[DNS] auDA domain news - 14 October

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:07:53 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

The core Internet institutions abandon the US Government by Milton Mueller
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/10/11/the-core-internet-institutions-abandon-the-us-government/>

The US is losing control of the internet
<http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/12/us-internet-control>

Registrars That Complied With "Shakedown" Requests May Now Be in Violation of ICANN Transfers Policy by Mark Jeftovic
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131010_domain_registrars_that_complied_with_shakedown_requests_violation/>

au: Think global from day one
<http://www.theage.com.au/small-business/growing/think-global-from-day-one-20131011-2vdma.html>

Second Level Registrations Coming For .NZ
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/10/11/second-level-nz/>

Websites simpler with a .nz
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/9273374/Websites-simpler-with-a-nz>

ICANN Needs to Distinguish Exact Matches from Acronyms in IGO/INGO Protections by Philip Corwin
<http://internetcommerce.org/IGO%2526INGO>

DotGreen calls it quits with ?impossible? gTLD auction looming
<http://domainincite.com/14695-dotgreen-calls-it-quits-with-impossible-gtld-auction-looming>

Some gTLD applicants welcome ICANN?s clash plan
<http://domainincite.com/14673-some-gtld-applicants-welcome-icanns-clash-plan>

Domain Name Association opens membership
<http://domainincite.com/14678-domain-name-association-opens-membership>

Registrations Of "Shutdown" Domains Jump Following US Government Shutdown
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/10/10/registrations-shutdown-domains/>

**********************
GOVERNANCE
**********************
The core Internet institutions abandon the US Government by Milton Mueller
In Montevideo, Uruguay this week, the Directors of all the major Internet organizations ? ICANN, the Internet Engineering Task Force, the Internet Architecture Board, the World Wide Web Consortium, the Internet Society, all five of the regional Internet address registries ? turned their back on the US government. With striking unanimity, the organizations that actually develop and administer Internet standards and resources initiated a break with 3 decades of U.S. dominance of Internet governance.
<http://www.internetgovernance.org/2013/10/11/the-core-internet-institutions-abandon-the-us-government/>

The US is losing control of the internet
All of the major internet organisations have pledged, at a summit in Uruguay, to free themselves of the influence of the US government.
<http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/12/us-internet-control>

Global Internet Bodies Turn Their Backs on U.S. Oversight
A batch of the Internet?s oversight bodies have taken a strong stand against the long-term dominance by the U.S. in governing the operation of the Internet.
<http://allthingsd.com/20131011/global-internet-bodies-turn-their-backs-on-u-s-oversight/>

ICANN, W3C Call For End Of US Internet Ascendancy Following NSA Revelations
Key Internet stakeholders, including ICANN, and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) have released a statement condemning pervasive government surveillance and calling for an internationalization of the Internet?s underlying framework.
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/11/icann-w3c-call-for-end-of-us-internet-ascendancy-following-nsa-revelations/>

ICANN, W3C, and other orgs say U.S. is ?undermining the trust of Internet users?
In a scathing statement on the state of the Web, leading organizations on Internet policy, governance, and architecture blasted the U.S. for its spying on Internet users.
<http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/11/icann-w3c-and-other-orgs-say-u-s-is-undermining-the-trust-of-internet-users/>

'Core Internet institutions' snub U.S. government
The United States may just have lost that much more control over the way the Internet is governed.
<http://www.infoworld.com/t/net-neutrality/core-internet-institutions-snub-us-government-228661>

Brazil's anti-NSA prez urged to SNATCH keys to the internet from America
The nine men and one woman who guide the growth and development of internet standards and practices have delivered a stinging rebuke to the US hegemony of the transnational "series of tubes" ? and have called for its management to be wrenched away from America's grip and fully internationalized.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/11/internet_heavyweights_turn_backs_on_snoopy_us_demand_global_oversight/>

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
October Applicant Update Webinar ? Call for Questions and Update on Q&A Flow
On 23 October 2013, ICANN will host its monthly New gTLD Applicant Update Webinar at 17:00 ? 18:30 UTC (10:00am ? 11:30am PDT) to provide information on program developments.
<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-4-11oct13-en>

New EE, IE Results Published
4 Applications Complete Extended Evaluation, 2 Held Applications Complete Initial Evaluation
<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-2-11oct13-en>

New Contracting Statistics Released
CIRS Sent Through Priority 1200
<http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/announcement-3-11oct13-en>

Revised Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure
Purpose (Brief): Seeking comments on the Revised Public Interest Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/draft-picdrp-02oct13-en.htm>

Christine Willett to Nikom Wairatpanij
Letter No.OOU61 dated 25 July 2013
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/willett-to-wairatpanij-08oct13-en>

Letter from Constantine Roussos, Founder | .MUSIC, to Dr. Steve Crocker, Fadi Chehad?, Susana Bennett, Akram Attallah, Christine Willett, Cherine Chalaby, Heather Dryden, John Jeffrey, Hannah Tu?mpel, Ana Sylvia Prado and ?pela Ko?ak
Concerns over New gTLD Program, NGPC Material Changes and their Impact on Community Objections
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/roussos-to-crocker-et-al-08oct13-en>

Registrars That Complied With "Shakedown" Requests May Now Be in Violation of ICANN Transfers Policy by Mark Jeftovic
At the time we posted 'Whatever Happened To Due Process,' we were unaware that we were just one of many registrars receiving these notices from the London (UK) Police. We have since been made aware that this was part of a larger initiative against the BitTorrent space as a whole, and that most if not all of the other registrars in receipt of the same email as us folded rather quickly and acquiesced to the shakedown orders.
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131010_domain_registrars_that_complied_with_shakedown_requests_violation/>

The Registrars Who Shut Down Websites After Demands From City Of London Police Likely Violated ICANN Policy
We recently wrote about the City of London Police ordering various registrars to shut down a list of websites based on the City of London Police themselves deciding they must be illegal.
<http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131011/01400624840/registrars-who-shut-down-websites-after-demands-city-london-police-likely-violated-icann-policy.shtml>

Internet registrar refuses to shut sites despite demands from City of London Police's Intellectual Property Crime Unit
A registrar has refused to follow requests from the newly formed Intellectual Property Police Division of the Metropolitan Police to suspend domain names citing the demands as an abuse of power and that the division is acting without the legal authority to do so.
<http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/10/12/internet-registrar-refuses-shut-sites-despite-demands-city-london-polices>

JPRS Submitted Comments to the Council Working Group on international Internet-related public policy issues(CWG-Internet)
On October 7th, 2013, JPRS submitted its comments in response to the solicitation of public views and opinions by the Council Working Group on international Internet-related public policy issues.
<http://jprs.co.jp/en/topics/2013/131008.html>

ICANN selects FICORA to its Nominating Committee
Mr Juhani Juselius, Head of the Products and Services group at the Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority (FICORA), has been selected to the Nominating Committee (NomCom) of ICANN for 2014.
<https://domain.fi/info/en/index/tietoa/ajankohtaista/2013/P_36_0.html>

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
au: Think global from day one
If you?re an Australian business with an online or mobile presence and you?re not thinking about selling internationally from day one, you?re cutting yourself off from potential future revenue and customers.
<http://www.theage.com.au/small-business/growing/think-global-from-day-one-20131011-2vdma.html>

NIC Costa Rica will upgrade contact information for all domains .cr
>From October 7th to November 29th, 2013, NIC Costa Rica will upgrade contact information for all domains .cr. You may be contacted through e-mail or phone in order to carry this out.
<http://www.nic.cr/niccr_publico/showSimpleNew.do?id=48>

DNSSEC activated for .is
... ISNIC has now finished the first stage in implementing DNSSEC for the .is TLD, by signing the .is zone and having the corresponding DS records published in the root zone by IANA. Records in the is zone can now be authenticated by properly configured DNS resolvers that support DNSSEC.
<http://www.isnic.is/en/news/index.php>

Reseller account hack caused Google's Malaysia sites to redirect [IDG]
The administrator for ".my" domain names in Malaysia plans to strengthen the security of partners that resell its services following an attack that affected Google on Friday.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/101413-reseller-account-hack-caused-google39s-274789.html>

Google's Malaysia site latest to be felled in DNS attacks [IDG]
Google's website for Malaysia was briefly tampered with on Friday, underscoring continuing weaknesses in entities administering crucial website address database records.
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/528877/google_malaysia_site_latest_felled_dns_attacks/>

MYNIC Domain Name System Not Compromised
<http://mynic.my/upload_media/5257ebf2852bc.pdf>

no: Qualified handling of domain disputes increasingly important
Norwegians are among the world's most frequent Internet users, and for a lot of businesses the domain name is essential. When a dispute concerning a domain name arises, a dispute resolution committee with competent and motivated lawyers is prepared to handle the case. For ten years, the ADR Committee has been a fast and inexpensive alternative to the courts for straightforward complaint cases.
<http://www.norid.no/nytt/pressemelding20131007.en.html>

New level of Internet domain names to provide more choice online for New Zealanders
The Council of InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) has today approved a policy proposal from subsidiary Domain Name Commission Ltd to allow domain names to be registered at the second level in the .nz domain name space, giving New Zealanders even more choice in getting online.
<https://internetnz.net.nz/news/media-releases/2013/New-level-Internet-domain-names-provide-more-choice-online-New-Zealanders>
<http://dnc.org.nz/story/new-level-internet-domain-names-provide-more-choice-online-new-zealanders>

Second Level Registrations Coming For .NZ
Registrants of .nz domain names will have even greater choice, probably in 2014, with the Council of InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) today approving a policy proposal from subsidiary Domain Name Commission Ltd allowing for registrations at the second level.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=21158>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/10/11/second-level-nz/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/second-level-registrations-coming-for-nz.html>

Websites simpler with a .nz
People will be able to dispense with the ".co" and ".net" in ".nz" web addresses and register new websites with simpler addresses, such as "wellington.nz" or "johnsmith.nz", under a new policy approved by InternetNZ.
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/9273374/Websites-simpler-with-a-nz>

New website naming option will allow 'NBR.nz' as well as 'NBR.co.nz'
We could soon be seeing shorter NZ website addresses. InternetNZ subsidiary the Domain Name Commission has this afternoon approved a policy proposal for second level domain names.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/new-website-naming-option-will-allow-nbrnz-well-nbrconz-ck-147022>

nz: Website domain naming change approved
Internet New Zealand has approved a policy that will allow users to simplify website domain names.
<http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/224460/website-domain-naming-change-approved>

A new suffix for Kiwi web addresses ahead
A new suffix to New Zealand website addresses is on the cyber horizon.
<http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/nbnat/371136455-a-new-suffix-for-kiwi-web-addresses-ahead>
<http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/19361111/a-new-suffix-for-kiwi-web-addresses-ahead/>
<http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/19355805/shorter-snappier-web-addresses-on-the-way/>

InternetNZ proposes second level .nz registrations
The Council of InternetNZ has approved a policy proposal from subsidiary Domain Name Commission to allow domain names to be registered at the second level in the .nz domain name space.
<http://www.telecompaper.com/news/internetnz-proposes-second-level-nz-registrations--972620>

Dot Kiwi welcomes .nz to the new era of the internet
The Council of InternetNZ has approved a proposal to allow Kiwis to register their domain names directly to .nz, a move which has been backed by New Zealand firm Dot Kiwi.
<http://techday.com/netguide/news/dot-kiwi-welcomes-nz-to-the-new-era-of-the-internet/171458/>

Facing Competition From .Kiwi, New Zeland ccTLD To Allow .NZ Registrations
The Council of InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc) which operates the ccTLD for New Zealand approved today to allow domain names to be registered at the second level in the .nz domain name space.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/11/facing-competition-from-kiwi-new-zeland-cctld-to-allow-nz-registrations/>

uk: Update on policy consultations
We would like to thank everyone who has contributed to our two recent consultations - the review of the .uk Registrar Agreement and the proposed opening up of .uk registrations at the second level. We also wish to encourage contributions to the review of .uk registration policy.
<http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/update-policy-consultations>

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
ICANN Needs to Distinguish Exact Matches from Acronyms in IGO/INGO Protections by Philip Corwin
Did you have any idea that registering idea.gifts might be a prohibited activity because some people think it?s more likely to be acquired by those seeking to mimic the International Development Association than by a new business start-up serving those Internet users searching for birthday gift ideas? Do you believe someone is more likely to register eco.shop as a website for ecologically beneficial products or to cybersquat the Economic Cooperation Organization? Does imo.cars have more value as an ?In My Opinion? blog website about automobile industry developments or as a spoof site targeting the International Maritime Organization? And if you saw an online ad for iso.love would you surmise that it?s a dating website for those ?In Search Of? romance rather than for the very small group that is sweet on the International Sugar Organization? Finally, when you see ?AU? do you think of Australia, the African Union, or American University?
<http://internetcommerce.org/IGO%2526INGO>

DotGreen calls it quits with ?impossible? gTLD auction looming
DotGreen, the first public and easily most visible applicant for the new gTLD .green, has withdrawn its application, saying it has become ?impossible? to continue.
<http://domainincite.com/14695-dotgreen-calls-it-quits-with-impossible-gtld-auction-looming>

DotGreen Is No More
Kevin reported on this last night. As you can see from the reactions to his post a lot of people are surprised, shocked and even quite upset that the DotGreen application has been withdrawn.
<http://www.internetnews.me/2013/10/12/dotgreen/>

Some gTLD applicants welcome ICANN?s clash plan
Some new gTLD applicants, including two of the bigger portfolio applicants, have grudgingly accepted ICANN?s latest name collisions remediation plan as a generally positive development.
<http://domainincite.com/14673-some-gtld-applicants-welcome-icanns-clash-plan>

Domain Name Association opens membership
The new Domain Name Association, which hopes to represent the interests of the domain name industry as a whole, has opened its doors to new members.
<http://domainincite.com/14678-domain-name-association-opens-membership>

New Domain Name Group Announces Membership Fees
The Domain Name Association, which we mentioned in the past, has announced its membership fees According to a slide deck published on the organisation?s site the membership fees range from $1000 / year to $50 thousand / year.
<http://www.internetnews.me/2013/10/10/new-domain-name-group-announces-membership-fees/>

Beyond the Dot
A new website ? Beyondthedot.com ? has launched to educate the public about the coming expansion of the Internet in the form of new TLDs, the text to the right of the dot in a web address.
<http://gtldstrategy.com/2013/10/10/beyond-the-dot/>

Oh brother, .Shop applicant has really lost it this time
Commercial Connect thinks applicant guidebook states only one TLD should be allocated for the entire ?ecommerce namespace?.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/11/oh-brother-shop-applicant-has-really-lost-it-this-time/>

.Wed becomes one of the first new TLDs to submit a new registry service request
The ink is barely dry on Atgron, Inc.?s contract with ICANN to run the .wed TLD, and the company has already submitted a Registry Service request for a new service.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/11/wed-becomes-one-of-the-first-new-tlds-to-submit-a-new-registry-service-request/>

More Extended Evaluation passes this week
Four new gTLD applications passed Extended Evaluation this week, and two that were stuck in Initial Evaluation finally made it through, ICANN just revealed.
<http://domainincite.com/14693-more-extended-evaluation-passes-this-week>

Donuts? first gTLD sunrise slated for October 29
Donuts has reportedly become the first new gTLD registry to announce its first sunrise periods.
<http://domainincite.com/14688-donuts-first-gtld-sunrise-slated-for-october-29>

Signed new TLD registry contracts have a wide range of priority numbers
Priority numbers helped companies at the beginning of the process but do not correlate closely with signed registry contracts.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/10/signed-new-tld-registry-contracts-have-a-wide-range-of-priority-numbers/>

Google and Amazon.com backpeddle on closed top level domain names
Google and Amazon.com have changed their minds about operating some of their applied-for gTLDs as ?closed? domain names.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/10/google-and-amazon-com-backpeddle-on-closed-top-level-domain-names/>

Third Bulgarian new gTLDs conference planned
Domain Forum, the Bulgarian new gTLDs conference, will run for a third time on November 1 in Sofia.
<http://domainincite.com/14685-third-bulgarian-new-gtlds-conference-planned>

Google acquires CRR.com domain name from Telepathy for new TLDs
It would seem that good .com domains are still highly prized, even by new TLDd applicants.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/11/google-acquires-crr-com-domain-name-from-telepathy-for-new-tlds/>

dotShabaka Diary ? Day 18, More TMCH uncertainty
The eighteenth installment of dotShabaka Registry?s journal, charting its progress towards becoming one of the first new gTLDs to go live, written by general manager Yasmin Omer.
<http://domainincite.com/14706-dotshabaka-diary-day-18-more-tmch-uncertainty>

1and1.com New gTLD Pre-Registrations Top 3 Million Domain Names
It was back on September 22nd when we posted that 1and1.com, the domain name registration which has been running television commercials in heavy rotation in the United States t0 promote new gTLD domain names broke the 2 Million pre-registration mark.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/11/1and1-com-new-gtld-pre-registrations-top-3-million-domain-names/>

Trademark Clearinghouse Verification Service Now Accepting Additional Abused Labels
Abused Domain Name label service for Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH) Verification is now available. It was created to help rights owners protect labels that have a history of being abusively used or registered in the Domain Names Space.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/11/trademark-clearinghouse-verification-service-now-accepting-additional-abused-labels/>

Afnic to attend the 3rd edition of the RINDD
The 2013 edition of the RINDD (Rencontres Internationales des Noms de Domaine) will focus on "New gTLDs". This important event for players on the French domain name market is organized by Mailclub, an Afnic-accredited registrar, on 10 and 11 October in Paris.
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/7302/show/afnic-to-attend-the-3rd-edition-of-the-rindd-1.html>

Quick Poll: Which of The 9 Donuts New gTLD Starting Sunrise In Oct Will Have The Most Registrations?
This week we wrote a post about Donuts starting to accept Sunrise Applications on its first 9 new gTLD?s on October 29.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/13/quick-poll-which-of-the-9-donuts-new-gtld-starting-sunrise-in-oct-will-have-the-most-registrations/>

ICANN Makes Domain Investor Daniel Negari The Poster Boy For The New gTLD Program In Video Released Tonight
ICANN has made Domain investor and new gTLD applicant Daniel Negari the poster boy for the new gTLD program in a video released by ICANN tonight on Twitter.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/12/icann-makes-domain-investor-daniel-negari-the-poster-boy-for-the-new-gtld-program-in-video-released-tonight/>

dotShabaka Diary ? Day 17, Collisions plan is a dog?s breakfast
The seventeenth installment of dotShabaka Registry?s journal, charting its progress towards becoming one of the first new gTLDs to go live, written by general manager Yasmin Omer.
<http://domainincite.com/14667-dotshabaka-diary-day-17-collisions-plan-is-a-dogs-breakfast>

ICANN Sends Out 1st Community Priority Evaluation Invitations; .Immo & .Taxi
ICANN has invited eligible community applicants to elect Community Priority Evaluation (CPE) as a potential method to resolve string contention.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/10/icann-sends-out-1st-community-priority-evaluation-invitations-immo-taxi/>

Google Backs Off On Closed Generic Strings Including .Search So Does L?Ore?al
It looks like Google has given up operating new gTLD generic stings as a close registry, even for .Search which at one point it wanted to operate as a Dotless Domain.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/10/google-backs-off-on-closed-generic-strings-including-search-so-does-loreal/>

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
The Technology Behind Our DDoS Protection Service: Athena
One of the things I love about working at Verisign is the amazing amount of technology that we have developed over the years. This technology wasn't created in a vacuum by some folks sitting around saying, "wouldn't it be cool to build this widget?" It was developed to solve real, internal problems.
<http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/the_technology_behind_our_ddos>

**********************
 - DOMAIN DISPUTES
**********************
London plod plonks, er, pull request on EasyDNS
Hosting outfit EasyDNS has gone public with a takedown request issued not by a court, but from the City of London Police.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/09/plods_plonk_takedown_notice_on_easydns/>

True Religion loses domain dispute, but you need to read the dissent
In July I wrote about how True Religion, maker of premium denim products, had filed a UDRP against the owner of TrueReligion.com to try to get the domain name.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/11/true-religion-loses-domain-dispute-but-you-need-to-read-the-dissent/>

Social Squatting & Brand Bombing: ?Ray-Bans? Instagram Deal Too Good to be True
Ray-Ban is the most recent brand to be the subject of a fake Instagram giveaway. In mid-September, a false account with the username of ?raybansofficial? promised the first 50,000 followers a free pair of the Ray-Ban sunglasses ? provided that Instagram users followed the account and gave them a shout out from their personal Instagram accounts.
<http://domainnamestrategy.com/2013/10/10/1593/>

After 12 Years & Over 70 UDRP?s Sony Finally Gets Around To Filing A UDRP On SonyStore.com
Sony has over 35 retail stores in the United States which sell just Sony Products and they are called Sony Stores.
<http://www.thedomains.com/2013/10/10/after-12-years-over-70-udrps-sony-finally-gets-around-to-filing-a-udrp-on-sonystore-com/>

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
Expansion of Eligible Address Space for Resource Certification (RPKI)
All address space transferred to the RIPE NCC by other RIRs is now eligible for Resource Certification (RPKI).
<http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/announcements/expansion-of-eligible-address-space-for-resource-certification-rpki>

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
Registrations Of "Shutdown" Domains Jump Following US Government Shutdown
Following the shutdown of the US government, the number of domain names registered using the string of "shutdown" have jumped. From 30 September to 10 October there have been 141 .com and .net domains registered that include the string and a total of 155 since 18 August.
<http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=21157>
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2013/10/10/registrations-shutdown-domains/>
<http://www.domainnews.com/registrations-of-shutdown-domains-jump-following-us-government-shutdown.html>

Are free domains really a good idea?
It came as no surprise when I saw the latest figures from Netcraft recently that the amount of phishing attacks had increased during July.
<http://www.netnames.com/blog/2013/10/are-free-domains-really-a-good-idea/>

**********************
 - DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET
**********************
Are you going to TRAFFIC?
The next TRAFFIC domain conference takes place in Fort Lauderdale starting October 20.
<http://domainnamewire.com/2013/10/10/are-you-going-to-traffic/>

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
David Byrne: 'The internet will suck all creative content out of the world'
The boom in digital streaming may generate profits for record labels and free content for consumers, but it spells disaster for today's artists across the creative industries
<http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/11/david-byrne-internet-content-world>

**********************
SOCIAL MEDIA
**********************
Facebook's Social Feed: How to Check Your Privacy Settings
Facebook is making another effort to capture a bigger share of the ?social conversation? around news and pop-culture events. Your posts might be part of that push if you aren?t up to snuff on how you publish.
<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/09/facebooks-social-feed-how-to-check-your-privacy-settings/>

Facebook axes privacy feature that let users hide profiles from search [AP]
Facebook is getting rid of a privacy feature that let users limit who can find them on the social network.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/facebook-axes-privacy-feature-that-let-users-hide-profiles-from-search/2013/10/10/3b6c3a9a-31ef-11e3-ad00-ec4c6b31cbed_story.html>

Google to Sell Users' Endorsements
Those long-forgotten posts on social networks, from the pasta someone photographed to the rant about her dentist, are forgotten no more. Social networks want to make them easier to find, and in some cases, to show them in ads.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/12/technology/google-sets-plan-to-sell-users-endorsements.html>

Google to put user photos, comments in online ads
Google has made a fortune selling ads. Now it?s trying to put its hundreds of millions of users to work as company pitchmen, using the profiles, pictures and recommendations of ordinary people to endorse products and services across the Web.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/google-to-put-user-photos-comments-in-online-ad-endorsements/2013/10/11/322e483e-3289-11e3-8627-c5d7de0a046b_story.html>

Senator to FTC: Does Google ad change break privacy deal?
Sen. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commission on Saturday asking if Google's upcoming change to its Terms of Service -- which means people with Google Profiles may see their names and photos used in Google ads, reviews, and elsewhere -- violates the company's 2011 privacy settlement with the FTC over its now defunct Buzz service.
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57607247-93/senator-to-ftc-does-google-ad-change-break-privacy-deal/>

**********************
ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY
**********************
Media bosses hope mobile devices will help, rather than hurt, television
In the television business, as at buffets, people crave seconds. A series is deemed a success if it is renewed for another season. The industry is currently obsessed with the ?second screen??mobile phones and tablets that people play with while they watch TV. Around three-quarters of American internet users regularly fiddle with a mobile device while watching the gogglebox. Media executives are abuzz working out how to turn this distraction into profitable transactions.
<http://www.economist.com/news/business/21587822-media-bosses-hope-mobile-devices-will-help-rather-hurt-television-cracking-screens>

**********************
ONLINE CRIME & LEGAL
**********************
Dark web 'will evolve', warns UK cyber crime chief Andy Archibald
The "dark web" services used by criminals will continue to evolve in an attempt to evade authorities, the UK's cybercrime boss has warned.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24495029>

**********************
SECURITY
**********************
Are Obama?s new cybersecurity standards a form of privacy regulation in disguise?
While the National Security Agency has been working to gather data about Americans' communications, other branches of government have been working to develop new rules to promote online privacy and security.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/10/11/are-obamas-new-cybersecurity-standards-a-form-of-privacy-regulation-in-disguise/>

New NIST Cybersecurity Standards Could Pose Liability Risks
Critical infrastructure companies could face new liability risks if they fail to meet voluntary cybersecurity standards being developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9243150/New_NIST_cybersecurity_standards_could_pose_liability_risks>
<http://www.cio.com/article/741333/New_NIST_Cybersecurity_Standards_Could_Pose_Liability_Risks>
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/528897/new_nist_cybersecurity_standards_could_pose_liability_risks/>

National Cyber Security Awareness Month
This month, we are marking the tenth anniversary of National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM). The goal is to raise awareness and educate Americans about the importance of cyber security. Agencies and organizations are holding events and driving initiatives to engage Americans in a discussion about how to establish safer practices.
<http://blogs.cisco.com/government/cyber-security-month/>

Internet Security Survey 2014 ? Take part now!
For the fifth time, the eco Competence Group Security is carrying out a survey on the expected trends in the area of Internet Security for the coming year.
<http://international.eco.de/2013/news/internet-security-survey-2014-take-part-now.html>

**********************
PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE
**********************
N.S.A. Director Firmly Defends Surveillance Efforts
The director of the National Security Agency, Gen. Keith B. Alexander, said in an interview that to prevent terrorist attacks he saw no effective alternative to the N.S.A.?s bulk collection of telephone and other electronic metadata from Americans. But he acknowledged that his agency now faced an entirely new reality, and the possibility of Congressional restrictions, after revelations about its operations at home and abroad.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/us/nsa-director-gives-firm-and-broad-defense-of-surveillance-efforts.html>

us: A Senator Raises Privacy Questions About Cross-Device Tracking
A lawmaker has asked the Federal Trade Commission to investigate online ad companies that track consumers across devices, like showing them ads on their phones based on Web sites they visit on a computer.
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/a-senator-raises-privacy-questions-about-cross-device-tracking/>

Guardian's NSA revelations: spies to go under spotlight
British deputy prime minister Nick Clegg is to start conversations in government about how to update the legal oversight of the UK's security services in the light of disclosures by the Guardian that powerful new technologies appear to have outstripped the current system of legislative and political oversight.
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/10/guardian-nsa-spies>

Surveillance, democracy, transparency ? a global view
The Guardian has been calling for a debate about surveillance by the intelligence agencies since Edward Snowden began leaking files which showed the exponential rise in state snooping capabilities.
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/10/surveillance-global-view-debate>

'What the Guardian is doing is important for democracy'
On Thursday the Daily Mail described the Guardian as 'The paper that helps Britain's enemies'. We showed that article to many of the world's leading editors. This is what they said
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/10/guardian-democracy-editors>

Editorial: Monitoring Your Every Move
You may have even less privacy than you thought. Most Internet users know that Web sites and advertisers monitor what they do online and use that information to pitch products and services. What?s not as well known is that these companies can track individuals as they move between devices like personal computers, cellphones and tablets. This type of ?cross-device? tracking raises significant privacy concerns because most users are simply unaware that it is taking place.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/opinion/monitoring-your-every-move.html>

GCHQ mass surveillance putting right to challenge state at risk, say lawyers
The Law Society is considering issuing new guidance to solicitors across England and Wales amid growing concern that the government's mass online surveillance operations are undermining their ability to take legal cases against the state.
<http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/oct/13/gchq-surveillance-right-challenge-state-law>

Skype under investigation in Luxembourg over link to NSA
Skype is being investigated by Luxembourg's data protection commissioner over concerns about its secret involvement with the US National Security Agency (NSA) spy programme Prism, the Guardian has learned.
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/11/skype-ten-microsoft-nsa>

**************************
GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY
**************************
'Dutch sandwich' grows as Google shifts ?8.8bn to Bermuda
Google funnelled ?8.8bn of royalty payments to Bermuda last year, a quarter more than in 2011, underlining the rapid expansion of a strategy that has saved the US internet group billions of dollars in tax.
<http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/89acc832-31cc-11e3-a16d-00144feab7de.html>

nz: Amy Adams hits back as "Axe the copper tax" coalition launches
ICT Minister Amy Adams has hit back at the Coalition for Fair Internet Pricing, launched this morning.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/axe-copper-tax-coalition-launching-midday-ck-145721>

nz: No need to worry about TPP - Groser
Critics of the Trans-Pacific Partnership don?t need to worry about intellectual property issues or paying more for drugs, says Trade Minister Tim Groser.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/no-need-worry-about-tpp-ts-147044>

nz: OPINION: TPP - Groser trades away tech to save agriculture
A pending international trade treaty could override a recent New Zealand law change that excluded software from patent protection.
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/opinion-us-heavies-nz-software-patents-ck-106373>

------
David Goldstein

 email: david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:   http://goldsteinreport.com/ / http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery