[DNS] auDA Domain News - 13 March

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 08:56:56 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Sir Tim Berners-Lee: World wide web needs bill of rights
<http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26540635>

'Nothing Is Perfect': Tim Berners-Lee on 25 Years of the Web
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/interview-with-tim-berners-lee-on-25th-anniversary-of-world-wide-web-a-958304.html>

au: Negative politics ?don?t work?
<http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/2143447/negative-politics-dont-work/>

au: More to the story: Labor candidate says domain buy-up should be investigated
<http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/2143452/more-to-the-story-labor-candidate-says-domain-buy-up-should-be-investigated/>

Rockefeller to ICANN: Websites Ending in ".Sucks" Do Not Serve the Public Interest
<http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=b3eb5f23-0b85-49ac-85b2-1b81c3fb0db4>

**********************
GOVERNANCE
**********************
Sir Tim Berners-Lee: World wide web needs bill of rights
The inventor of the world wide web has marked the 25th anniversary of his creation by calling for a 'Magna Carta' bill of rights to protect its users.
<http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26540635>

An online Magna Carta: Berners-Lee calls for bill of rights for web
The inventor of the world wide web believes an online "Magna Carta" is needed to protect and enshrine the independence of the medium he created and the rights of its users worldwide.
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/12/online-magna-carta-berners-lee-web>

'Nothing Is Perfect': Tim Berners-Lee on 25 Years of the Web
Twenty-five years ago today, Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. In an interview, he looks back on his creation -- its strengths, the threats it poses and how Edward Snowden's revelations have raised awareness about Internet integrity.
<http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/interview-with-tim-berners-lee-on-25th-anniversary-of-world-wide-web-a-958304.html>

The Future of Internet Freedom by Eric E. Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, and Jared Cohen, the director of Google Ideas, are the authors of ?The New Digital Age: Transforming Nations, Businesses and Our Lives?
Over the next decade, approximately five billion people will become connected to the Internet. The biggest increases will be in societies that, according to the human rights group Freedom House, are severely censored: places where clicking on an objectionable article can get your entire extended family thrown in prison, or worse.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/opinion/the-future-of-internet-freedom.html>

Panel on Global Internet Cooperation & Governance Mechanisms Submits NETMundial Contribution Following Sunnylands Meeting
On March 7, the Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms submitted a contribution to NETMundial following their second meeting to discuss guiding principles for a global Internet governance ecosystem at The Annenberg Retreat at Sunnylands in Rancho Mirage, California. Representing a diverse group of global stakeholders from government, civil society, the private sector, the technical community and international organizations, the panel looks forward to feedback on its NETMundial contribution.
<http://internetgovernancepanel.org/news/panel-global-internet-cooperation-governance-mechanisms-submits-netmundial-contribution>
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-2-11mar14-en.htm>

**********************
DOMAIN NAMES
**********************
**********************
 - ICANN
**********************
Balancing the Tasks At Hand by Fadi Chehad?
I?ve written about balance before, in the context of finding balance between work and life, and the need to slow down for reflection. Today, I find myself writing about balance again, but this time with a slightly different perspective. Now, I am thinking about the importance of striking a balance between the important work facing the ICANN community in three different spheres: Continuing to mature ICANN?s operations, ICANN?s globalization, and our contribution to global Internet governance.
<http://blog.icann.org/2014/03/balancing-the-tasks-at-hand/>

Pre-Singapore Policy Update Webinar by David Olive
It is that time again. ICANN 49 in Singapore is around the corner. The Policy Development team is working diligently to update our ICANN Community on the progress of the bottom-up, consensus-driven working groups across the ICANN Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees.
<http://blog.icann.org/2014/03/pre-singapore-policy-update-webinar/>

Bulk Transfer of Domain Names from ABSYSTEMS INC dba yournamemonkey.com to EnCirca, Inc.
ICANN has authorized the bulk transfer of gTLD domain names from ABSYSTEMS INC dba yournamemonkey.com to EnCirca, Inc. due to compliance actions taken by ICANN that resulted in the de-accreditation of ABSYSTEMS INC dba yournamemonkey.com.
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-10mar14-en.htm>

John Crain, Chief Security, Stability, and Resiliency Officer | ICANN, to Burt Kaliski Jr. and Patrick S. Kane
Alternate Path Still Lacking Technical Justification 	Burt Kaliski Jr. and Patrick S. Kane to Akram Atallah and John Crain [Published 24 January 2014]
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/crain-to-kaliski-kane-07mar14-en>

Joshua S. Wattles, Advisor In Chief | DeviantART, Inc., to Christine Willett
Letter of Support/Endorsement
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/wattles-to-willett-06mar14-en>

Anton Vidokle, CEO | E-Flux, Inc., to Christine Willett
Letter of Support/Endorsement .ART Community Applications by Eflux.art and DaDotart. Inc.
<http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/vidokle-to-willett-06mar14-en>

**********************
 - ccTLD & gTLD NEWS
**********************
au: Negative politics ?don?t work?
AN Australian National University marketing expert claims Australian voters are sick of negative political campaigns and that Mildura?s domain name fiasco may in fact backfire.
<http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/2143447/negative-politics-dont-work/>

au: More to the story: Labor candidate says domain buy-up should be investigated
SEAT of Mildura Labor candidate Shane Roberts has slammed a domain name buy up of web addresses linked to aspiring Sunraysia politicians.
<http://www.sunraysiadaily.com.au/story/2143452/more-to-the-story-labor-candidate-says-domain-buy-up-should-be-investigated/>

fr: Registrars Express High Satisfaction With Afnic
A survey of 105 registrars has found that 99 percent are satisfied with Afnic?s services, according to an annual survey conducted on behalf of the French registry.
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/03/11/registrars-satisfaction-afnic/>

fr: 99% of Registrars Satisfied with Afnic Services
Afnic has disclosed the results of its annual survey on the quality of its services. Afnic has renewed its annual survey on the quality of its services, carried out by the INIT company, in which 105 registrars participated in 2013.
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/7671/show/99-of-registrars-satisfied-with-afnic-services.html>

 '.ro' registry to introduce new domain name regulations [registration]
The National Institute for Research and Development in Informatics, the registry for the Romanian TLD, is planning to introduce new regulations on the registration and renewal of '.ro' domain names. The main changes concern the validity period of '.ro' registrations and the associated fees.
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=465ff33a-a3f8-42b2-93e2-b30a6774b8b7>

**********************
 - NEW TLDS
**********************
Rockefeller to ICANN: Websites Ending in ".Sucks" Do Not Serve the Public Interest
Chairman John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV today expressed his concern about allowing websites to use names that end in ?.sucks?, explaining that the only apparent purpose of these websites is to extract ?defensive registration? payments from Internet users, and unfairly defame individuals, non-profit organizations, and businesses.
<http://www.commerce.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=PressReleases&ContentRecord_id=b3eb5f23-0b85-49ac-85b2-1b81c3fb0db4>

Rockefeller slams .sucks as ?predatory shakedown?
US Senator Jay Rockefeller today came out swinging against the proposed .sucks new gTLD, saying it looks like little more than a ?predatory shakedown? by applicants.
<http://domainincite.com/16028-rockefeller-slams-sucks-as-predatory-shakedown>

us: Senator Thinks ?.sucks? Domain Name Sucks
Senate Commerce Committee chairman Jay Rockefeller (D., W.V.) said Wednesday that companies shouldn?t be allowed to register website names that end in ?.sucks? because it will allow third parties to conduct a ?predatory shakedown scheme? of companies and nonprofits.
<http://recode.net/2014/03/12/senator-thinks-sucks-domain-name-sucks/>

Jay Rockefeller slams ?.sucks? for websites
In a sharply worded letter Wednesday, the chairman of the Senate Commerce committee told the group that oversees the domain name system it should not approve the ending .sucks for use in websites.
<http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/jay-rockefeller-websites-domain-dot-sucks-104594.html>

Google giving away 5,000 free new gTLD domains
Google is giving away free .??? domains. According to a company spokesperson, the first 5,000 people to submit a .??? web site idea via a campaign web site will receive a coupon for a free one-year registration in the new namespace.
<http://domainincite.com/16016-google-giving-away-5000-free-new-gtld-domains>

Donuts? ?eco? debacle affected two-character domains too
Donuts has clawed back a couple dozen premium domain names from their erstwhile owners after accidentally selling names that were supposed to be restricted.
<http://domainincite.com/16021-donuts-eco-debacle-affected-two-character-domains-too>

PIR goes live with three non-Latin .org gTLDs
Public Interest Registry had three new gTLDs delegated over the weekend, all non-Latin versions of its flagship .org.
<http://domainincite.com/16010-pir-goes-live-with-three-non-latin-org-gtlds>

Trademark Clearinghouse: ICANN as Big Brother?
ICANN has brought another layer of complexity to protecting trademarks from being poached as part of a domain name. As of March 26 2013 trademark owners may now submit their brand names to be included in the new Trademark Clearinghouse. The stated goal is to serve as a centralized database of verified information in order that trademark holders throughout the world can better protect their rights on the Internet.
<http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/trademark-clearinghouse-icann-as-big-br-54781/>

My Take on New gTLD Registration Numbers
I?ve been following along on the reported numbers of registrations for new gTLD domain names. Earlier this morning, I shared my thoughts on what sunrise registrations might mean. According to Domain Incite, as of March 5, there were just over 200,000 domain names registered in the new gTLD extensions (As Kevin comments below, this figure doesn?t include brands protected with Donuts? DPML).
<http://www.domaininvesting.com/take-new-gtld-registration-numbers/>

**********************
 - DNS SECURITY
**********************
us: N.S.A. Nominee Promotes Cyberwar Units
All of the major combat commands in the United States military will soon have dedicated forces to conduct cyberattacks alongside their air, naval and ground capabilities, Vice Adm. Michael S. Rogers, President Obama?s nominee to run the National Security Agency, told the Senate on Tuesday. He said the activation of the long-discussed combat units would help counter the perception around the world that the United States is ?an easier mark? for cyberattacks because it did not ?have the will to respond.?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/world/europe/nsa-nominee-reports-cyberattacks-on-ukraine-government.html>

China awakens to its vulnerability to cyber attacks from the US
The Central Leading Group on Cyber Security and Informatization was formed a week ago in China. The 22-member group consists of 12 core leaders at the central level including Chinese President Xi Jinping and Primer Li Keqiang, and 10 top figures at the ministerial level.
<http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2014-03/10/content_31734465.htm>

SWIFT boss calls for international standardisation of cyber security requirements
Businesses should not have to comply with a complex set of differing rules on cyber security, the chief executive of the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) has said.
<http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/march/swift-boss-calls-for-international-standardisation-of-cyber-security-requirements/>

Cybercrime Industry, Mobile Malware Pose Major Threats: McAfee Report
In its latest quarterly threat report, security software developer McAfee warns of a burgeoning cybercrime industry supplying malicious code, the misuse of legitimate code-signing certificates, a Microsoft Office zero-day exploit, and mobile apps that collect user data.
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/cybercrime-industry-mobile-malware-pose-major-threats-mcafee-report>

Fortinet Updates DDoS Attack Mitigation Solution for New Threats
Fortinet has expanded its family of Distributed Denial of Service products with four new appliances to help detect and mitigate large threats designed to wield large numbers of infected systems to flood servers with requests and crowd out legitimate traffic.
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/fortinet-updates-ddos-attack-mitigation-solution-new-threats>

Large DDoS Attack Brings Wordpress Pingback Abuse Back Into Spotlight
Attackers have abused the WordPress pingback feature, which allows sites to cross-reference blog posts, to launch a large-scale, distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack, according to researchers from Web security firm Sucuri.
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/540251/large_ddos_attack_brings_wordpress_pingback_abuse_back_into_spotlight/>
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/540251/large_ddos_attack_brings_wordpress_pingback_abuse_back_into_spotlight/>

162,000 WordPress Sites Used in DDoS Attack
More than 162,000 ?popular and clean? WordPress sites were recently used in a large-scale distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) that exploited the content management system?s pingback feature.
<http://threatpost.com/162000-wordpress-sites-used-in-ddos-attack/104745>

INDECOPI has ordered Red Cient?fica Peruana - the administrator of the '.pe' ccTLD - to suspend the registration of the domain name 'thepiratebay.pe'. INDECOPI based its decision on the fact that the 'Pirate Bay' website has been involved in legal actions in other jurisdictions, and that it has been proven that the website contributes to the violation of third-party IP rights.
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/Detail.aspx?g=936c19da-aa66-494a-a1d9-a28c05b99ed1>

U.S. Court Orders Seizure of ?DVD Ripping? Software Domains, Servers and Funds
A New York federal court has granted the seizure of several domain names, bank funds and social media accounts belonging to DVD ripping software company DVDFab. Judge Broderick ruled in favor of AACS, the licensing outfit founder by Warner Bros, Disney, Microsoft, Intel and others.
<http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-court-orders-seizure-dvdfab-domain-names-funds-140310/>

Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd v. Apex Domain Pty Ltd - Case No. DAU2014-0001
1. The Parties: The Complainant is Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd of Jerusalem, Israel, represented by SafeNames Ltd., United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Respondent is Apex Domain Pty Ltd of Bankstown, Australia. 2. The Domain Name and Registrar: The Disputed Domain Name <tevapharm.com.au> is registered with TPP Wholesale Pty Ltd.
<http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=DAU2014-0001>

**********************
 - IPv4/IPv6
**********************
IPv6 could open networks up to zero-day attacks
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) warns that moving from IPv4 to IPv6 is a process fraught with peril, which may explain why government agencies are so far behind their own deadlines for implementation.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031014-ipv6-attacks-279510.html>

World wide web is going strong after 25 years, but the internet isn?t holding up
Most people would agree with the principle that good foundations are essential to any structure that is intended to last. But what if when you started building, you didn?t envisage how large, complex or essential your structure would become? As we celebrate 25 years of the world wide web, the extraordinarily accurate science of hindsight brings to light just such a situation.
<http://theconversation.com/world-wide-web-is-going-strong-after-25-years-but-the-internet-isnt-holding-up-24297>

**********************
 - MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
A Brief History of the Domain Name
... As the world celebrates the web's 25th anniversary, it seems fitting to acknowledge the network addresses that help us navigate through the robustness of the Internet today. Below, we've listed a few of the most influential and interesting moments in the history of domain names.
<http://mashable.com/2014/03/10/domain-names-history/>

MelbourneIT stores domain passwords in cleartext
MelbourneIT is storing domain transfer passwords in cleartext and emailing the credentials to users without their request.
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/374095,melbourneit-storing-domain-passwords-in-cleartext.aspx>

First to the domain-name game
Have you ever wondered who pioneered the Internet land grab? In the mid-1980s, these leading-edge companies were the first to register .com addresses. But where are they now? Some are stronger than ever; some have been bought and sold; and others just host ads.
<http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10019733.html>

**********************
INTERNET USE
**********************
25 things you might not know about the web on its 25th birthday
It sprang from the brain of one man, Tim Berners-Lee, and is the fastest-growing communication medium of all time. A quarter-century on, we examine how the web has transformed our lives
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/09/25-years-web-tim-berners-lee>

Strictly algorithm: how news finds people in the Facebook and Twitter age
>From Spotify and Netflix recommendations to Facebook?s news feed or Google?s search results, algorithms play a pivotal role in our media consumption.
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/journalism-democracy-algorithms-facebook-google-twitter>

The Deep Web you don't know about
What we commonly call the Web is really just the surface. Beneath that is a vast, mostly uncharted ocean called the Deep Web.
<http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/10/technology/deep-web/index.html>

The internet of things is embedding itself into everyday items
The world of the internet-connected toothbrush is well and truly in full swing, after Oral B became the second company to launch a bluetooth-connected toothbrush at the Mobile World Congress earlier this month.
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/the-internet-of-things-is-embedding-itself-into-everyday-items>

*********************************
CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY
*********************************
uk: Online child abuse images becoming 'more extreme, sadistic and violent'
Online child abuse images are becoming more extreme, more sadistic and more violent, with a higher proportion depicting the abuse of younger children, a Home Office minister has said.
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/mar/11/online-child-abuse-images-more-extreme-sadistic-violent>

Self-harm sites and cyberbullying: the threat to children from web's dark side
"Some of the images do scare me, especially if it's my friends. Once my friend cut lines down the side of his face as a 'Chelsea Smile', he put it online and it was the worst thing I had ever seen. He's my friend, I don't want to see him that upset. He got so much hate for it and ended up going into hibernation, nobody heard from him for over a week and we honestly thought he had killed himself."
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/mar/10/self-harm-sites-cyberbullying-suicide-web>

au: Former chief justice Alastair Nicholson urges jail for cyber-bullying
Cyber-bullying should be a crime that carries a three-month prison sentence for the worst adult offenders, a former chief justice of the Family Court says.
<http://www.theage.com.au/national/former-chief-justice-alastair-nicholson-urges-jail-for-cyberbullying-20140310-34hw6.html>
<http://www.smh.com.au/national/former-chief-justice-alastair-nicholson-urges-jail-for-cyberbullying-20140310-34hw6.html>

au: Net safety ?hard to enforce? [subscription]
ONE of the nation?s largest internet providers has warned that the Coalition?s plans for a regulatory crackdown on cyber-bullying could prove ?near impossible? to enforce.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/net-safety-hard-to-enforce/story-fn59niix-1226851908092>

au: App-tapping tots need cyber bully lessons [subscription]
THE growing popularity of apps, tablets, smartphones and computers among toddlers has triggered a call for them to be taught about the dangers of cyber bullying in childcare.
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/policy/apptapping-tots-need-cyber-bully-lessons/story-fn59nlz9-1226851908444>

**********************
PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE
**********************
Snowden: Surveillance is 'setting fire' to the internet
Global mass surveillance conducted by the US and other governments is "setting fire to the future of the internet", Edward Snowden told a packed auditorium of technology innovators via video link in Austin at the South by Southwest Interactive conference on Monday.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-echochambers-26519307>

How a Court Secretly Evolved, Extending U.S. Spies' Reach
Ten months after the Sept. 11 attacks, the nation?s surveillance court delivered a ruling that intelligence officials consider a milestone in the secret history of American spying and privacy law. Called the ?Raw Take? order ? classified docket No. 02-431 ? it weakened restrictions on sharing private information about Americans, according to documents and interviews.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/us/how-a-courts-secret-evolution-extended-spies-reach.html>

The NSA is 'setting fire to the future of the Internet' states Edward Snowden as he calls for stronger online encryption
PRISM whistleblower Edward Snowden has said that the National Security Agency (NSA) is "setting fire to the future of the internet" and revealed he still believes his actions were correct and that the world has benefitted as a result of his continued releasing of classified information on communications surveillance.
<http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/03/10/nsa-setting-fire-future-internet-states-edward-snowdon-he-calls-stronger-online>

Trust in the internet 'now missing': Neelie Kroes says billions no longer trust the internet
Billions of people around the world do not trust the internet, claims European Commission vice-president Neelie Kroes.
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26512369>

If GCHQ wants to improve national security it must fix our technology
In a recent column, security expert Bruce Schneier proposed breaking up the NSA ? handing its offensive capabilities work to US Cyber Command and its law enforcement work to the FBI, and terminating its programme of attacking internet security. In place of this, Schneier proposed that ?instead of working to deliberately weaken security for everyone, the NSA should work to improve security for everyone.? This is a profoundly good idea for reasons that may not be obvious at first blush.
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/11/gchq-national-security-technology>

us: Senate intelligence head says CIA 'searched computers'
The head of the US Senate intelligence committee has publicly accused the CIA of improperly accessing computers used by congressional staff.
<http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26533323>

**********************
MISCELLANEOUS
**********************
New boycott called on Apple products for toxic chemical use [IDG]
Green America, a D.C.-based non-profit group, and The Nation magazine launched a campaign Wednesday intended to persuade consumers to boycott Apple products unless the company makes changes in its production and supply chain operations.
<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2014/031214-new-boycott-called-on-apple-279658.html>
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2107560/new-boycott-called-on-apple-products-for-toxic-chemical-use.html>

**********************
TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Mapping the tubes: The hidden world of undersea cables that make up the internet
When former US senator Ted Stevens described the internet in 2006 as a ?series of tubes? he was mocked mercilessly, but as this map of the vast network of undersea cables that the internet runs through is anything to go by, he wasn?t too far off.
<http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/mapping-the-tubes-the-hidden-world-of-undersea-fibre-optic-cables-that-make-up-the-internet-9184055.html>

David Goldstein

 email: david at goldsteinreport.com

 web:   http://goldsteinreport.com / http://davidgoldstein.tel/
 phone: +61 418 228 605 ? mobile / +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery