[DNS] auDA domain news - 1 July

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:46:03 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

NGPC Progress on Addressing GAC Beijing Advice on New gTLDs
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-27jun13-en.htm>

2013 RAA Approved by ICANN Board of Directors
<http://blog.icann.org/2013/06/board-approves-raa/>

ICANN approves 2013 RAA
<http://domainincite.com/13573-icann-approves-2013-raa>

Is the ICC ripping off new gTLD objectors?
<http://domainincite.com/13539-is-the-icc-ripping-off-new-gtld-objectors>

Plural gTLDs not confusing, says ICANN (and two gotchas proving it wrong)
<http://domainincite.com/13565-plural-gtlds-not-confusing-says-icann-and-two-gotchas-proving-it-wrong>

ICANN freezes ?closed generic? gTLD bids
<http://domainincite.com/13558-icann-freezes-closed-generic-gtld-bids>

ICANN offers to split the cost of GAC ?safeguards? with new gTLD registries
<http://domainincite.com/13551-icann-offers-to-split-the-cost-of-gac-safeguards-with-new-gtld-registries>

International Law Enforcement Seize 9600 Domains Related To Counterfeit Medicines
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/06/28/seize-9600-domains-counterfeit-medicines/>

**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
NGPC Progress on Addressing GAC Beijing Advice on New gTLDs
On 25 June 2013, the ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) had its sixth meeting to discuss the GAC Beijing advice on New gTLDs. The Committee adopted two resolutions concerning portions of the GAC's Safeguard Advice. It also adopted a resolution regarding the GAC's advice on singular and plural versions of the same string.
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-27jun13-en.htm>

2013 RAA Approved by ICANN Board of Directors
We are finally there. After a long and extensive period of discussions, negotiations and revisions, the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement is finally a reality. Here is a summary of the changes made since the RAA was posted for public comment on April 22.
<http://blog.icann.org/2013/06/board-approves-raa/>

Christine Willett, Vice President, gTLD Operations, ICANN, to Craig S. Schwartz
Response to CTAG Letter of June 7 Regarding Community Priority Evaluation
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/willett-to-schwartz-27jun13-en>

ICANN approves 2013 RAA
ICANN has approved a new version of its standard Registrar Accreditation Agreement, after almost two years of talks with registrars.
<http://domainincite.com/13573-icann-approves-2013-raa>

New RAA ushers in big changes (and demands) on domain name registrars
ICANN announced today that its Board of Directors has approved the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/28/2013-raa-registrars/>

New Registrar Accreditation Agreement Approved By ICANN Board Clarifying Protections For Registrants
The ICANN board of directors approved the new Registrar Accreditation Agreement, ICANN announced today (28 June). ICANN expects the new agreement to bring continued improvements to the domain name ecosystem.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=20597>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/06/28/new-raa-approved-by-icann/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/new-registrar-accreditation-agreement-approved-by-icann-board-clarifying-protections-for-registrants.html>

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
ru: The Coordination Center Council approves the CC annual report
On June 27, 2013, at the meeting of the Coordination Center Council, the Council approved the annual report and has accepted the auditing commission report regarding accounting. The annual report can be found at the Coordination Center website.
<http://cctld.ru/en/news/news_detail.php?ID=4725>

sg: Special names for a limited period! Grab it now!
>From 1 July 2013 to 31 July 2013, a selected group of Premium Domain Names (?PDNs?) will be released for application at a base price ranging from $642 to $21,400 (including GST). If the name has multiple applications, it will be allocated to the applicant with the highest bid.
<http://nic.net.sg/news/special-names-limited-period-grab-it-now-8>

uk: Nominet proposes new Registrar Agreement
Nominet, the not-for-profit organisation best known for running the .uk internet infrastructure, today launches its proposal for working with its registrar channel to raise standards of service and data quality.
<http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases/nominet-proposes-new-registrar-agreement>

uk: Nominet proposes new Registrar Agreement
We have launched a consultation on a new Registrar Agreement that will allow us to work with registrars to raise standards of service and data quality.
<http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/nominet-proposes-new-registrar-agreement>

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
Is the ICC ripping off new gTLD objectors?
New gTLD applicants have reportedly complained to ICANN about the unexpectedly high cost of dealing with objections.
<http://domainincite.com/13539-is-the-icc-ripping-off-new-gtld-objectors>

Plural gTLDs not confusing, says ICANN (and two gotchas proving it wrong)
Dozens of new gTLD applicants will be breathing a sigh of relief this morning as ICANN said it will allow single and plural versions of the same gTLD to co-exist after all.
<http://domainincite.com/13565-plural-gtlds-not-confusing-says-icann-and-two-gotchas-proving-it-wrong>

ICANN maintains line on singular/plural gTLDs, but puts closed generics on hold
ICANN?s Board New gTLD Program Committee has adopted a number of resolutions concerning portions of the GAC's Safeguard Advice for new gTLDs. While maintaining the status quo on singular and plural versions of the same string, its resolution on ?closed generic? gTLDs places such applications in a holding pattern.
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=3118b628-731d-4f31-98c3-3e0e2b22ef87>

What to Expect When You?re Expecting (new gTLDs)
Some companies sell bags, some sell guitars, some sell phones, some sell shoes, and others sell everything from antiques to zippers. Just about all companies today sell ?something? ? and themselves -- online.
<http://www.gtldstrategy.com/ongoing-strategies/what-to-expect-when-you?re-expecting-new-gtlds>

Singulars, plurals, and new TLD confusion
ICANN?s new gTLD committee has decided that it will not place singular and plural versions of new TLD strings into contention sets, shutting down what was effectively an ?appeal? by the Governmental Advisory Committee.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/28/singulars-plurals-and-new-top-level-domain-confusion/>

Case not closed on ?closed generics?, and there?s a giant loophole anyway
This week ICANN?s New gTLD Program Committee passed a resolution about so-called ?closed generic? TLD applications.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/28/closed-generic-top-level-domains/>

Rejected .gay gTLD objection ruled ?unfair?
ICANN Ombudsman Chris LaHatte today said that it was ?unfair? that a community objection filed by GOProud, a gay lobby group, was rejected by the International Chamber of Commerce.
<http://domainincite.com/13535-rejected-gay-gtld-objection-ruled-unfair>

ICANN freezes ?closed generic? gTLD bids
ICANN has temporarily banned ?closed generic? gTLDs in response to Governmental Advisory Committee demands.
<http://domainincite.com/13558-icann-freezes-closed-generic-gtld-bids>

ICANN offers to split the cost of GAC ?safeguards? with new gTLD registries
All new gTLD applicants will have to abide by stricter rules on security and Whois accuracy under government-mandated changes to their contracts approved by the ICANN board.
<http://domainincite.com/13551-icann-offers-to-split-the-cost-of-gac-safeguards-with-new-gtld-registries>

ICANN Board Responds to GAC Advice
The ICANN Board has handed down its most recent response to the advice provided by the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) on the New gTLD Program. Here's a run down of what the ICANN Board decided:
<http://www.gtldstrategy.com/marketing-strategies/icann-board-responds-to-gac-advice>

262 New gTLD objections filed
During an ICANN briefing attended by NetNames in Brussels yesterday on 25 June, Vice President for gTLD operations Christine Willett gave an update on the process designed to allow those who are unhappy with one of the 1,930 applications received by ICANN to object to it.
<http://www.netnames.com/blog/2013/06/262-new-gtld-objections-filed/>

New gTLDs will be here by fall 2013!
Speaking at a special ICANN briefing given today in Brussels, CEO Fadi Chehad? reasserted his strong commitment to a predictable and reliable launch date for new gTLDs. ?The timeline was the biggest issue for this program when I came in as ICANN CEO, a year ago,? Chehad? said during the meeting attended by NetNames. ?Applicants, registrants, businesses and the community as a whole, no-one had the slightest idea when to expect new gTLDs.?
<http://www.netnames.com/blog/2013/06/new-gtlds-will-be-here-by-fall-2013/>

Online Banking ? new gTLDs could help reduce impact of phishing attacks and lead to greater consumer trust online
When the new gTLDs roll out, banking online will take a step toward better security. Approximately 20 banks applied for their own .BRAND, including Citigroup (.CITI), Bank of America (.BOFA), HSBC (.HSBC), and The State Bank of India (.STATEBANK). Other banks, including smaller regional banks, will have the opportunity to register in the generic TLD .BANK.
<http://www.gtldstrategy.com/brand-protection-strategies/online-banking-?-new-gtlds-could-help-reduce-impact-of-phishing-attacks-and-lead-to-greater-consumer-trust-online>

90 passes and 2 failures in this week?s gTLD results
ICANN has just delivered this week?s batch of Initial Evaluation results, with 90 passes and two failures to report.
<http://domainincite.com/13575-90-passes-and-2-failures-in-this-weeks-gtld-results>

Two More gTLD Applications Are Withdrawn; .Movie By Straat & .BWAY
Two more new gTLD application were withdrawn and reflected on the ICANN site tonight. Straat which applied for 13 new gTLD?s withdrew their second application tonight this time for the new gTLD .Movie.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/28/two-more-gtld-applications-are-withdrawn-movie-by-straat-bway/>

STRAAT pulls .movie application as it partners with another company
For the second time in as many months, Nu Dot Co, LLC, a subsidiary of STRAAT Investments, has withdrawn a new TLD application and partnered up with another applicant.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/28/straat-pulls-movie-application-as-it-partners-with-another-company/>

SnapNames Partners With Japan Registry
SnapNames, a KeyDrive S.A. company and leading online marketplace for already registered, expired and deleting domain names, and Japan Registry, a GMO Internet Group company and the largest domain registrar in Japan, are pleased to jointly announce an exclusive partnership to provide Japan Registry?s non-renewed domain names on the SnapNames marketplace for purchase.
<https://www.moniker.com/domainnewsresources/news/snapnames_partners_with_japan_registry>

New gTLD Program Committee Votes Not To Change Policy on Singulars/Plurals
The ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) voted tonight to not change the policy on new gTLD applications concerning singular and plural terms.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/28/breaking-new-gtld-program-committee-votes-not-to-change-policy-on-singularsplurals/>

New gTLD Program Committee Puts Closed Generics On Hold
The ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC) has put ?Closed Generic? new gTLD applications on Hold by passing a resolution tonight.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/28/breaking-new-gtld-program-committee-puts-closed-generics-on-hold/>

Sen. Rockefeller To ICANN: Follow GAC Advice & Allow ?Limited 1st Round? Of New gTLD?s
In a bombshell letter to the CEO of ICANN sent today by Senator Jay Rockefeller, head of the Senate Commerce Committee he told telling ICANN to ?tread carefully? in opening up new gTLD?s follow GAC advice and consider a limited roll out of first round gTLD?s:
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/27/sen-rockefeller-to-icann-follow-gac-advice-allow-limited-1st-round-of-new-gtlds/>

New gTLD Registries Cannot Own Their Domains! by Dan Warner
Traditionally registries have been forbidden from owning domains other than for those ?reasonable and necessary for the management and operations of the TLD.? New applicants seem to believe that the separation between Registry ? Registrar ? Registrant doesn?t exist anymore. If those restrictions still exist a number of applicant business plans will be cut to ribbons.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/27/guest-post-by-dan-warner-new-gtld-registries-cannot-own-their-domains/>

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
It?s time to demand additional security from your domain registrar
We are constantly reminded that thieves want to hack into our domain registrar accounts and steal our domains.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/27/its-time-to-demand-additional-security-from-your-domain-registrar/>

What Smaller Institutions Can Learn from DDoS Attacks on Big Banks by Rodney Joffe
Since last fall, several waves of DDoS attacks have targeted major players in the U.S. banking industry. JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo and PNC were among the first to sustain intermittent damage. Eventually, the top 50 institutions found themselves in the crosshairs... In the months to come, security experts would praise the banks' collective response, from heightened DDoS protection to candid customer communications.. these larger institutions have learned some painful lessons that smaller firms might heed as they seek to minimize risks.
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20130627_what_smaller_institutions_can_learn_from_ddos_attacks_on_big_banks/>

Former US general James Cartwright named in Stuxnet leak inquiry
A retired US general, James Cartwright, is the target of a Justice Department investigation into the leaking of secret information about the Stuxnet virus attack on Iranian nuclear facilities in 2010, NBC News reported on Thursday, citing unidentified legal sources.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/28/general-cartwright-investigated-stuxnet-leak>

us: DHS Report: Energy Sector Now a Bigger Target for Cyber Attackers
The energy sector is reporting an enormous increase in the number of attempted cyber attacks in 2013, according to a new report from the Department of Homeland Security. Some of the new attempted attacks have included the industrial control systems of gas compression stations across the Midwest.
<http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2013/06/28/dhs-report-energy-sector-now-a-bigger-target-for-cyber-attackers/>

au: Victoria upgrading security to plug cabinet cyber leaks
The Victorian government is on a mission to plug security leaks and will upgrade ageing IT systems that pose a 'significant security threat' to cabinet documents.
<http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/victoria-upgrading-security-to-plug-cabinet-cyber-leaks-20130629-2p467.html>

**********************
 - DOMAIN DISPUTES
**********************
us: Film Academy Sues GoDaddy for Cybersquatting
Come awards season, GoDaddy probably won?t be thanking the Academy. The Hollywood Reporter reports that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which presents the annual Oscars, is suing GoDaddy, a web-hosting company and domain registrar, under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act?the first lawsuit of its kind. AMPAS alleges that GoDaddy makes money off of unauthorized trademarks from the iconic award shows.
<http://www.dailybusinessreview.com/PubArticleDBR.jsp?id=1202608742264>

Missed Opportunities
In a recent UDRP complaint, CVS Pharmacy, Inc. (CVS) was able to successfully recover the domain name cvsonlinepharmacystore.com. The complaint itself, filed with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) was rather straightforward. The Respondent did not even bother submitting a response and CVS was easily able to meet all three requirements ? the domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which it has rights, the respondent has no rights or legitimate interests in the domain name, and the domain name was registered and used in bad faith.
<http://domainnamestrategy.com/2013/06/24/missed-opportunities/>

3 Consequences of Cybersquatting
Being successful in the domaining industry requires you to take advantage of all sorts of opportunities. Whether you profit from trending news stories, or purchase a valuable domain at a low price in auction, there are plenty of chances for you to capitalize on the right opportunity when it presents itself.
<http://www.afternic.com/blog/3-consequences-of-cybersquatting/>

Two Almost Identical Domains, Two UDRP?s, Two Opposite Decisions
Two UDRP decided days apart by the Czech Arbitration Court (CAC) on two very similar domains got completely results.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/06/27/two-almost-identical-domains-two-udrps-two-opposite-decisions/>

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
Secondary market for IPv4 addresses and the lessons of spectrum policy by Brenden Kuerbis
As the IPv4 address transfer market continues to grow and the Regional Internet Registries deal with address leasing and eliminating needs assessment in the post-free pool era, we thought it would be useful to review the literature and development of another related secondary market: radio spectrum. Spectrum resources and their regulation offer numerous valuable lessons for IP address policymakers. Although radio spectrum is not perfectly analogous to IP addresses, there are enough parallels both in the nature of the resource and in policy to make the comparison useful.
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/06/24/secondary-market-for-ipv4-addresses-and-the-lessons-of-spectrum-policy/>

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
US regulator shuts down 1,677 Internet pharmacies [IDG]
More than 1,600 websites selling pharmaceutical products, including some spoofing CVS and Walgreens pharmacies, were shut down this week in a sting involving 99 countries, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Thursday.
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9240432/US_regulator_shuts_down_1_677_Internet_pharmacies>
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/062813-us-regulator-shuts-down-1677-271381.html>

FDA shuts down 1,677 online pharmacies
The prices may look tempting, but ordering from an online pharmacy is often a bad deal, according to Interpol and the U.S Food and Drug Administration, announcing a crackdown Thursday on thousands of websites.
<http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/27/health/online-pharmacies-closed/index.html>

International Law Enforcement Seize 9600 Domains Related To Counterfeit Medicines
Another arm of the US government has taken to seizing domain names for selling counterfeit goods. This time the Food and Drug Administration, in partnership with international regulatory and law enforcement agencies, took action this week against more than 9,600 websites that illegally sell potentially dangerous, unapproved prescription medicines to consumers.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=20596>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/06/28/seize-9600-domains-counterfeit-medicines/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/en/international-law-enforcement-seize-9600-domains-related-to-counterfeit-medicines.html>

FDA takes action to protect consumers from dangerous medicines sold by illegal online pharmacies - International Operation Pangea VI combats online sale and distribution of unapproved prescription medicines [news release]
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, in partnership with international regulatory and law enforcement agencies, took action this week against more than 9,600 websites that illegally sell potentially dangerous, unapproved prescription medicines to consumers. These actions include the issuance of regulatory warnings, and seizure of offending websites and $41,104,386 worth of illegal medicines worldwide.
<http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm358794.htm>

The Africa Domain Name System (DNS) Forum - Jul 12 - Jul 13, 2013 | Durban, South Africa
... The Opportunity: In this respect, the 1st DNS Forum will be held on the 12 and 13 July 2013 in Durban, South Africa. The Forum aims to establish a platform for the DNS community in Africa and to advance the domain name industry and domain name registrations overall.
<http://www.aftld.org/events/?_sfwCOM=event:show%3b233009>

RIPE NCC Launches New Initiatives at EuroDIG 2013
EuroDIG (the European Dialogue on Internet Governance) held its sixth meeting in Lisbon on 20-21 June 2013, attracting its largest ever audience of more than 600 registered attendees from government, business, civil society and the Internet technical community.
<http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/ripe-ncc-launches-new-initiatives-at-eurodig-2013>

10 More Accidentally Inappropriate Domain Names
It's that time of week again... inappropriate domain time! We dug around the Internet to bring you 10 more domain names that people didn't really think twice about when they were registering them. Without further ado, I present to you some more fantastic inappropriate domain names:
<http://www.name.com/blog/general/2013/06/10-more-accidentally-inappropriate-domain-names/>

Internet Hall of Fame Announces 2013 Inductees
The Internet Society today announced the names of the 32 individuals who have been selected for induction into the Internet Hall of Fame. Honored for their groundbreaking contributions to the global Internet, this year?s inductees comprise some of the world?s most influential engineers, activists, innovators, and entrepreneurs.
<http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-hall-fame-announces-2013-inductees>

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
New domain marketplace DNX.com formally launches
DNX.com (Domain Name Exchange) has formally launched in beta. The domain marketplace is a joint venture between Media Options and Internet Media Pty.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/06/27/new-domain-marketplace-dnx-com-formally-launches/>

Joint Venture Between InternetMedia and MediaOptions Produces a New Way to Sell Domains at DNX.com
If you've been looking for a new way to sell your domain names, the people behind DNX.com, a domain name exchange that just launched, thinks they may have just what you are looking for.
<http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2013/dailyposts/20130627.htm>

The good news: things aren't going from bad to worse as quickly as expected. The Digital News Report 2013 from the Reuters Institute shows an increasing number of readers ? including young readers ? prepared to subscribe to newspapers that have built paywalls, and 9% of Britons, 10% of Germans, 12% of Americans and 13% of the French say they've paid up for digital news within the past year.

**********************
SOCIAL MEDIA
**********************
Facebook removes ads from controversial pages to avoid boycott
Facebook has announced a major revamp of its advertising systems in an attempt to deal with concerns about offensive content.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23097411>

Facebook to Shield Ads From Offensive Content
Facebook said on Friday that it would remove ads from pages that contain controversial content, as it tries to protect advertisers from appearing next to offensive material beyond their control.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/29/business/media/facebook-to-shield-ads-from-offensive-content.html>

Facebook to stop ads running next to offensive material
Facebook is to crack down on ads running next to offensive material by launching a new system that will create a blacklist of pages and groups that contain any violent, graphic or sexual content, even if it previously passed its community standards.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/28/facebook-ads-offensive-material>

Facebook to pull ads from pages with sex, violence
Facebook Inc said it will no longer allow ads to appear on pages with sexual or violent content, as the online social network moves to appease marketers being associated with objectionable material.
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/28/uk-facebook-ads-idUKBRE95R10E20130628>
<http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/06/28/facebook-ads-violence-sex-idINDEE95R0FQ20130628>

Will Facebook's Robot Censors Know Porn When They See It?
The old trope about pornography is that you?ll know it when you see it. Facebook is betting that not only will it know it, but that the social network will be able to train its computers to do the same.
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-28/will-facebooks-robots-censors-know-porn-when-they-see-it>

Twisted data could boost bandwidth [AFP]
A new fibre optic technology could increase internet bandwidth capacity by sending data along light beams that twist like a tornado rather than move in a straight line.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/twisted-data-could-boost-bandwidth/story-e6frgakx-1226671178101>

*********************************
CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY
*********************************
Porn: do we really want internet providers to be our censors?
Dearly beloved: our subject this morning is online pornography and what to do about it. The fact that there is a good deal of erotic material on the net is beyond dispute, though the precise amount is unclear. Let us assume that X % of websites contain porn, where X is a number between 5 and 15. What does that tell us? Answer: an awful lot of people seem to be interested in pornography. If there wasn't a demand, then presumably there wouldn't be such an abundant supply.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun/30/internet-porn-panic-ethical-minefield>

Web porn: Just how much is there?
Many things in porn are exaggerated, including the statistics regularly quoted to show how much pornography is on the web.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23030090>

How Kid Apps Are Data Magnets
While 7-year-old Eros ViDemantay played with a kid's app on his father's phone, tracing an elephant, behind the scenes a startup company backed by Google Inc. was collecting information from the device?including its email address and a list of other apps installed on his phone.
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324520904578553662943430052.html>

us: Legal sex + smartphone video = child pornography - Young man with 16 year old girlfriend now sex offender for life.
Sidney Myers, a 20-year-old South Carolina man, had procured a powerful handheld device built in a foreign country, a device which allowed him both to transmit a bomb threat and to create child pornography. The device was an HTC smartphone, and his use of the phone has now branded Myers a lifelong sex offender and landed him an 18 month federal prison sentence.
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/06/legal-sex-smartphone-video-child-pornography/>

uk: Virgin Media and TalkTalk move to block child access to porn and adult content
Internet giants Virgin Media and TalkTalk have announced measures to protect children from internet pornography.
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/virgin-media-and-talktalk-move-to-block-child-access-to-porn-and-adult-content-8680262.html>

Boredom is to blame for most cyberbullying incidents, claims expert who's identified the key tactics of trolls
Boredom is behind many incidents of cyberbullying and trolling on social media sites, according to the first major study into the matter.
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2349518/Boredom-blame-cyberbullying-incidents-claims-expert-whos-identified-key-tactics-trolls.html>

**********************
MOBILE/WIRELESS
**********************
Apple Finds It Difficult to Divorce Samsung
Apple is finding that breaking up with Samsung is hard to do.
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324682204578513882349940500.html>

**********************
ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL
**********************
Cyber Criminals Continue to Use Spear-Phishing Attacks to Compromise Computer Networks
The FBI has seen an increase in criminals who use spear-phishing attacks to target multiple industry sectors. These attacks allow criminals to access private computer networks. They exploit that access to create fake identities, steal intellectual property, and compromise financial credentials to steal money from victims? accounts.
<http://www.ic3.gov/media/2013/130625.aspx>

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
E.U. Reaction to Data Sharing Revelations Grew Slowly
While Europe was in an uproar Sunday over a magazine?s charge that Washington bugged European Union offices in the United States, the backlash on another type of intrusion has been surprisingly muted, namely the disclosure that U.S. technology leaders ? Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo ? may have shared E.U. citizens? personal data with an American surveillance program called Prism.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/technology/eu-reaction-to-data-sharing-revelations-grew-slowly.html>

Attacks from America: NSA Spied on European Union Offices
America's NSA intelligence service allegedly targeted the European Union with its spying activities. According to SPIEGEL information, the US placed bugs in the EU representation in Washington and infiltrated its computer network. Cyber attacks were also perpetrated against Brussels in New York and Washington.
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/nsa-spied-on-european-union-offices-a-908590.html>

Growing Alarm: German Prosecutors To Review Allegations of US Spying
The NSA's headquarters in Fort Meade, Maryland: German justice officials are reviewing allegations of spying against German citizens.
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-prosecutors-to-review-nsa-spying-allegations-a-908636.html>

Partner and Target: NSA Snoops on 500 Million German Data Connections
NSA spying is targeting Germany more intensely than previously believed. Secret documents viewed by SPIEGEL reveal that the American intelligence service monitors around half a billion telephone calls, emails and text messages in the country every day.
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/nsa-spies-on-500-million-german-data-connections-a-908648.html>

U.S. taps half-billion German phone, internet links in month-report
The United States taps half a billion phone calls, emails and text messages in Germany in a typical month and has classed its biggest European ally as a target similar to China, according to secret U.S. documents quoted by a German newsmagazine.
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/30/uk-usa-germany-spying-idUKBRE95T04I20130630>

Senators accuse government of using 'secret law' to collect Americans' data
A bipartisan group of 26 US senators has written to intelligence chiefs to complain that the administration is relying on a "secret body of law" to collect massive amounts of data on US citizens.
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/28/senators-james-clapper-nsa-data-collection>

Google not always a 'data controller' of data processed by search engines, says legal advisor
Internet search engine providers do not have to delete personal data from their index where that information has been published on third party websites, a legal advisor has said.
<http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/june/google-not-always-a-data-controller-of-data-processed-by-search-engines-says-legal-advisor2/>

Secret Court Declassifies Yahoo?s Role in Disclosure Fight
In the secret court that authorizes national security surveillance requests, everything is considered confidential ? even the existence of communications between companies and the court. But this week, the court drew back the curtain slightly, declassifying the fact that Yahoo was the company that fought the court in a momentous case in 2008.
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/28/secret-court-declassifies-yahoos-role-in-disclosure-fight/>

Kim Dotcom and Law Society on the Same Page Over Spy Bill
It might seem unusual, but Kim Dotcom and the New Zealand Law Society share at least one thing in common - they both oppose the form of the current Telecommunications (Interception Capability and Security) bill.
<http://www.lawfuel.co.nz/news/886/kim-dotcom-and-law-society-on-the-same-page-over-spy-bill>

**********************
MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
Stallman, Swartz among 32 inductees to the Internet Hall of Fame
FSF founder Richard Stallman, Mosaic co-author Marc Andreessen and Electronic Frontier Foundation co-founder John Perry Barlow are among 32 inductees to the Internet Hall of Fame this year.
<http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Stallman-Swartz-among-32-inductees-to-the-Internet-Hall-of-Fame-1897705.html>

Internet Hall of Fame Announces 2013 Inductees
The Internet Society today announced the names of the 32 individuals who have been selected for induction into the Internet Hall of Fame. Honored for their groundbreaking contributions to the global Internet, this year?s inductees comprise some of the world?s most influential engineers, activists, innovators, and entrepreneurs.
<http://www.internetsociety.org/news/internet-hall-fame-announces-2013-inductees>

------
David Goldstein

 email: david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:   http://goldsteinreport.com/
            http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery