[DNS] and the rest of the news...

From: David Goldstein <david§goldsteinreport.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 17:02:15 +1000
For those who trawl down through the domain name news, here is the news that appears below it, and that I forgot to include!

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
European research behind the Future Internet [news release]
In the context of this week's "Future Internet week" event in Budapest, the European Commission is currently reviewing the progress of some 140 "Future Internet" research projects which it supports. The Internet connects over 1.5 billion people today and billions of objects are expected to get connected tomorrow.
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/11/309

Global broadband prices halved over last two years
The average global price for high-speed internet connections is less than half what it was just two years ago, according to the International Telecommunications Union.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/global-broadband-prices-halved-over-last-two-years-10022481/

ICT services getting more affordable worldwide [news release]
Consumers and businesses globally are paying on average 18% less for entry-level information and communication technology (ICT) services than they were two years ago ? and more than 50% less for high-speed Internet connections, according to new figures released today by ITU.
http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2011/15.aspx

Bing Director Stefan Weitz: 'Traditional Search Is Failing'
Most people think about search as a simple series of actions: type in a phrase, cross your fingers it brings up what you need, and then click around a page of blue links till you get what you were looking for.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/18/stefan-weitz-bing_n_863039.html

Many Formats, One Price: More Publications Begin Bundling Their Digital, Print and Mobile Subscriptions
Magazine and newspaper publishers are reorienting themselves around a business model that has taken hold in other media: the bundle.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703421204576325600834789440.html

China's 477 mln netizens boost need for healthy Internet culture
The number of Internet users in China reached 477 million at the end of March and websites registered with the proper authorities climbed to 3.82 million, a senior telecommunication official said Monday.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sci/2011-05/16/c_13877302.htm

China's Web population a figure hard to pin down [IDG]
Depending on how you count, China can have as many as 450 million Web users, or just 300 million.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386806/china_web_population_figure_hard_pin_down/
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/051711-chinas-web-population-a-figure.html
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228025/.html

China's online population rises to 477mn [AFP]
The number of Internet users in China, already the world's largest online market, hit 477 million at the end of March, a senior government official was quoted by state media as saying Monday.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/chinas-online-population-rises-to-477mn-20110516-1eq20.html
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-technology/chinas-online-population-rises-to-477mn-20110516-1eq20.html

Netflix biggest driver of U.S. Internet traffic, puts spotlight on broadband pricing
Netflix streaming videos drove nearly 30 percent of all North American broadband Internet traffic during peak hours, with consumers continuing their voracious appetite for real-time entertainment on the Web, according to broadband analytics company Sandvine.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/netflix-biggest-driver-of-us-internet-traffic-puts-spotlight-on-broadband-pricing/2011/05/16/AFg3yg5G_blog.html

Netflix Now Biggest Source Of Internet Traffic In North America
Netflix is now the biggest source of Internet traffic in North America, accounting for nearly 30 percent of all broadband traffic during peak hours, according to a new report from Sandvine, an analytics company.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/biggest-source-of-us-inte_n_863474.html

Bing Taps Facebook Data for Fight With Google
Microsoft is hoping that its alliance with Facebook will get more people to choose Bing over Google.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/bing-taps-facebook-data-for-fight-with-google/

Bing Now Helps You Make Decisions With Your Facebook Friends [news release]
Decisions just got easier with the addition of new social features to Bing, the decision engine from Microsoft Corp. By bringing together the power of search and Facebook, people can now receive personalized search results based on the opinions of their friends simply by signing in to Facebook. New features, available today, make it easy to see what people?s Facebook friends like across the Web, incorporate the collective IQ of the Web into their decision-making and conduct conversational searches.
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2011/may11/05-16bingfriendspr.mspx

nz: Online 'planking' craze warning after death
New Zealanders are being warned that the internet craze of "planking" could lead to injury or worse, following the death of an Australian man. ... NetSafe New Zealand's executive director, Martin Cocker, said it was only a matter of time before planking became as popular in New Zealand as it was in Australia.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10726080
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/connect/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501833&objectid=10726080

**********************
SOCIAL NETWORKING
**********************
Backing Up Your Facebook Content
As more and more of us put more of our online lives onto Facebook, the world?s biggest social network is moving from a convenient accessory to a necessary utility. People I communicate with for work have begun using Facebook rather than e-mail for important conversations.
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/backing-up-your-facebook-content/

au: Facebook trade in female images
Images of scantily clad women are being widely circulated without their knowledge through a private "men's only" Facebook group, reigniting the debate for stricter privacy laws for social media in Australia.
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-trade-in-female-images-20110517-1erfu.html
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-trade-in-female-images-20110517-1erfu.html

Not our fault: AFL players on sexist web group
Three North Melbourne footballers have been caught up in the controversy over a men-only Facebook group that posts revealing photographs of young women without their consent.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/not-our-fault-afl-players-on-sexist-web-group-20110518-1et6s.html

Facebook pulls Brocial Network
Facebook managers have banned a controversial group that circulated images of scantily clad women without their consent.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-pulls-brocial-network-20110519-1eu9s.html
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-pulls-brocial-network-20110519-1eu9s.html

au: Teen faces jail over Facebook webcam porn
A 16-year-old Perth boy who encouraged girls to perform sex acts on a webcam then posted them on Facebook did not know it was illegal, his lawyer says.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10726180

**********************
NEW TECHNOLOGIES
**********************
Intel predicts PC's reinvention
Intel is predicting a reinvention over the next two years of the consumer PC ? a core market for the world?s biggest chipmaker ? as it battles competition from smartphones and tablets.
http://blogs.ft.com/fttechhub/2011/05/intel-predicts-pcs-reinvention/

PC Makers Are Seeing a Slowdown
The world?s two largest personal computer makers, Hewlett-Packard and Dell, said Tuesday that a slowdown in sales to consumers in the first months of the year damped overall revenues.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/technology/18compute.html

CHILD PROTECTION, FILTERING & CONTENT REGULATION
uk: Sexual grooming of children far worse than thought, says minister
The sexual grooming of children in the UK is a much bigger problem than has previously been recognised, the government has said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/may/17/children-human-trafficking

uk: Child protection to be part of new crime agency [news release]
Child protection will be further strengthened when the Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre (CEOP) becomes part of the new National Crime Agency.
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/news/child-proctection-nca

au: Program to protect against cyberbullying
AUSTRALIAN school teachers will have access to a new cybersafety training program, helping them to protect students from cyberbullying, sexting and grooming by internet predators.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/program-to-protect-against-cyberbullying-20110516-1eq07.html
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/technology/technology-news/program-to-protect-against-cyberbullying-20110516-1eq07.html

Pornland: How porn has hijacked our sexuality
Pornography is a profitable and powerful industry. And one that has been transformed by the internet, downloads and digital images. Gail Dines has researched the industry for two decades, and she's written a powerful argument about its impact on our sexuality and culture. She's in Australia for the Sydney Writer's festival and said most people over 35 have no idea how violent pornography has become in the last ten years.
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/breakfast/stories/2011/3220866.htm

us: Rockefeller Questions Firms On Kid Privacy
Senate Commerce Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., will press Google and Apple executives Thursday about whether applications available on their mobile phones might violate a children's online privacy law.
http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2011/05/rockefeller-questions-firms-on.php

us: Ron Paul's 15 Most Extreme Positions
Could Rep. Ron Paul of Texas ever be a true contender for the White House? ... Yet despite Paul's growing cult following, many of his views are just a tad extreme for voters from either major party. To name just a few of these politically dicey positions, President Ron Paul would like to... 4. Protect Sexual Predators' Privacy: Voted against requiring operators of wi-fi networks who discover the transmission of child porn and other forms online sex predation to report it to the government.
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/05/extreme-ron-paul-president-2012

How the hardcore porn industry is ruining young men's lives by Gail Dines
A few years ago at the Adult Entertainment Expo in Las Vegas, the biggest porn convention in the United States, Abbywinters.com, an Australian porn company, had one of the largest booths. It bills itself as offering "real, passionate, unscripted" sexual activity by "happy, healthy, regular girls in their normal environments". The company markets its female masturbation and girl/girl videos as featuring women with "no make-up, no fake boobs, no airbrushing".
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/how-the-hardcore-porn-industry-is-ruining-young-mens-lives-20110517-1erac.html

**********************
ONLINE TV & MUSIC
**********************
au: Filmmakers bet on BitTorrent for a hit
An Australian film that is challenging conventions on how to fund and distribute movies could be seen by tens of millions of people under a bold internet deal.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/filmmakers-bet-on-bittorrent-for-a-hit-20110517-1eqdb.html
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/filmmakers-bet-on-bittorrent-for-a-hit-20110517-1eqdb.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5018884/Filmmakers-bet-on-BitTorrent-for-a-hit

French three strikes activity suspended after alleged data leak, say reports
A French Government agency is not acting on new information gathered about potential piracy on the internet because the company that provides it with the information may not have secured the data it records, according to reports.
http://out-law.com/page-11935

Net pirate monitoring firm hacked
A firm employed by the French government to track down net pirates has been hacked. Trident Media Guard is believed to have exposed a range of data, including advice on how to avoid detection.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13422508

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
Android handsets 'leak' personal data
More than 99% of Android phones are potentially leaking data that, if stolen, could be used to get the information they store online.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13422308

Report: Android phones vulnerable to snooping attack
Most of the Android smartphones on the market are susceptible to an attack in which someone could access calendar and contact data over an unencrypted Wi-Fi network, a team of German researchers said in a new report.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20063646-245.html
http://www.zdnetasia.com/report-android-phones-vulnerable-to-snooping-attack-62300374.htm
http://www.zdnet.com.au/android-phones-vulnerable-to-snooping-339315240.htm

Android ClientLogin Security Flaw Puts 99% Of Users At Risk, Say Researchers
A huge percentage of Android users may be vulnerable to password theft because of a security flaw affecting several commonly used apps, according to researchers at the University of Ulm in Germany.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/android-clientlogin-security-flaw_n_863064.html

FCC, FTC to hold mobile location privacy forum
Government inquiries into what companies are doing with location information from mobile devices enter yet another round next month.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20063755-248.html

U.S. Agencies Plan a Public Forum on Location Services
Location-based services, the mobile-phone applications that make use of a person?s geographic location, are attracting growing attention in Washington following reports that phone and software companies might have been sharing location information with third parties.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/u-s-agencies-plan-a-public-forum-on-location-services/

Senate slates second round with Apple, Google over mobile privacy
Congress on Thursday will again grill executives from Apple and Google over mobile privacy concerns.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216791/Senate_slates_second_round_with_Apple_Google_over_mobile_privacy

Location Data Is Personal and Private Confirms EU Watchdog [IDG]
The European Union data protection watchdog says that geo-location constitutes private data.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228034/.html

eu: Phone users' location should be protected data, say watchdogs
Data identifying mobile phone users' locations should count as personal data and receive a high level of protection, the EU's data protection watchdogs will tell the European Commission, according to a newspaper report.
http://out-law.com/page-11924

More app developers sued over patent claims
Another patent-owning company has targeted app developers on both Apple and Android platforms, intensifying concerns among developers that smartphones are the new hunting ground for so-called "patent trolls".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/may/18/app-developers-sued-over-patent-claims

With smartphone dating apps, it's all about location
Forget online dating services and their scientific personality tests. This is courtship in the smartphone era, driven mainly by photos and proximity.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dating-apps-20110518,0,4459792.story

**********************
SPAM
**********************
Facebook, spammers are in 'arms race'
Within days of Facebook rolling out new security features designed to block spam, several new social-engineering attacks were spreading that somehow managed to get by the company's antispam defenses.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20063434-245.html

**********************
DIGITAL DIVIDE
**********************
Ban underlines the role of information technologies in accelerating development [news release]
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today underlined the role of ICTs in accelerating socio-economic development, highlighting their potential to enable the delivery of basic social services to even the remotest areas of the world.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=38392

UN chief highlights benefits of information technologies for rural people [news release]
>From connecting village schools to the Internet to using telemedicine in remote health clinics to providing accurate weather information to farmers, information and communication technology can bring enormous benefits to the lives of rural people worldwide, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.
http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=38408

**************************
ONLINE CRIME, SECURITY & LEGAL
**************************
uk: 'Threat to GCHQ spying' from broadband networks
Technology meant to spread broadband access is likely to endanger British lives and national security, according to a document that emerged from GCHQ, the signals intelligence agency.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8516912/Threat-to-GCHQ-spying-from-broadband-networks.html

Not All Nations A Slam Dunk For U.S. Global Internet Cybersecurity Policy
The U.S. and China were able to find common ground on antispam efforts, but don't expect them to do the same when it comes to the complex cat-and-mouse game that is cyberespionage. And that's just one of the challenges the White House faces in implementing its new global cybersecurity policy, which calls for international cooperation among nations in defining the norms of online behavior and consistently enforcing unlawful activities.
http://www.darkreading.com/advanced-threats/167901091/security/news/229502485/not-all-nations-a-slam-dunk-for-u-s-global-internet-cybersecurity-policy.html

Report: Windows 7 almost five times more secure than XP
Windows 7 is four to five times less vulnerable to malware infections than is Windows XP.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-20063220-83.html

Microsoft: One in 14 downloads is malicious [IDG]
The next time a website says to download new software to view a movie or fix a problem, think twice. There's a pretty good chance that the program is malicious.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216806/Microsoft_One_in_14_downloads_is_malicious

Cybercriminals Target Online Banking Culture In Latin America
Latin America is no longer just a victim of cybercrime -- it's becoming a haven for cybercrime operations and the creation of malware.
http://www.darkreading.com/security/vulnerabilities/229500807/cybercriminals-target-online-banking-culture-in-latin-america.html

AusCERT 2011: Eugene Kaspersky calls for Internet Interpol - Online ID needed to verifiy people, says Kaspersky founder
With cybercrime now the second largest criminal activity in the world, measures such as the creation of an 'Internet Interpol' and better cooperation between international law enforcement agencies are needed if criminals are to be curtailed in the future, Kaspersky Labs founder and security expert, Eugene Kaspersky, has argued.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386790/auscert_2011_eugene_kaspersky_calls_internet_interpol_/

AusCERT 2011: Police lack tools to combat cybercrime
Police officers are behind the eight ball when it comes to dealing with cybercrime, a Queensland Police Service officer has said.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386769/auscert_2011_police_lack_tools_combat_cybercrime/

AusCERT 2011: Mobile banking malware on the rise
Chief technology officer of Trusteer, Amit Klein, has spoken about the trends of mobile malware, citing mobile banking as the next big threat to the industry.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386757/auscert_2011_mobile_banking_malware_rise/

Bank theft goes truly mobile
Getting malware onto smartphones has until now involved a PC somewhere along the way, but that's about to change. Next-generation mobile malware is only months away, which will attack the device directly, leading to developments such as mobile botnets, according to Amil Klein, chief technology officer at Trusteer.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/bank-theft-goes-truly-mobile-339315186.htm

Facebook 'break-ins': police say receiving photos like taking stolen TVs
Receiving a photograph obtained from a Facebook account without the user's permission is the same as receiving a stolen TV, Queensland Police have said after the arrest of a Fairfax journalist.
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-breakins-police-say-receiving-photos-like-taking-stolen-tvs-20110518-1esad.html
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/facebook-breakins-police-say-receiving-photos-like-taking-stolen-tvs-20110518-1esad.html

au: Police confirm Fairfax journalist's arrest
Police have confirmed they arrested a journalist and seized his computer on Queensland's Gold Coast yesterday, after he published a story about a Facebook security flaw.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/18/3220071.htm

au: SMH journo detention is a first
Legal experts have described as "unprecedented" the detention of a Sydney Morning Herald journalist by Queensland police for publishing a story on an alleged Facebook security breach.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/police-facebook-action-a-first/story-fn59niix-1226058526956

au: Journo's cyber crime arrest 'defies explanation'
A senior lecturer in internet law says the arrest of an Australian Fairfax journalist over his receipt of an unauthorised Facebook photo "defies sensible explanation" and the entire matter exposes serious failings in Australian cyber crime laws.
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/cyber-law-risks-making-the-ordinary-criminal-expert-20110518-1esm7.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5020740/Journos-cyber-crime-arrest-defies-explanation
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/cyber-law-risks-making-the-ordinary-criminal-expert-20110518-1esm7.html

Grubb's story: privacy, news and the strong arm of the law
We've all seen it happen on TV a zillion times. But when a police officer recited to me those well-rehearsed words ? 'you have the right to remain silent ? ' ? I felt sick in the stomach.
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/grubbs-story-privacy-news-and-the-strong-arm-of-the-law-20110518-1esn9.html
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/grubbs-story-privacy-news-and-the-strong-arm-of-the-law-20110518-1esn9.html

au: Cybercrime embarassing for victims: O'Connor [AAP]
The internet has opened up a lot of doors for criminals but the victims of cybercrime often feel too embarrassed to come forward, federal Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor says.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/387106/cybercrime_embarassing_victims_o_connor/1111

au: Theft in the internet age: losing your identity is no joke
Bennett Arron and his heavily pregnant wife were on the brink of buying their first house when his bank sent a letter demanding he settle his outstanding bills. The trouble was, they weren't his bills - they'd been run up over 18 months by someone pretending to be him. And so began his rapid descent into a financial hell he'd never even dreamt of.
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/security/theft-in-the-internet-age-losing-your-identity-is-no-joke-20110517-1erey.html

nz: Basic rules to prevent PC disaster
Half of New Zealand's computer users believe they have adequate internet security but are putting their data at risk every day, writes Technology Editor Chris Gardner.
http://satellite.tmcnet.com/news/2011/05/16/5513925.htm

Apple studies patent infringement claims by Lodsys
Patent holding firm Lodsys claims revenue from iPhone app developers, but critics say it is abusing the patent system
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/may/16/patent-company-lodsys-sues-apple-app-developers

**************************
PRIVACY
**************************
Google chairman Schmidt promises privacy controls
Google chairman Eric Schmidt has promised that the firm will simplify the process by which Android phone users agree to share their data.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13439963

Facebook vs Google: The Pot Calling the Kettle Black by Terry Zink
In case you missed it a few days, a story broke that said that Facebook was caught hiring a PR firm to spread stories about Google about how they invade people's privacy... Even though I work for Microsoft and therefore can hardly be considered unbiased, I think Microsoft would be in a position to call out others for lack of privacy protection. I say this based on the fact that in my division, every new feature that we implement has to go through Privacy reviews.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/facebook_vs_google_the_pot_calling_the_kettle_black/

UK businesses warned to comply with EU cookie law [IDG]
The U.K.?s Information Commissioner has told IT businesses to stop complaining and get on with allowing Internet users to opt out of receiving cookies from corporate websites warning that they cannot rely on browser settings to do the job for them.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386832/uk_businesses_warned_comply_eu_cookie_law/
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228041/.html

Californian Law To Make Social Networks Private By Default Worries Facebook
A landmark law proposed in California would upend social networking sites' privacy policies by instituting new restrictions on what user information is shared and requiring sites to institute more stringent privacy settings.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/16/sb242-privacy-law-california_n_862381.html

California Internet Privacy Bill: Facebook, Google Explain 'Strong' Opposition
A coalition of web giants including Facebook, Google, Twitter and Skype announced they oppose a landmark California bill seeking to drastically revamp social networking sites' privacy protections, arguing in a letter that the proposed legislation is unconstitutional, a threat to businesses and would actually decrease users' privacy.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/17/california-internet-privacy-bill-facebook-google-opposition_n_862942.html

Web giants fight California privacy bill
Web giants Facebook, Google, Twitter and Skype have banded together to oppose an online social networking privacy bill in California that would require users? permission to display personal information such as home addresses and phone numbers.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/web-giants-fight-california-privacy-bill/2011/05/17/AFxdCR6G_blog.html

California's Proposed Online Privacy Act Faces Stiff Opposition
Facebook, Twitter, Google and others are worried about a proposed California law that would impose new privacy regulations on social networks, stop personal data from being displayed without your consent, and give new powers to parents over their kids' profiles. If social networks failed to live up to any of the bill's requirements, the companies would face a fine of up to $10,000 for each violation.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/228038/.html

Privacy crime: make data breach notifications mandatory by InternetNZ chief executive Vikram Kumar.
The Law Commission is expected to deliver the final report on its review of the Privacy Act next month. I hope it includes a recommendation that it is compulsory for people to be informed when their personal information is lost, stolen or inappropriately accessed.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/privacy-crime-make-data-breach-notifications-mandatory-ck-93209

US Congress Asks Sony to Address Unanswered Questions
A House subcommittee sent a followup letter to Sony on Tuesday after the company failed to answer a number of questions regarding an attack on its PlayStation Network last month.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/congress-asks-sony-to-address-unanswered-questions/

**********************
CENSORSHIP
**********************
Internet Filters Set Off Protests Around Turkey
Thousands of people in more than 30 cities around Turkey took to the streets on Sunday to protest a new system of filtering the Internet that opponents consider censorship.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/world/europe/16turkey.html

?Yes We Ban!? ? Turks Protest Internet Censorship
Thousands of Turks gathered in some 40 cities and towns around the country on Sunday, to join marches organized on Facebook against state Internet censorship.
http://blogs.wsj.com/emergingeurope/2011/05/15/yes-we-ban-turks-protest-internet-censorship/

Baidu, China sued in U.S. for Internet censorship
Eight New York residents sued Baidu Inc and the People's Republic of China on Wednesday, accusing China's biggest search engine of conspiring with the country's government to censor pro-democracy speech.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/19/oukin-uk-baidu-censorship-lawsuit-idUKTRE74I0QD20110519
http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/19/idINIndia-57116620110519

au: US censorship plans at odds with Australia
Australia's efforts to introduce mandatory internet filtering stand in stark contrast to a new set of cyber policies published by the country's largest ally, the United States.
http://www.crn.com.au/News/257689,us-censorship-plans-at-odds-with-australia.aspx

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
Council of Europe hoping to maintain net neutrality
Internet service providers (ISPs) should not alter online traffic to serve faster access to content produced by companies that have helped to pay for better connectivity, draft principles into the governance of internet freedoms say.
http://out-law.com/page-11925
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/17/council_of_europe_hoping_to_maintain_net_neutrality/

us: Internet trade group wants changes in copyright bill [IDG]
New U.S. legislation intended to shut down foreign websites that infringe copyrights would cause major headaches because it would allow copyright holders to target legitimate Web services with "thousands" of court orders, an e-commerce trade group said.
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/387041/internet_trade_group_wants_changes_copyright_bill/

Austria to set up police team to combat cyber crimes
The Austrian government will set up a formal police team to combat increasing cyber crimes, Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner said on Tuesday.
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-05/18/c_13879660.htm

Google Turns On Charm to Win Over Europeans
Chiseled into the stone facade of the vacant Second Empire building at 8, rue de Londres here is the name of the French national railroad, a former occupant. Most recently, the site housed another conservative pillar of the French corporate establishment, the insurer AXA. The proud new owner is a company with a very different image in France, more bomb-thrower than bourgeois: Google.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/technology/16iht-google16.html

U.S. Calls for Global Cybersecurity Strategy
The Obama administration on Monday proposed creating international computer security standards with penalties for countries and organizations that fell short.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/us/politics/17cyber.html

U.S. lays out priorities for future of cyberspace [Reuters]
The United States launched a new initiative Monday designed to stamp the Internet with U.S. values such as freedom of expression, saying cyberspace must remain open, secure and reliable.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-rt-tech-us-security-ustre74f7x8-20110517,0,7614400.story

Administration unveils cybersecurity foreign policy
Cabinet officials on Monday introduced a plan to incorporate network security into future foreign policy actions. The announcement of an international strategy for cyberspace comes one week after the White House sent Congress a legislative proposal for a sweeping overhaul of U.S. network security.
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20110516_6382.php

White House releases new cyberspace strategy [IDG]
The U.S. government will push for the protection of privacy and other fundamental freedoms in cyberspace and for other nations to support the free flow of information across the Internet, according to the nation's first comprehensive cyberspace strategy, released Monday.
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/051611-white-house-releases-new-cyberspace.html
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/227986/.html
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/386733/white_house_releases_new_cyberspace_strategy/
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216773/White_House_releases_new_cyberspace_strategy

us: Senator introduces electronic surveillance reform bill [IDG]
A new bill introduced in the U.S. Senate would update a 25-year-old law that sets the rules for law enforcement surveillance of e-mail and other electronic communications, with more legal protections for the privacy of data stored in the cloud.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216796/Senator_introduces_electronic_surveillance_reform_bill

us: Leahy Proposes Changes To Electronic Privacy Law
After nearly two years of discussion on the issue, Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., has finally introduced legislation that would update the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2011/05/leahy-proposes-changes-to-elec.php
http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20110517_2826.php

Report calls for overhaul of UK copyright law
The Hargreaves report on intellectual property is to recommend setting up a 'digital exchange' for the clearance of copyright, as well as legalising the 'ripping' of CDs to digital devices
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/may/17/copyright-law-overhaul-for-uk

Google boss: anti-piracy laws would be disaster for free speech
Google's executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, warned on Wednesday that government plans to block access to illicit filesharing websites could set a "disastrous precedent" for freedom of speech.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/may/18/google-eric-schmidt-piracy

uk: Vince Cable to back copyright law reform
Vince Cable, the business secretary, will on Wednesday give cabinet-level support to a report calling for a wide-ranging overhaul of the UK's intellectual property and copyright laws.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/may/17/vince-cable-to-back-copyright-law-reform

Hargreaves review gives copyright law digital makeover
A review of the UK's copyright laws offers reforms but not the radical overhaul demanded by some. The Hargreaves Report was requested by David Cameron amid concerns that current legislation was outdated in the internet age.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13429217

uk: Hargreaves Report will call for an online copyright exchange system, say reports
People and companies will be able to exchange the rights for using copyright material online if new changes to UK copyright law are implemented, according to a newspaper report.
http://out-law.com/page-11922

uk: Government kicks off fresh debate on comms law
The government has asked for feedback on ideas for new laws to govern the telecommunications, online-media and digital-content industries, as a prelude to introducing a new Communications Act in 2015.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/regulation/2011/05/16/government-kicks-off-fresh-debate-on-comms-law-40092783/

uk: Government launches review to help establish new communications laws
The Government has asked for industry's input on new communication laws that could come into effect as early as 2015. It has opened a review into the regulation of the communications industry in the UK.
http://out-law.com/page-11928

*********************************
MISCELLANEOUS
*********************************
Microsoft's Bill Gates says he advocated Skype takeover
Microsoft's founder, Bill Gates, has said he advocated the company's takeover of Skype, and urged other board members to support the move.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13434352

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
**********************
Talk is cheaper: The cost of telecommunications has fallen worldwide
Developing countries still pay far more for communications than developed countries as a proportion of overall income.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/05/telecommunications

Vodafone profits slump ?5.6bn amid European austerity cuts
Vodafone has been hit by the economic slump gripping southern Europe and Ireland, with the company taking a ?6bn impairment charge due to difficult trading.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/may/17/vodafone-profits-slump-40pc

O2 network damaged by thieves
Millions of O2 customers across a swathe of the South East were cut off for almost 18 hours on Tuesday after thieves raided a network building in East London.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8519399/O2-network-damaged-by-thieves.html

Three billionaires battle for a bigger slice of Mexico's telecom market
Disputes playing out in courts, the marketplace and the media involving the world's richest man and two TV barons are reminding Mexicans how much their economy is dominated by monopolies and oligopolies.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-mexico-billionaire-battle-20110517,0,7613785.story

nz: Bad news? What bad news? Telecom shares shoot up
On the face of it, this morning's surprise announcement that the Commerce Commission will now be able to regulate Crown fibre companies is a negative for Telecom - which is in the running for 25 Crown fibre regions, including all the major cities. ... News of the removal of the Telecomunications Amendment Bill's 10-year "regulatory holiday" clause drew praise from Tuanz, InternetNZ, TelstraClear, the Greens and others this morning - all of whom had worried it handed competitive advantage to likely Crown fibre winner Telecom.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/bad-news-what-bad-news-telecom-shares-shoot-ck-93423

nz: Joyce pulls 10-year 'regulatory holiday' from Crown fibre bill
In a surprise move - seemingly instigated by the Maori Party - Communications Minister Steven Joyce has caved to critics, and pulled the 10-year "regulatory forbearance period" from the Telecommunications Amendment Bill. ... InternetNZ also welcomed the new provision. Chief executive Vikram Kumar wanted more detail, but from what he had seen so far, the InternetNZ boss said the substitute mechanism looked like "a win all round".
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/joyce-pulls-10-year-regulatory-holiday-crown-fibre-bill-ck-93371

nz: Joyce scraps regulatory holiday from broadband bill
Communications Minister Steven Joyce has scrapped the regulatory holiday companies who won contracts for the Government's Ultra Fast Broadband plan were to enjoy, just days after the policy was endorsed by select committee.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10726351

nz: Joyce backs down - the regulatory holiday is gone
The regulatory forbearance period that would have prevented Commerce Commission oversight into wholesale pricing on the Ultra Fast Broadband network until 2020 has been removed.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/joyce-backs-down-the-regulatory-holiday-is-gone

nz: Labour slams changes to Telco Amendment Bill
Labour has hit out at the changes to the Telecommunication Amendment Bill that will see the regulatory forbearance period dumped in favour of ?contractual mechanisms?.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/labour-slams-changes-to-telco-bill

nz: Maori Party flexes muscle to get regulatory holiday biffed
The government back down over the regulatory forbearance period for the Ultra Fast Broadband was a result of hard negotiation by the Maori Party.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/maori-party-flexes-muscle-to-get-regulatory-holiday-biffed

nz: Joyce says the Maori Party didn?t force telco bill change
ICT Minister Steven Joyce says the Maori Party would have voted for the Telecommunications Amendment Bill if the regulatory forbearance period had remained.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/joyce-says-the-maori-party-didnt-force-telco-bill-change

nz: Maori Party key to broadband plan
The National Party will rely on the support of the Maori Party for its ultrafast broadband network after Act joined Labour and the Greens in saying it would vote against a bill that will pave the way for the network.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/politics/5012269/Maori-Party-key-to-broadband-plan

nz: National needs Maori Party for UFB network
The National Party will rely on the support of the Maori Party for its ultrafast broadband network after the ACT party joined Labour and the Greens in saying it would vote against a bill that will pave the way for the network.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/5015169/National-needs-Maori-Party-for-UFB-network

nz: As Act peels away, Crown fibre bill hinges on Maori Party support
The controversial Telecommunications Amendment Bill is back in parliament for its final lap, setting the scene for a Telecom split and the final stages of Crown fibre contract negotiations.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/crown-fibre-bill-reported-back-parliament-without-hoped-changes-ck-93259
http://www.nbr.co.nz/node/93285

nz: Govt broadband move embarrassing backdown: Labour [NZPA]
The Government has been accused of an "embarrassing back-down" after ditching a controversial regulatory holiday for ultra-fast broadband (UFB) providers.
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/politics/161017/govt-broadband-move-embarrassing-backdown-labour
http://www.hawkesbaytoday.co.nz/business/news/govt-broadband-move-embarrassing-back-down-labour/3952416/

Internet NZ welcomes back track
Internet New Zealand has welcomed the Government's back track on regulation for ultra fast broadband.
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1.asp?storyID=196934

nz: Govt back-down on UFB holiday
The Maori Party has forced Communications and Information Technology Minister Steven Joyce to back down on a proposed regulatory holiday for ultra-fast broadband (UFB) prices, Labour claims.
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/business/161031/govt-back-down-ufb-holiday

nz: Govt broadband move an 'embarassing backdown'
The Government is being accused of an "embarrassing back-down" after ditching a controversial holiday from price regulation for ultra-fast broadband (UFB) providers.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Govt-broadband-move-an-embarassing-backdown/tabid/419/articleID/211771/Default.aspx

nz: Govt dumps UFB regulatory holiday [AAP/NZPA]
The Government has dumped the proposed 8-1/2 year regulatory holiday for ultra-fast broadband (UFB) prices.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Govt-dumps-UFB-regulatory-holiday/tabid/412/articleID/211661/Default.aspx
http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/aap/8250585/nz-government-dumps-ufb-holiday
http://www.tradingroom.com.au/apps/view_breaking_news_article.ac?page=/data/news_research/published/2011/5/138/catf_110518_090000_3425.html
http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/b2209759/government-dumps-ufb-holiday.html

NZ govt does u-turn on telco regulation
In surprise move, the New Zealand government has dropped a controversial 10 year "regulatory holiday" for operators of the country's NZ$1.5 billion Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB) initiative.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/nz-govt-does-u-turn-on-telco-regulation-339315253.htm

nz: Demise Of Regulatory Holiday A Win All Round
InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) has welcomed this morning's announcement by the Minister of Communications and IT Steven Joyce that the proposed regulatory holiday for ultra-fast broadband will be replaced.
http://www.voxy.co.nz/politics/demise-regulatory-holiday-win-all-round/5/90218

nz: Joyce backs down from UFB regulatory holiday
In light of wide-spread criticism of the government's proposed regulatory holiday on wholesale prices under the Ultra Fast Broadband (UFB) initiative, Minister for Communications and Information Technology Steven Joyce has announced contractual mechanisms to replace the provisions.
http://www.techday.co.nz/telecommunicationsreview/news/updated-joyce-backs-down-from-ufb-regulatory/20132/6/

New Zealand govt to scrap regulatory holiday for UFB
The New Zealand government will replace regulatory forbearance on wholesale prices for the Ultra-Fast Broadband network with contractual mechanisms that would apply if the Commerce Commission regulates prices lower than those contracted.
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/new-zealand-govt-to-scrap-regulatory-holiday-for-ufb

nz: Telco bill and regulatory environment for next-gen networks
IDC research director, Telecommunications, Rosalie Nelson questions whether bypassing the regulator during the building phase of the Ultra Fast Broadband network, will set the right regulatory environment for next-generation networks.
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/telco-bill-and-regulatory-environment-for-next-gen-networks

InternetNZ: Major flaws remain in Telco Bill
InternetNZ, a non-profit organisation dedicated to achieving unfettered internet access for all, released a statement yesterday welcoming "small changes" in the Telecommunications Amendment Bill, but warned major flaws remain.
http://www.techday.co.nz/telecommunicationsreview/news/internetnz-major-flaws-remain-in-telco-bill/20124/6/

NZ FTTH providers to get 10 year holiday from price regulation
The New Zealand Government is to press ahead with plans to give operators of its planned fibre to the home networks a 10 year holiday from price regulation, despite opposition from a broad swathe of the industry and from almost every other political party.
http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/47179-nz-ftth-providers-to-get-10-year-holiday-from-price-regulation

New Zealand Government to Change Fast Broadband Regulation
New Zealand is changing its approach to regulation of prices charged by its partners in a high-speed broadband project to ensure customers don?t pay too much during construction of the network.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-17/new-zealand-government-to-change-fast-broadband-regulation-1-.html

NZ government dumps UFB "holiday" [AAP]
The New Zealand Government has dumped the proposed 8 1/2 year regulatory holiday for ultra-fast broadband (UFB) prices. ... InternetNZ welcomed the dumping of the regulatory holiday.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8250584

New penalty benchmark for breach of the Commerce Act
The High Court has imposed a $12 million penalty on Telecom for a breach of the Commerce Act, which is the highest penalty ever imposed in New Zealand for a breach of the Act (Commerce Commission v Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited and Telecom New Zealand Limited (HC, Auckland, CIV-2004-404-1333, 19 April 2011, Hansen J).
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=2fe816fb-fda6-41c2-97bb-37ebcdb9d1e3

**********************************
ARRESTS/COURT CASES FOR ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION
**********************************
nz: Man charged after child porn bust
An American man living in Napier was today charged with 28 child pornography offences.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5021044/Man-charged-after-child-porn-bust

------
David Goldstein

 email: david&#167;goldsteinreport.com

 web:   http://goldsteinreport.com/
         http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9665 5773 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery