[DNS] auDA Domain News - 3 November

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 15:01:16 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

Has the United Nations taken over the Internet yet?

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/itu_plenipot_primer/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/itu_plenipot_primer/>

After America: Who should govern the Internet?

< <http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/after-america3a-who-should-govern/5829470> http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/after-america3a-who-should-govern/5829470>

Outcomes of auDA 2014 AGM

< <http://www.auda.org.au/news/outcomes-of-auda-2014-agm/> http://www.auda.org.au/news/outcomes-of-auda-2014-agm/>

Research suggests consumers are ready to embrace new gTLDs

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=98d12609-a49e-4338-a05b-572bd8e59d27> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=98d12609-a49e-4338-a05b-572bd8e59d27>

Tackling the Registry Onboarding Process

< <http://gtldstrategy.com/2014/10/29/tackling-the-registry-onboarding-process/> http://gtldstrategy.com/2014/10/29/tackling-the-registry-onboarding-process/>

Donuts Among Big Winners As Total New gTLD Registrations Pass 3 Million In 9 Months

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/31/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/31/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million/>

au: "Fake" White Ribbon website faces legal action

< <http://www.smh.com.au/national/fake-white-ribbon-website-faces-legal-action-20141031-11f556.html> http://www.smh.com.au/national/fake-white-ribbon-website-faces-legal-action-20141031-11f556.html>

au/cc: Hard line on asylum boats sparks passport scam [subscription]

< <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/hard-line-on-asylum-boats-sparks-passport-scam/story-fn9hm1gu-1227110128835> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/hard-line-on-asylum-boats-sparks-passport-scam/story-fn9hm1gu-1227110128835>

Holiday.com domain name could fetch ?20m

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/02/holiday-com-domain-name-20m-pounds> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/02/holiday-com-domain-name-20m-pounds>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Has the United Nations taken over the Internet yet?

For the past five days, and the next nine, dozens of government representatives are in Busan, Korea discussing changes to the international telecommunications regime.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/itu_plenipot_primer/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/itu_plenipot_primer/>

China to hold high-level world Internet conference

China will host a high-profile Internet conference next month, bringing together more than 1,000 representatives from tech firms and regulators, said China's top Internet regulator Lu Wei on Thursday.

< <http://www.china.org.cn/china/2014-10/31/content_33927008.htm> http://www.china.org.cn/china/2014-10/31/content_33927008.htm>

After America: Who should govern the Internet?

The United States has signalled its willingness to give up its unofficial stewardship role of the Internet. Who should take over, and who will?

< <http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/after-america3a-who-should-govern/5829470> http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/after-america3a-who-should-govern/5829470>

Enhanced Confusion: The European Council and the Governance of the Internet by Wolfgang Kleinw?chter

On November 1, 2014, the new European Commission started its work. One of the priorities of its new president, Jean Claude Juncker, is the digital agenda. The European Union wants to be a leader in the Internet world of tomorrow. Vice President Andrus Ansip from Estonia (some people spell the country name "e-stonia") and Commissioner G?nter Oettinger from Germany will have special responsibilities to implement the big plans. Juncker was elected by the European Parliament, although the green light for his nomination came from the European Council.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141031_enhanced_confusion_european_council_and_governance_of_the_internet/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141031_enhanced_confusion_european_council_and_governance_of_the_internet/>

What do the Wall Street Journal and the ITU have in common? by Milton Mueller

It?s Hallowe?en and, appropriately enough, there are scary things going on in Internet governance land. Let?s begin with the western world?s favorite Internet bogeyman, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU). The ITU is holding its quadrennial Plenipotentiary in Busan, South Korea. Booo!

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/11/01/what-do-the-wall-street-journal-and-the-itu-have-in-common/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2014/11/01/what-do-the-wall-street-journal-and-the-itu-have-in-common/>

Remarks of Assistant Secretary Strickling at The Media Institute: Remarks of Lawrence E. Strickling, Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Communications and Information

I want to thank The Media Institute and Dick Wiley in particular for inviting me today. It has been four years since I last spoke here, and it is great to be back again. When I spoke here in 2010, I talked about the evolution of Internet policy making and the limited role of governments in that process. That debate has only become more intense in the last four years. We are committed in the U.S. government to policies that we believe will ensure that the Internet continues to grow and develop in the years to come to provide the opportunities for job creation, innovation and free expression.

< <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2014/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-media-institute> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2014/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-media-institute>

Consensus sought with US on governance of Internet

Beijing wants to seek consensus with Washington at an upcoming worldwide network summit on how the Internet should be governed, an official at China's cyberspace watchdog said on Thursday.

< <http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2014-10/31/content_18841864.htm> http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/us/2014-10/31/content_18841864.htm>

ICANN 51: Continuing Global Discussion of IANA Stewardship and ICANN Accountability

The 51st ICANN meeting was held in Los Angeles, USA, from 11-16 October 2014, with questions surrounding the IANA stewardship transition and the accountability of ICANN driving much of the agenda.

< <http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/announcements/icann-51-continuing-global-discussion-of-iana-stewardship-and-icann-accountability> http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/announcements/icann-51-continuing-global-discussion-of-iana-stewardship-and-icann-accountability>

**********************

REPORTS & RESEARCH PAPERS

**********************

Updating the global network through IPv6 by Jakub Rozsypal

The issue of depletion of IPv4 address space is a long known phenomenon. Yet as of 2014 the three-decade old protocol is still very much alive and firmly in control of the global network. This paper will discuss its envisioned alternative ? IPv6. The structure of the argument will start with a look on the technicalities of the concerned protocols dissecting v4 first and v6 second. Next it will discuss the current state of affairs and the issues connected to governing the structure of the network.

< <http://postnito.cz/?p=4972> http://postnito.cz/?p=4972>

Navigating Cybersquatting Enforcement In The Expanding Internet by Jordan A. Arnot

Abstract: It has always been a considerable task to police something as vast at the Internet for trademark violations and abuse. As the Internet develops with the ongoing launch of hundreds of new gTLDs, so does the host of enforcement options available to those seeking to protect the value of trademarks and other intellectual property.

< <http://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1324&context=ripl> http://repository.jmls.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1324&context=ripl>

Jurisdictional Limits of in rem Proceedings Against Domain Names by Michael Xun Liu, University of Michigan Law School

Abstract: In 1999, Congress passed the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) to combat ?cybersquatters? who profited by registering domain names that were confusingly similar to established trademarks. Under the ACPA, trademark owners have a specific cause of action against domain name registrants accused of cybersquatting. Moreover, the law gives U.S. courts in rem jurisdiction over trademark infringing domain names registered to parties that are not subject to personal jurisdiction.

< <http://repository.law.umich.edu/mttlr/vol20/iss2/5/> http://repository.law.umich.edu/mttlr/vol20/iss2/5/>

The Tangled Web: A Case Against New gTLDs by Joseph P. Smith III

Is the ?dot-com? era over as we know it? On June 13, 2012, ICANN revealed the list of applied-for new gTLDs. TLDs are the words at the end of a website?s address, such as <.com>. ICANN is a non-profit organization responsible for managing the Internet?s system of unique identifiers, including domain names. ICANN describes itself as the definer of ?policies for how the ?names and numbers? of the Internet should run.? It is structured on a multi-stakeholder model including ?registries, registrars, Internet Service Providers (ISPs), intellectual property advocates, commercial and business interests, non-commercial and non-profit interests, representation from more than 100 governments, and a global array of individual Internet users.? ICANN contracts with gTLD registries and registrars to manage the Internet?s domains. Each registrar is required to enter into a register accreditation agreement with ICANN, which gives registrars the ability to register new domains. ... This article?s purpose is to provide a general understanding of the legal and financial implications of the new gTLDs. By looking at the history and functionality of gTLDs, the reader will hopefully have the requisite background to understand the implications of adding new TLDs. The article discusses the following topics.

< <http://jolt.richmond.edu/index.php/the-tangled-web-a-case-against-new-generic-top-level-domains/> http://jolt.richmond.edu/index.php/the-tangled-web-a-case-against-new-generic-top-level-domains/>

>From Cyber-Libertarianism to Neoliberalism: Internet Exceptionalism, Multi-stakeholderism, and the Institutionalisation of Internet Governance in the 1990s by Chenou, Jean-Marie

Abstract: Although it is often taken for granted that Internet governance should employ the principle of multi-stakeholderism and that existing governance structures are not suitable for the regulation of the Internet, this article places the emergence of such principles in the context of the 1990s. Drawing on international political sociology and neo-Gramscian scholarship, it explores how different elites were able to coalesce around basic principles of Internet governance to create ICANN.

< <http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/article?option1=tka&value1=icann&sortDescending=true&sortField=prism_publicationDate&pageSize=10&index=1> http://www.ingentaconnect.com/search/article?option1=tka&value1=icann&sortDescending=true&sortField=prism_publicationDate&pageSize=10&index=1>

The Internet of Everyone by Vinton G. Cerf, Google & Nii Quaynor, Network Computer Systems [subscription]

ABSTRACT: The US government has announced that it will end its unique oversight role over ICANN, assuming that a multistakeholder model of accountability and transparency can be developed by the Internet community by September 2015. The National Telecommunication and Information Administration (NTIA) that held this responsibility for many years recognizes that this stewardship role should become the responsibility of the global providers and users of the Internet.

< <http://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/ic/2014/03/mic2014030096.html> http://www.computer.org/csdl/mags/ic/2014/03/mic2014030096.html>

Hybrid net: the regulatory framework of ICANN and the DNS by Emily M. Weitzenboeck [subscription]

Abstract: ICANN is responsible for the management and coordination of the internet domain name and address space, which are critical resources necessary for internet connectivity. Though international in reach since it cooperates with persons, organizations and governments in many countries, ICANN was set up as a private non-profit organization under California law. This article examines the role, legal nature and basis of ICANN and the DNS.

< <http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/49.short> http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/49.short>

Give it away now? Renewal of the IANA functions contract and its role in internet governance by Kevin McGillivray [subscription]

ICANN has acquired many of the tools it uses to govern the DNS by contract or other agreements with the United States Government (USG). One of the most important agreements ICANN has for managing the DNS is the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions contract. This agreement puts ICANN in charge of technical functions and management of major aspects of the DNS, including the DNS Root Zone coordination and allocation of global IP and AS number spaces. The following article considers the recent renewal of the IANA functions contract and evaluates the implications that renewal rounds may have for ICANN in the future. The article further analyses a possible transfer of the IANA functions from the USG to ICANN. Additionally, the article considers the legal path for a transition of the current agreement from a procurement contract to a cooperative agreement pursuant to US administrative law.

< <http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/3.abstract> http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/3.abstract>

A gTLD right? Conceptual challenges in the expanding internet domain namespace by Tobias Mahler [subscription]

Abstract: Many new gTLDs are currently being added to the internet?s domain name system. It is, therefore, important to ask how we should conceptualize the legal aspects of this expansion. This article focuses on the legal position acquired by a successful applicant for a new gTLD. It examines several possible concepts and proposes a ?gTLD right? as a potential new addition to our conceptual framework. This is intended to denote the contractually based bundle of rights in a gTLD string. The proposal is based on the finding that several other relevant concepts do not adequately describe the legal position of a successful gTLD applicant. In particular, it is difficult to claim that the applicant acquires a property right in the gTLD string. Moreover, while it is technically adequate to say that the gTLD is ?delegated into the internet root?, the legal concept of ?delegation? does not adequately capture the contractual foundation of this bundle of rights.

< <http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/27.abstract> http://ijlit.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/1/27.abstract>

ICANN offers rapid relief to trade mark holders in clear cases of infringement by David Taylor [subscription]

Abstract: Today, cyber-squatting continues and consumers continue to be misled. Court action and even the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) take time and money. With the impending launch of hundreds of new gTLDs, it became clear back in 2009 that the UDRP alone might not be sufficient in dealing with cyber-squatters and other mischievous third parties seeking fertile new ground to register other people's trade marks in bad faith and re-direct traffic or further mislead consumers and other Internet users in the upcoming new gTLD program of ICANN.

< <http://jiplp.oxfordjournals.org/content/9/5/357.short> http://jiplp.oxfordjournals.org/content/9/5/357.short>

ICANN, Health Information and the "Dot Health" TLD [subscription]

The problems of poor or biased information and of misleading health and wellbeing advice on the Internet is well known. The recent decision by ICANN to authorize a large number of new gTLDs, including some with a clear connection to health or healthcare, presents an opportunity to bring some order to this chaotic situation. In the case of the most general of these domains, ".health", experts advance a compelling argument in favor of some degree of content control. On the opposing side, advocates for Internet freedom counter that this is too valuable to be compromised, and once lost it may never be recovered. The author supports a proposal to bridge the credibility gap in online health information by providing provenance information for websites in the .health domain.

< <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6881926&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6881926> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6881926&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6881926>

Geographic names and domain names [Book Review] by David Lindsay [subscription]

Abstract: Review(s) of: Protection of geographic names in international law and domain name system policy, by Heather Ann Forrest, (2013, Wolters Kluwer) 339 pages including bibliography, tables and diagrams.

< <http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=187364342607066;res=IELBUS> http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=187364342607066;res=IELBUS>

< <http://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-03-v2-n1/a29> http://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-03-v2-n1/a29>

Geographic Internet domains by Heather Ann Forrest [subscription]

This article offers insight into why geographic domain names remain problematic more than two decades after these issues first arose, identifies trends in DNS policy respecting geographic names and highlights the impact on various Internet stakeholders of current policy and decisions.

< <http://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-03-v2-n1/a22> http://telsoc.org/ajtde/2014-03-v2-n1/a22>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

DNS Entrepreneurship Workshop: 'Building a Sustainable Domain Names Business in Africa and the Middle East'

Background: In our continuous effort to engage with the stakeholders in Africa and the Middle East, ICANN joins the Africa Information and Communication Technologies Alliance (AfICTA) and Egypt's National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (NTRA) in organizing a first of its kind two-day workshop on DNS Entrepreneurship.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-31-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-31-en>

ICANN Audited Financial Statements for FY14 Have Been Published

ICANN continues to provide accountability and transparency regarding its financial results, with another unqualified audit report from the independent auditors, BDO LLP, newly appointed. The Report of Independent Auditors and Financial Statements for ICANN for the years ending 30 June 2014 and 2013 is available on the "Financial Information for ICANN" page of the ICANN.org site and also included in this announcement.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-10-31-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-10-31-en>

ICANN FY14 Annual Report of Expense Reimbursement and Other Payments to ICANN Directors For the Period 1 July 2013 through 30 June 2014

As part of its accountability and transparency processes ICANN publishes a report in accordance with Article XVI, section 3 of the ICANN Bylaws which provides, in part, that "The Board shall publish, at least annually ? a description of any payments made by ICANN to Directors (including reimbursements of expenses)."

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2014-10-31-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2014-10-31-en>

Making Progress on Internationalized Domain Names by Nigel Hickson, Vice President, Intergovernmental Organization Engagement, ICANN & Sally Shipman Wentworth, Vice President, Global Policy Development, Internet Society

This week, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Plenipotentiary Conference in Busan, South Korea revisited the Role of administrations of Member States in the management of internationalized (multilingual) domain names, which is formally known as ITU Resolution 133 (Guadalajara, 2010). The discussion primarily focused on how to update Resolution 133 and evaluate the progress made since 2010.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/making-progress-on-internationalized-domain-names> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/making-progress-on-internationalized-domain-names>

Did the EWG choose a centralized model for the RDS?

Expert Working Group member Faisal Shah answers the question: "Did the EWG choose a centralized model for the Registration Directory Service (RDS) data?"

< <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7xm9m22G0> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7xm9m22G0>

ICANN board bill tops $2 million

ICANN?s board of directors cost the organization over $2 million in pay and expenses in its fiscal 2014, a document released last night shows.

< <http://domainincite.com/17585-icann-board-bill-tops-2-million> http://domainincite.com/17585-icann-board-bill-tops-2-million>

Oops! Cock-up reveals ICANN survey respondent emails

An ICANN contractor accidentally revealed the email addresses of almost 100 people who responded to a survey related to a review of the Generic Names Supporting Organization.

< <http://domainincite.com/17588-oops-cock-up-reveals-icann-survey-respondent-emails> http://domainincite.com/17588-oops-cock-up-reveals-icann-survey-respondent-emails>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

Outcomes of auDA 2014 AGM

auDA held its 2014 Annual General Meeting in Melbourne on Monday 27 October. The meeting elected two Supply Class directors and two Demand Class directors.

< <http://www.auda.org.au/news/outcomes-of-auda-2014-agm/> http://www.auda.org.au/news/outcomes-of-auda-2014-agm/>

be: Security leak in SSL 3.0

A security leak was discovered recently in the SSL 3.0 protocol. What can you do to protect yourself (and your website)?

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/security-leak-ssl-30> http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/security-leak-ssl-30>

.ee domain price to drop to 9 euros

On 1 January 2015, the Estonian Internet Foundation will bring the price of an .ee domain down to 9 euros.

< <http://www.internet.ee/en/news/ee-domain-price-to-drop-to-9-euros/> http://www.internet.ee/en/news/ee-domain-price-to-drop-to-9-euros/>

Domain names under .no also attract private individuals

Kari (females) and in particular Ola (males) are registering more domain names now that .no is available for private use. The vast majority plan to use the domain for a website or a blog, or they are going to use it for email.

< <http://www.norid.no/statistikk/su/privabonnent-2014.en.html> http://www.norid.no/statistikk/su/privabonnent-2014.en.html>

Kids.us Education Advisory Committee Publishes Final Report

The Kids.us Education Advisory Committee was convened in April 2014 to consider the ongoing suspension of the kids.us third-level namespace, as well as to contemplate future initiatives and principles through which Neustar can advance positive and educational experiences for kids within the usTLD more broadly.

< <http://www.neustar.us/kids-us-education-advisory-committee-publishes-final-report/> http://www.neustar.us/kids-us-education-advisory-committee-publishes-final-report/>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

Research suggests consumers are ready to embrace new gTLDs

A global survey of internet users, conducted on behalf of the Domain Name Association (DNA), has revealed a receptiveness to the addition of new domain name extensions ? findings that have a number of trademark takeaways.

< <http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=98d12609-a49e-4338-a05b-572bd8e59d27> http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=98d12609-a49e-4338-a05b-572bd8e59d27>

Facebook opens up to anonymous Tor users with .onion address

Facebook is making it easier for users of the Tor anonymising service to access the social network, by launching a .onion address.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/31/facebook-anonymous-tor-users-onion> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/31/facebook-anonymous-tor-users-onion>

Facebook Says You Can be Social and Secure, Acquires .Onion Address for Tor Users

The so-called darknet, which is accessible via the anonymizing Tor network, has a reputation for being home to many disreputable sites. But now the biggest social network in the world is available via Tor. Facebook announced Friday that it is available to Tor users via a .onion address--the pseudo-top-level-domain used by Tor hidden services.

< <http://www.cio.com/article/2841844/facebook/facebook-says-you-can-be-social-and-secure-acquires-onion-address-for-tor-users.html> http://www.cio.com/article/2841844/facebook/facebook-says-you-can-be-social-and-secure-acquires-onion-address-for-tor-users.html>

Tackling the Registry Onboarding Process

While the recent focus of the New gTLD Program has been centered around contention sets, auctions, and contracting, it isn?t too early for Registry Operators (especially brand owners) to start thinking about Registry Onboarding.

< <http://gtldstrategy.com/2014/10/29/tackling-the-registry-onboarding-process/> http://gtldstrategy.com/2014/10/29/tackling-the-registry-onboarding-process/>

Donuts Among Big Winners As Total New gTLD Registrations Pass 3 Million In 9 Months

There are now over three million domain names registered across the 254 new gTLDs that have entered General Availability and another 173 that have been delegated according to figures compiled by nTLDstats.com.

< <http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23059> http://goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23059>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/31/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/31/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million.html> http://www.domainnews.com/donuts-winners-gtld-registrations-3-million.html>

Does auctioning off a new TLD to the highest bidder set up failure?

Let me start by saying I?m not a big fan of the idea of community priority and similar mechanisms for determining which applicant gets a particular TLD.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/30/does-auctioning-off-a-new-tld-to-the-highest-bidder-set-up-failure/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/30/does-auctioning-off-a-new-tld-to-the-highest-bidder-set-up-failure/>

London?s theatre organisations adopt new ?.london? web addresses

The Society of London Theatre, Shakespeare?s Globe and the Royal College of Music are among organisations who will adopt new London-specific web addresses.

< <http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2014/10/londons-theatre-organisations-adopt-new-london-web-addresses/> http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/2014/10/londons-theatre-organisations-adopt-new-london-web-addresses/>

.bank and Other Domain Names to Open for Financial Institutions... and Others

The governing body that administers the domain name space, ICANN, is in the process of vastly expanding the number of TLDs (like .com and .net) from less than thirty gTLDs that exist now, to nearly a thousand new domain spaces in the near future. Included in this expansion are the new gTLDs .bank, .insurance and .money. A more detailed list of these gTLDs that are relevant to the banking industry is set forth further below.

< <http://www.natlawreview.com/article/bank-and-other-domain-names-to-open-financial-institutions-and-others> http://www.natlawreview.com/article/bank-and-other-domain-names-to-open-financial-institutions-and-others>

General Availability For .SAARLAND Commences

As of 30 October, the .SAARLAND domain is available for open registration by all Saarland people and Saarland fans. With the so called GoLive, the start of the General Availability, the unrestricted sale of .SAARLAND web addresses starts at 11:00 UTC. So as of now .SAARLAND domains can be registered on a ?first-come, first-served? basis.

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/30/general-availability-saarland-commences/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2014/10/30/general-availability-saarland-commences/>

< <http://www.domainnews.com/general-availability-saarland-commences.html> http://www.domainnews.com/general-availability-saarland-commences.html>

Infibeam unveils `.ooo' domain for netizens globally

Soon people across the world will be able to access their favorite websites ending with '.ooo'. Netizens globally will now have an alternate to widely used '.com' in form of '.ooo' which has been launched by Ahmedabad-based e-commerce company Infibeam.

< <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Infibeam-unveils-ooo-domain-for-netizens-globally/articleshow/45003474.cms> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Infibeam-unveils-ooo-domain-for-netizens-globally/articleshow/45003474.cms>

Startup.club Launches To Help Entrepreneurs Get Access To Great .Club Premium Domain Names

Now just about any entrepreneur or startup can have access to a great high-value .CLUB domain name to build a business around, thanks to the launch of Startup.CLUB today at the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. East Conference in Miami.

< <http://rightofthedot.com/2014/10/startup-club-launches-to-help-entrepreneurs-get-access-to-great-club-premium-domain-names/> http://rightofthedot.com/2014/10/startup-club-launches-to-help-entrepreneurs-get-access-to-great-club-premium-domain-names/>

RightOfTheDot, LLC Teams Up With CentralNic To Launch Sites To Sell City New gTLD?s Domain Names

CentralNic plc, the internet platform business which derives revenues from the global sale of domain names, today announces its joint venture (?JV?) with leading international domain name consultancy RightOfTheDot, LLC (?RightOfTheDot?), to create specialist and innovative new retail websites for the sale of ?city domains? as part of the most important reorganisation of the internet since its inception; the advent of new TLDs.

< <http://rightofthedot.com/2014/10/rightofthedot-llc-teams-up-with-centralnic-on-sites-to-sell-city-new-gtlds-domain-names/> http://rightofthedot.com/2014/10/rightofthedot-llc-teams-up-with-centralnic-on-sites-to-sell-city-new-gtlds-domain-names/>

?Dot-Radio? ? The EBU Responds

In the going dispute over who will win the right to manage the ?dot-radio? domain, the European Broadcasting Union, poised as the favorite, says that ?some confusion has resulted from press releases issued by BRS,? one of three other applicants for the .radio TLD.

< <http://www.radioworld.com/article/> http://www.radioworld.com/article/?dot-radio?-?-the-ebu-responds/273095>

ROTD lends geo names to CentralNic registrar push

CentralNic and Right Of The Dot have teamed up to offer a series of geographically themed registrar storefronts for new gTLDs.

< <http://domainincite.com/17593-rotd-lends-geo-names-to-centralnic-registrar-push> http://domainincite.com/17593-rotd-lends-geo-names-to-centralnic-registrar-push>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

Biggest ever cyber security exercise in Europe today

More than 200 organisations and 400 cyber-security professionals from 29 European countries are testing their readiness to counter cyber-attacks in a day-long simulation, organised by the European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA).

< <http://www.enisa.europa.eu/media/press-releases/biggest-ever-cyber-security-exercise-in-europe-today> http://www.enisa.europa.eu/media/press-releases/biggest-ever-cyber-security-exercise-in-europe-today>

< <http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-1227_en.htm> http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-1227_en.htm>

Nato frontline in life-or-death war on cyber-terrorists

It?s been a busy week in the skies above Europe?s periphery, as Nato has repeatedly scrambled jets to track ?unusual? sorties by Russian bombers.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/30/nato-frontline-cyber-terrorists-war> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/30/nato-frontline-cyber-terrorists-war>

Cyber risks evolving faster than business capabilities, says accountancy body

The speed at which cyber attacks are evolving is not being matched by the speed at which businesses are improving their capabilities to address cyber security risks, the Institute for Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) has said.

< <http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/october/cyber-risks-evolving-faster-than-business-capabilities-says-accountancy-body/> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2014/october/cyber-risks-evolving-faster-than-business-capabilities-says-accountancy-body/>

'Major' hacking attack in US looms: survey [AAP]

Cyber attacks might be taking a toll now, but a survey of experts says things are likely to get even worse in the US over the next decade.

< <http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/62839579/major-hacking-attack-in-us-looms-survey> http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/62839579/major-hacking-attack-in-us-looms-survey>

Millions hit in Drupal hack attack

Software firm Drupal warns millions to "assume" they have been hacked if they have not applied a patch for a recently discovered bug.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29846539> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29846539>

Drupal: Attacks Started Within Hours Of Patch Release

Users of the Drupal content management system platform got a rude awakening this week: According to Drupal, automated attacks began compromising Drupal 7 websites that were not patched or updated to Drupal 7.32 within hours of the announcement of SA-CORE-2014-005 -- Drupal core -- SQL injection. And here's the kicker ?- users should proceed with the assumption that every Drupal 7 website was compromised unless it was updated before 11:00 p.m. UTC on Oct. 15.

< <http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/drupal-attacks-started-within-hours-of-patch-release/d/d-id/1317145> http://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/drupal-attacks-started-within-hours-of-patch-release/d/d-id/1317145>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

A Brief History of the UDRP

We write about trademark enforcement and domain disputes, but we rarely discuss how these policies ? which allow for the resolution of disputes over domain names to take place outside of a court room ? came to be. And it?s an important topic, since having a single, agreed-upon process for recourse was a milestone in domain name enforcement.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/30/a-brief-history-of-the-udrp/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/30/a-brief-history-of-the-udrp/>

Legal Fees Go Up in Smoke

As a brand owner have you ever wondered how efficiently you?re using your precious trademark enforcement budget? During my nearly 10-year tenure heading up the intellectual property practice for The Home Depot, this was constantly at the forefront of my mind. Unfortunately, this may not have been the case for whoever handles in-house legal matters at the Complainant company in the recent case of UTVG Europe Holding B.V. v. Vitali S, WIPO Case No. D2014-1345.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/27/legal-fees-go-up-in-smoke/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/27/legal-fees-go-up-in-smoke/>

Reverse Domain Name Hijacking

Should more orders be made for Reverse Domain Name Hijacking (RDNH)? Complainants do not incur any actual penalties for findings of Reverse Domain Name Hijacking against them. So, when should orders for RDNH be made?

< <http://www.domaintimes.info/reverse-domain-name-hijacking-4/> http://www.domaintimes.info/reverse-domain-name-hijacking-4/>

au: "Fake" White Ribbon website faces legal action

White Ribbon Australia is considering taking legal action to stop a men's rights group who has taken the name of the anti-domestic violence group and is using it to publish "misinformation" about violence towards women. ... The domain names are very similar ? whiteribbon.org.au is the genuine Australian branch and whiteribbon.org is registered by A Voice for Men.

< <http://www.smh.com.au/national/fake-white-ribbon-website-faces-legal-action-20141031-11f556.html> http://www.smh.com.au/national/fake-white-ribbon-website-faces-legal-action-20141031-11f556.html>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

The Story of IPv4

It?s been a big year for IP addressing, with several key milestones reached and now there?s less than 115 million available IPv4 addresses left. How did we get to this point?

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2014/11/03/the-story-of-ipv4/> http://blog.apnic.net/2014/11/03/the-story-of-ipv4/>

FAKE Australian passports are being peddled online, as illegal immigrants fly to Australia to bypass the Abbott government?s stop-the-boats policy. The Australian Federal Police is investigating a website, with a Cocos Islands domain name, that offers to ?clone?? genuine passports for $866.

< <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/hard-line-on-asylum-boats-sparks-passport-scam/story-fn9hm1gu-1227110128835> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/immigration/hard-line-on-asylum-boats-sparks-passport-scam/story-fn9hm1gu-1227110128835>

RIPE NCC Member Update: Issue 28

The latest RIPE NCC Member Update is now available online. This edition has lots of information about what's going on internally at the RIPE NCC as well as external issues such as the IANA stewardship transition.

< <http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/ripe-ncc-member-update-issue-28> http://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/ripe-ncc-member-update-issue-28>

Stopping Illegal Activity Online - It's More Complicated Than It Seems by Byron Holland

There was a compelling article in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) the other day about ICANN and illegal online pharmacies. The result of a six-month investigation, the reporter, Jeff Elder, calls into question ICANN's effectiveness in investigating complaints of suspected illegal activity on domain names it has a contractual relationship with. Elder cites a recent incident where Interpol and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration tried to have 1,300 websites shut down because they were suspected of selling drugs without a prescription.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141030_stopping_illegal_activity_online_more_complicated_than_it_seems/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141030_stopping_illegal_activity_online_more_complicated_than_it_seems/>

Deadline of Oct 31 to Register for IAB Workshop on Stack Evolution in a Middlebox Internet by Dan York

Can we develop better transport protocols for communication across the Internet? In a world where the "end-to-end" principle is no longer certain and middleboxes are common, which paths through the Internet are actually available to applications? Which transports can be used over these paths? How can applications cooperate with network elements to improve path establishment and discovery? ... These are all questions posed for the Internet Architecture Board's (IAB) Workshop on Stack Evolution in a Middlebox Internet (SEMI). Taking place in Z?rich, Switzerland from 26-27 January, 2015.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141030_deadline_to_register_for_iab_workshop_on_stack_evolution/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141030_deadline_to_register_for_iab_workshop_on_stack_evolution/>

**********************

- WEBHOSTING

**********************

DigitalOcean: 4th largest hosting company in under 2 years

The number of web-facing computers hosted by DigitalOcean has grown by nearly 400% over the past year, making it the fourth largest hosting company in the world.

< <http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/10/31/digitalocean-4th-largest-hosting-company-in-under-2-years.html> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/10/31/digitalocean-4th-largest-hosting-company-in-under-2-years.html>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Holiday.com domain name could fetch ?20m

A new record price for a domain name could be set this week when a web address that has been described as the ?holy grail of the travel industry? goes under the hammer.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/02/holiday-com-domain-name-20m-pounds> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/02/holiday-com-domain-name-20m-pounds>

Valuable Pinyin Domains Now Available through Sedo More Accessibility for the Asian Domain Market

We have some great news for domain sellers: you can now include your Pinyin domains among your domains listed for sale."Pinyin" has recently been added to our domain listing and domain search system.

< <https://sedo.com/us/news/3515/Valuable-Pinyin-Domains-Now-Available-through-Sedo-/> https://sedo.com/us/news/3515/Valuable-Pinyin-Domains-Now-Available-through-Sedo-/>

A Dozen .Coms Lead This Week's Sales Parade but ccTLDs and Non .Com gTLDs also Dot the Top 20

For the first time since the end of August no six-figure sales were reported this week. That left the door open for GoldPay.com to claim the top spot on our latest weekly all extension Top 20 Sales Chart with a $64,000 sale at Sedo.com.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20141022.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2014/20141022.htm>

Domain Holdings sold nearly $10 million in domain names last quarter

Domain Holdings? outbound domain name sales machine continued to churn last quarter, with the company selling $9.55 million worth of domains in Q3.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/29/domain-holdings-sold-10-million/> http://domainnamewire.com/2014/10/29/domain-holdings-sold-10-million/>

**********************

REPORTS & RESEARCH PAPERS

**********************

Skills and Jobs in the Internet Economy

Both generic and specialised ICT skills are becoming an important requirement for employment across the economy as the Internet becomes more engrained in work processes, but a significant part of the population lacks the basic skills necessary to function in this new environment. This paper examines the impact of the Internet on the labour market in this context.

< <http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/science-and-technology/skills-and-jobs-in-the-internet-economy_5jxvbrjm9bns-en> http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/science-and-technology/skills-and-jobs-in-the-internet-economy_5jxvbrjm9bns-en>

**********************

SOCIAL MEDIA

**********************

What is Social Squatting?

As the popularity of social media platforms increases and their numbers proliferate, attorneys are constantly trying to shut down usernames that harmfully infringe on brands or trademarks. Thanks to the variety of policies and procedures that exist from platform to platform, it is not a simple matter. Recently at an INTA event in San Francisco, the majority of the IP attorneys attending a panel on social media raised their hands when asked if they had attempted to take down an offending username in the last month. When prompted to keep their hands up if they were satisfied with the process, only a few hands remained in the air.

< <http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/28/what-is-social-squatting/> http://domainnamestrategy.com/2014/10/28/what-is-social-squatting/>

**********************

SPAM

**********************

au: ACMA, Privacy Commissioner to collaborate on spam, telemarketing issues

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and Privacy Commissioner, Timothy Pilgrim, have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to work closer together on telecommunications, spam and telemarketing issues.

< <http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/558631/acma-privacy-commissioner-collaborate-spam-telemarketing-issues/> http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/558631/acma-privacy-commissioner-collaborate-spam-telemarketing-issues/>

**********************

PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE

**********************

While the internet is accountable to nobody, privacy will be in crisis

The Edward Snowden documentary Citizenfour opens in UK cinemas on Friday, putting the dangers of surveillance squarely in the public eye. But Laura Poitras? film isn?t the first time that an artist has explored the threat that technology poses to privacy. John Cheever did it, too, in 1947.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/31/internet-privacy-crisis> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/31/internet-privacy-crisis>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & PUBLIC POLICY

**************************

TPP ?Section-by-Section Analysis of Some Provisions People Aren?t Talking About

Abstract: This paper analyses certain key provisions of the leaked 16 May 2014 text of the TPP IP Chapter ? mostly, the ones people haven?t been talking about: particularly the trade mark, designs, and geographical indications provisions, as well as rules regarding national treatment, the preamble or objectives clauses, and the criminal liability provisions. It also makes some limited comments about the interaction between the chapter and investor-state dispute settlement.

< <http://infojustice.org/archives/33512> http://infojustice.org/archives/33512>

au: Government will pay telcos and ISPs under metadata retention bill

The Abbott government will make ?substantial? payments to Australian telcos and internet service providers under a new scheme requiring the companies to store data about their customers? activities for two years.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/30/metadata-retention-bill-will-require-data-to-be> http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/30/metadata-retention-bill-will-require-data-to-be>

au: The Coalition's metadata agenda: Q&A with Scott Ludlam

The Coalition government has introduced its controversial data retention legislation into the House of Representatives, rushing through a process that could cost ISPs millions of dollars and record the data of every phone call made and every website visited in Australia.

< <http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/10/30/technology/coalitions-metadata-agenda-qa-scott-ludlam> http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/10/30/technology/coalitions-metadata-agenda-qa-scott-ludlam>

Copyright Monopoly Enforcement Gets To Trump Human Rights, Yet Again

Australia's administration has introduced a Data Retention bill, learning nothing from the court rulings that declare the practice to be in violation of fundamental rights. They plan to log everybody's correspondence and movements - with the idea of using that data to enforce the copyright monopoly.

< <http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-monopoly-enforcement-gets-to-trump-human-rights-yet-again-141102/> http://torrentfreak.com/copyright-monopoly-enforcement-gets-to-trump-human-rights-yet-again-141102/>

**********************

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

**********************

au: NBN Co's great gamble by Mark Gregory

NBN Co has just got a brand-new HFC division up and running which will run by chief technology and security officer Dennis Steiger. The former Shaw Communications executive has plenty of experience under his belt but navigating the murky waters of the NBN won?t be easy.

< <http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/10/31/technology/nbn-cos-great-gamble> http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2014/10/31/technology/nbn-cos-great-gamble>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:    <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/ /  <http://davidgoldstein.tel/> http://davidgoldstein.tel/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery