring the activities of 419 scammers since 1996?which says that victims lost almost 50 percent more money in 2009 than 2008.
http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2010/01/victims-lost-93-billion-to-419-scammers-in-2009.ars

African cybercrime threatens to derail Internet banking
An upsurge in African cybercrime targeting the financial sector threatens to derail the rollout of Internet banking and electronic commerce services and has forced the Nigerian government to raise an alarm over the vulnerability of the country's ICT infrastructure.
http://computerworld.co.ke/articles/2010/01/29/african-cybercrime-threatens-derail-internet-banking

uk: Warning over tax return deadline e-mail 'phishing' scam
Tens of thousands of fraudulent e-mails have been sent out ahead of Sunday's tax return deadline, officials say. Recipients are told they are due a tax refund and asked to fill in an online form with bank or credit card details.

77% of web users targeted by phishing scams
More than three quarters (77 percent) of web users have been targeted by an online phishing scam, says CPP.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=3211427
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/013110-77-of-web-users-targeted.html

**************************
PRIVACY
**************************
Europeans' Privacy will be big challenge in next decade, says EU Commissioner [news release]
Our privacy faces new challenges: behavioural advertising can use your internet history to better market products; social networking sites used by 41.7 million Europeans allow personal information like photos to be seen by others; and the 6 billion smart chips used today can trace your movements. The European Commission today ? Data Protection Day ? warned that data protection rules must be updated to keep abreast of technological change to ensure the right to privacy, legal certainty for industry, and the take-up of new technologies.
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/63

New EU Privacy Laws Could Hit Facebook
Technologies such as social networking, RFID, and even airport scanning have raced ahead of Europe's outdated data protection rules. Brussels aims to fix that
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jan2010/gb20100129_437053.htm

Browsers can leave a unique trail on the Web, privacy group says [IDG]
The Electronic Frontier Foundation has created an online tool that details the wealth of information a Web browser reveals, which can pose privacy concerns when used to profile users.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9150002/Browsers_can_leave_a_unique_trail_on_the_Web_privacy_group_says_
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/334453/eff_browsers_can_leave_unique_trail_web

ca: Privacy Commissioner launches new Facebook probe [news release]
In response to a new public complaint, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada is once again launching an investigation into Facebook, the social networking site whose privacy policies and practices were the subject of a comprehensive probe by her Office last summer.
http://www.priv.gc.ca/media/nr-c/2010/nr-c_100127_e.cfm

ca: Companies and individuals share responsibility for safeguarding personal information: Privacy Commissioner [news release]
Today, on Data Privacy Day 2010, Canada?s Privacy Commissioner, Jennifer Stoddart, is urging companies to ensure they have the proper systems in place to safeguard information; and reminding individuals to think twice about what they post on the Internet.
http://www.priv.gc.ca/media/nr-c/2010/nr-c_100128_e.cfm

**********************
CENSORSHIP
**********************
Australian Government welcomes Secretary Clinton?s comments on the internet [news release]
The Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, Senator Stephen Conroy, today welcomed Secretary Hilary Clinton's speech at the Newseum in Washington DC overnight.
http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2010/006

China Internet users use VPN servers to cross firewall
Paid virtual private networks (VPNs) are quietly catching on in China as a way to access forbidden websites, analysts say, while authorities are leaving them alone until they become more popular.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE60R2BM20100128
http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-45767920100128

China cracks down on text messaging in Xinjiang
Authorities in China's troubled north-western region of Xinjiang have punished residents for spreading rumours and "splittist" content via text messages, within days of turning services back on, according to local media.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jan/29/xinjiang-china

Google Seeks Change in China Censorship
Google Inc. Chief Executive Eric Schmidt Friday defended his company's recent decision to stop obeying government censorship rules on its Chinese search site.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575033100778834196.html

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
UN calls for global cyber treaty [AAP]
The world needs a treaty to prevent cyber attacks becoming an all-out war, the head of the main UN communications and technology agency has warned.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/UN-calls-for-global-cyber-treaty/0,130061744,339300673,00.htm

Apple iPad a threat to publishers: Bob Carr
Former NSW premier Bob Carr says the arrival of digital book reading devices such as Apple's iPad make it imperative for the Federal Government to lift bans on book sellers from buying cheap stock overseas.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-ipad-a-threat-to-publishers-bob-carr-20100129-n2zj.html
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/apple-ipad-a-threat-to-publishers-bob-carr-20100129-n2zj.html

YouTube, EU e-commerce rules under threat
The European Commission is concerned about a draft Italian law requiring video-sharing platforms such as YouTube to check that user-generated content is lawful before it is posted. Many fear that the move - a clear breach of the E-Commerce Directive - could set a dangerous precedent for other EU countries to follow.
http://euractiv.com/en/infosociety/youtube-eu-commerce-rules-threat/article-189261

New EU Telecoms Regulator gets to work [news release]
Today marks the start of a new era for telecoms in the EU. The telecoms regulators of the 27 EU countries will meet for the first time in Brussels as members of the new Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC).
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/62

European Commission takes action against France over 'telecoms tax' [news release]
The Commission today opened an infringement procedure against France relating to the 'telecoms tax' on telecommunications operators. To offset the ending of advertising on public TV channels, France has introduced a specific tax on the turnover of telecommunications operators in connection with their licence to provide telecoms services (including Internet and mobile phone services). However, the Commission takes the view that in reality this tax constitutes an administrative charge that is incompatible with European law.
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/10/67

*********************************
MISCELLANEOUS
*********************************
Microsoft sees 60% jump in profit, boosted by Windows 7
Microsoft has reported a 60% jump in profit, thanks largely to "exceptional demand" for Windows 7.

Microsoft rises on record sales of Windows 7
Microsoft reported record sales of its new Windows 7 operating system, which helped the company post a 60 per cent increase in quarterly profit.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/technology/article7007328.ece

au: IIA board nominees announced
The Internet Industry Association (IIA) has announced the nominees for election to the 2010 board, which will be revealed next month at its gala dinner.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/334441/iia_board_nominees_announced/

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
**********************
Bill to split Telstra delayed by the Senate again
Legislation designed to cleave Telstra in two has been pushed off this week's timetable of Senate debates, despite assurances from Communications Minister Stephen Conroy.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/bill-to-split-telstra-delayed-by-the-senate-again/story-e6frg8zx-1225825242498

Google YouTube on TelstraClear: is this still affecting you?
I have been using TelstraClear cable modem services for many years, in its many different "brands" - Chello, Saturn, TelstraClear - and really enjoy having a plan that provides me with consistently good speeds and reliability (but don't try calling their customer services line).
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm/7070

A phlegmatic Spanish guest at Telecom Italia?s table
Ever since Telef?nica bought a large stake in Telecom Italia three years ago, there has been speculation that the Spanish company would launch a takeover bid for the Italian telecoms incumbent. So far it has only been a lot of noise, especially in Italy, with little or no evidence of the Spanish making a big move.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/418a0f4e-0c62-11df-a941-00144feabdc0.html

EU Sues France Over Punitive Telecoms Tax [Dow Jones]
The European Commission Thursday said it was suing the French government over the "telecoms tax" levied on telecommunications operators.
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201001280708dowjonesdjonline000394&title=eu-sues-france-over-punitive-telecoms-tax

'WiMAX 2' coming in 2011?
It's been just over a year since WiMAX made its big debut in the United States and we're already looking at a sequel.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/012810-wimax-2.html

(c) David Goldstein 2010

 ---------

David Goldstein

email: goldstein_david&#167;yahoo.com.au
web:   http://davidgoldstein.tel/
http://goldsteinreport.com/

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery

Yahoo!7: Catch-up on your favourite Channel 7 TV shows easily, legally, and for free at PLUS7. www.tv.yahoo.com.au/plus7