[DNS] auDA domain news - 22 June

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 14:44:37 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

IANA Transition Slipping; Technical Communities Ask For Phases

Preparations for transitioning the IANA ? with core elements of the global
internet ? out of United States oversight do not appear to on track for the
30 September deadline. As a result, cautious pressure is mounting from the
internet protocol numbers administration and protocol standardisation bodies
to consider at least a ?phased implementation? of the transition.

<
<http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/19/iana-transition-slipping-technical-commu
nities-ask-for-phases/>
http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/06/19/iana-transition-slipping-technical-commun
ities-ask-for-phases/>

US govt: Am I the only one around here who cares about DNS security and
stability?

The US government has signaled its concern yet again over plans to give
ICANN full control of the vital mechanisms that keep the internet held
together.

<
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/18/us_government_stages_another_iana_i
ntervention/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/18/us_government_stages_another_iana_in
tervention/>

OK, forget DNS for a sec. Why not shift IP addresses and protocols away from
Uncle Sam?

The director general of regional internet registry APNIC, Paul Wilson, has
called for a staggered transition of the critical IANA contract away from
the US government.

<
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/internet_registry_head_calls_for_st
aggered_iana_transition/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/internet_registry_head_calls_for_sta
ggered_iana_transition/>

Internet must be regulated by UN, ITU - Dolgov

The attendees of an international economic forum in St. Petersburg have
discussed Internet and information security regulation.

< <http://www.interfax.com/newsinf.asp?id=600526>
http://www.interfax.com/newsinf.asp?id=600526>

Ensuring a Strong ICANN Accountability Framework by Alex Deacon

The U.S. Government's decision to transition its legacy role as the
administrator of the IANA functions contract to the global multi-stakeholder
community is an important step in the continued evolution of the Internet.
While the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) supports this
transition, we strongly believe that a comprehensive accountability
framework, developed, agreed to and approved by the multi-stakeholder
community must be in place in advance of finalizing any IANA transition
recommendations.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150618_ensuring_a_strong_icann_accountabili
ty_framework/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150618_ensuring_a_strong_icann_accountabilit
y_framework/>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

A Message from Buenos Aires by Fadi Chehad?

As you know, I have made the difficult decision to leave ICANN in March of
2016. While it was not an easy decision, it was the right one. In keeping
with our shared commitment to clarity and transparency, I would like to take
a moment to share some thoughts behind my decision and reassure you of my
dedication on the road ahead.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/a-message-from-buenos-aires>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/a-message-from-buenos-aires>

Your Guide to IANA Stewardship/Accountability at ICANN 53 by Theresa
Swinehart

Greetings from ICANN 53! If you're focused on following the IANA Stewardship
Transition and Enhancing ICANN Accountability processes here in Buenos Aires
or from your computer at home, I've compiled a quick reference guide of the
meetings that may be of interest to you. Please don't hesitate to join in
the discussions no matter where you are in the world. It's been a gratifying
experience over the past year to see the incredible amount of effort,
thought and work the ICANN community and staff have put into this process
?truly a testament to the strength of the multistakeholder model.

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/your-guide-to-iana-stewardship-accountabili
ty-at-icann-53>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/your-guide-to-iana-stewardship-accountabilit
y-at-icann-53>

Identifier Systems SSR Activities Reporting by John Crain, Dave Piscitello

As part of our continuing commitment to transparency and accountability, the
Identifier Systems SSR department is pleased to publish our activities
report for the first half of 2015 (1H 2015).

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/identifier-systems-ssr-activities-reporting
-834ea389-0f61-41d1-809e-b7a458633b87>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/identifier-systems-ssr-activities-reporting-
834ea389-0f61-41d1-809e-b7a458633b87>

Case Studies

As part of ICANN's global program to raise awareness and interest in all of
the New gTLDs, all New gTLD applicants were invited to partner with ICANN to
develop a case study. These case studies tell the story of a TLD, including
its background and business objectives. They are intended for use as
educational resources and will be updated on an ongoing basis.

< <http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/case-studies>
http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/announcements-and-media/case-studies>

Statement from the CCWG-Accountability after Face-to-Face Meeting in Buenos
Aires

The CCWG-Accountability face-to-face in Buenos Aires was attended in-person
by 49 members and participants, as well as by a number of participants and
observers that joined the meeting remotely using the virtual meeting room. 1
Advisor also participated.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-20-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-06-20-en>

New IANA Functions Resource Published by Elise Gerich, Vice President, IANA
& Technical Operations; David Conrad, Chief Technology Officer

ICANN is pleased to announce a new resource for the community: The IANA
Functions: An Introduction to the IANA Functions.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/new-iana-functions-resource-published>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/new-iana-functions-resource-published>

Welcome to ICANN53! by Rodrigo de la Parra, ICANN Vice-President for Latin
America and the Caribbean

It is an honor for me to welcome you again in our diverse region of Latin
America and the Caribbean. This time I am particularly glad to tell you that
this will be the ICANN meeting with the most regional content ever.
Actually, our regional community has proposed and organized over 10
different activities listed in our LAC Participant Guidebook, which I
encourage you to download to click the links and schedule attendance to the
sessions of your interest.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/welcome-to-icann53>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/welcome-to-icann53>

Coming to Bangkok ? Digital Societies Policy Forum by Low Jia Rong |
Strategies and Initiatives Director, ICANN Asia Pacific

This is the digital age ? and I am thankful for living in it. For one, a key
benefit of this age that I enjoy is that my friends and I no longer need to
"agree to disagree" on trivial but important factual issues over dinner,
such as whether there is a difference between lamb or mutton, or whether
fish drink water, when we can look it up on our smart phones via the 3G
network.

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/coming-to-bangkok-digital-societies-policy-
forum>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/coming-to-bangkok-digital-societies-policy-f
orum>

Letter from J. Randy Forbes Co-Chair and Suzan DelBene Co-Chair, United
States Congressional Trademark Caucus, to Fadi Chehad? and Steve Crocker

.AMAZON

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/forbes-delbene-to-cheh
ade-crocker-19jun15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/forbes-delbene-to-cheha
de-crocker-19jun15-en.pdf>

Letter from Akram Atallah, President, Global Domains Division | ICANN, to
Elisa Cooper

.SUCKS TLD

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-cooper-18ju
n15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/atallah-to-cooper-18jun
15-en.pdf>

ICANN 53 Preview

ICANN 53 is taking place in Buenos Aires, Argentina, June 21-25, 2015. We
anticipate a very full week of policy and operations-related discussions.
Highlights are likely to include:

<
<http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/internet-governance-and-policy/icann-53-p
review>
http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/internet-governance-and-policy/icann-53-pr
eview>

Guide to ICANN53 Available

CENTR has published its regular Guide to the ICANN meeting. The report for
ICANN53 (Buenos Aires) beginning next week covers topics and what to expect
from the meeting particularly related to the ccNSO, GNSO and GAC sessions.

< <https://centr.org/news/06-17-2015/4283/guide-icann53-available>
https://centr.org/news/06-17-2015/4283/guide-icann53-available>

Richard Westlake on the GNSO Review

Richard Westlake (Founder and Managing Director of Westlake Governance)
summarizes the results of the draft GNSO Review.

< <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlstsoVCaM>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlstsoVCaM>

Domain Privacy May Soon Become a Thing of the Past?

If you?ve registered any Web domains for your small business, there?s a
potential privacy policy change of which you should be aware.

< <http://smallbiztrends.com/2015/06/domain-privacy.html>
http://smallbiztrends.com/2015/06/domain-privacy.html>

Seven Key Topics to Track During ICANN 53 in Buenos Aires

The 53rd international meeting of ICANN commences in earnest on Monday, June
22, 2015, in Buenos Aires, Argentina, with some sessions beginning as early
as Saturday, June 20. As always, several high-profile topics have emerged
amidst community discussions leading up to this meeting, all of which are
relevant to established registry operators, new gTLD applicants and brand
owners alike.

<
<http://www.natlawreview.com/article/seven-key-topics-to-track-during-icann-
53-buenos-aires>
http://www.natlawreview.com/article/seven-key-topics-to-track-during-icann-5
3-buenos-aires>

Grogan hopeful of content policing clarity within ?a few weeks?

ICANN may be able to provide registrars, intellectual property interests and
others with clarity about when domain names should be suspended as early as
next month, according to compliance chief Allen Grogan.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18725-grogan-hopeful-of-content-policing-clarity-wi
thin-a-few-weeks>
http://domainincite.com/18725-grogan-hopeful-of-content-policing-clarity-wit
hin-a-few-weeks>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

European ccTLD News Brief (June 2015)

CENTR has published its latest CENTRnews magazine (16th edition). This month
features: PirateBay: Swedish registry acquitted (for now)? by Elisabeth
Ekstrand, Head of Legal and Policy at IIS and CENTR Board Member, Highlights
of the CENTR Jamboree 2015, EU Policy Update & cTLD news highlights and
statistics

<
<https://centr.org/news/cctld/06-16-2015/4276/european-cctld-news-brief-june
-2015>
https://centr.org/news/cctld/06-16-2015/4276/european-cctld-news-brief-june-
2015>

Congratulations to Argentina On DNSSEC-Signing of .AR!

Congratulations to Argentina on becoming the latest country to sign their
ccTLD, with DNSSEC! Today we are very pleased to update our DNSSEC
Deployment Maps and give Argentina a shade of green for .AR!

<
<http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2015/06/congratulations-to-ar
gentina-on-dnssec-signing-of-ar/>
http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2015/06/congratulations-to-arg
entina-on-dnssec-signing-of-ar/>

.BANK Launches With a Bang by Thomas Barrett

The 30-day .BANK Sunrise Period just concluded this week and is notable for
several reasons. The .BANK TLD is highly restricted to members of the
banking industry. The .BANK Registry (which also has rights to .INSURANCE,
launching this fall), was founded by 24 companies and organizations from the
banking and insurance industries, The Registry's founders include industry
leaders such as the American Banking Association, Citigroup, Dollar Bank,
Independent Community Bankers of America, JPMorgan, Visa and Wells Fargo.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150619_dot_bank_tld_launches_with_a_bang/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150619_dot_bank_tld_launches_with_a_bang/>

New .bank domain launches into general availability

The new .bank gTLD will launch into general availability next week,
promising to offer financial institutions and their customers better online
security.

< <http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=27491>
http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=27491>

.BANK Launches into General Availability On 24 June [news release]

.bank will launch into general availability on 24 June at 00:00:00 UTC for
all eligible members of the global banking community. Managed by fTLD
Registry Services, the private company owned, operated and governed by
banks, insurance companies and their respective trade associations, ?.bank?,
is a new communications channel, fortified with enhanced security measures
that exceed those of most existing and new gTLDs . During the initial
sunrise registration period, there were more than 700 applications made for
.bank domains.

<
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/06/19/bank-launches-into-general-availabili
ty-on-24-june/>
http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/06/19/bank-launches-into-general-availabilit
y-on-24-june/>

Internet Registration Association Kicks against Hosting .ng Domain Name
Overseas

The Vice-President, Nigeria Internet Registration Association (NiRA), Mr.
Mohammed Rudman, has kicked against the hosting of .ng which is the
country?s domain name by both local and international registrars abroad
because of the huge capital flight associated with it and the security
challenge that it poses to the country.

<
<http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/internet-registration-association-kicks
-against-hosting-ng-domain-name-overseas/212754/>
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/internet-registration-association-kicks-
against-hosting-ng-domain-name-overseas/212754/>

se: Success for Domain Pirate Campaign

When we launched our personal name campaign last year, we build a counter to
show how many people registered their personal domain through
dom?npirater.se. We put four digits in the counter, but some weeks ago, I
had the pleasure to order an extension of the counter from our web
developers. We have broken the 10,000 wall and the counter continues to tick
upward!

< <https://www.iis.se/english/blog/success-for-domain-pirate-campaign/>
https://www.iis.se/english/blog/success-for-domain-pirate-campaign/>

.sucks made millions from sunrise

Vox Populi could have made over $6 million from defensive registrations
during its sunrise period. The company?s first post-sunrise zone file was
published today, and according to DI PRO it contains 3,394 domains, the vast
majority of which were newly added today.

< <http://domainincite.com/18746-sucks-made-millions-from-sunrise>
http://domainincite.com/18746-sucks-made-millions-from-sunrise>

Want to slam .sucks? You can at dotsucks.sucks

Vox Populi Registry is eating its own dog food and has launched a .sucks
gripe site targeting itself.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18752-want-to-slam-sucks-you-can-at-dotsucks-sucks>
http://domainincite.com/18752-want-to-slam-sucks-you-can-at-dotsucks-sucks>

First .sucks gripe site goes live

Just half a day after the new gTLD became available, the first .sucks sites
have started going live.

< <http://domainincite.com/18749-first-sucks-gripe-site-goes-live>
http://domainincite.com/18749-first-sucks-gripe-site-goes-live>

The world .sucks at a minute past midnight on Sunday

At a minute after midnight on Sunday, UTC time, .sucks domains will go on
sale to anyone who wants one.

<
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/at_last_the_world_sucks_at_a_minute
_past_midnight_on_sunday/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/19/at_last_the_world_sucks_at_a_minute_
past_midnight_on_sunday/>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

What Social Search and New Domain Extensions Could Mean for Start-Ups by
Jennifer Wolfe

Social networking has created its own search language: the #hashtag. Rather
than relying on search engines, people in the social sphere decide what's
hot and throw a hashtag in front of it. If it clicks, more people put that
hashtag in front of it, and then it becomes a trend and a way to search or
get noticed on social networks.

<
<http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2413225/what-social-search-and-new-doma
in-extensions-could-mean-for-start-ups>
http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/2413225/what-social-search-and-new-domai

<http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/opinion/2413704/what-social-search-and-new
-domain-extensions-could-mean-for-start-ups>
http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/opinion/2413704/what-social-search-and-new-
domain-extensions-could-mean-for-start-ups>

New DNA social media site highlights ?in the wild? domains

The Domain Name Association has launched a new web site to show off domains,
primarily new gTLD names, that have been spotted ?in the wild?.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18735-new-dna-social-media-site-highlights-in-the-w
ild-domains>
http://domainincite.com/18735-new-dna-social-media-site-highlights-in-the-wi
ld-domains>

Where are all the GeoTLDs? ? Part 3 ? New York

I can assure that it?s compete coincidence that I?ve visited four cities in
ten days that all have their own city-related TLD. After Melbourne, Paris
(and a quick pit stop back at home in London) I?ve headed to The Big Apple
to see how the new gTLD programme has been embraced by the citizens and
businesses of the five boroughs of New York City.

<
<http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds-part-3-new-y
ork/>
http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds-part-3-new-yo
rk/>

Where are all the GeoTLDs? ? Week 2 ? Paris

After last week?s investigation into the adoption of city-related new gTLDs
in Melbourne I?ve recovered from jet-lag to head to Paris for a few days. As
figures currently stand, dotParis is the ninth biggest GeoTLD with close to
18,000 registrations since it launched over a year ago, giving it a rating
of 0.8 registrations per thousand population (London is at 7.1, Melbourne at
1.2).

<
<http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds-week-2-paris
/>
http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds-week-2-paris/

Where are all the GeoTLDs?

This week I?m down under participating in a conference in Brisbane on the
Gold Coast after spending some time with our colleagues and clients in
Melbourne. It is always interesting when travelling around overseas cities
to see what, if any, new gTLDs are being used. Melbourne, like London and
New York City, has its own domain name now so I?d hoped to find some local
adoption of the new web address.

< <http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds/>
http://www.netnames.com/blog/2015/06/where-are-all-the-geotlds/>

Famous Four following .sucks playbook with premium pricing for brands?

New gTLD registry Famous Four Media has slapped general availability prices
of $500 and up on domain names matching famous brands.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18742-famous-four-following-sucks-playbook-with-pre
mium-pricing-for-brands>
http://domainincite.com/18742-famous-four-following-sucks-playbook-with-prem
ium-pricing-for-brands>

Donuts makes private deal with wine-makers

Donuts inked a private side-deal with wine-making regions in order to launch
the .wine and .vin new gTLDs

< <http://domainincite.com/18739-donuts-makes-private-deal-with-wine-makers>
http://domainincite.com/18739-donuts-makes-private-deal-with-wine-makers>

Good news for NameSentry customers current and new: A more flexible and
lower price, plus automatic upgrades

We are happy to announce additional functionality and a price change to the
NameSentry product suite effective June 17, 2015.

<
<http://architelos.com/good-news-for-namesentrysm-customers-current-and-new-
a-more-flexible-and-lower-price-plus-automatic-upgrades/>
http://architelos.com/good-news-for-namesentrysm-customers-current-and-new-a
-more-flexible-and-lower-price-plus-automatic-upgrades/>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

Understanding the Threat Landscape: Cyber-Attack Actors and Motivations

The threat landscape has rapidly expanded over the past few years, and shows
no signs of contracting. With major establishments in both the public and
private sectors falling victim to cyber-attacks, it is critical for
organizations to identify the motivations, modus operandi (MO) and
objectives of adversaries in order to adequately and effectively defend
their networks.

<
<http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/understanding_the_threat_landscape_
cyber>
http://blogs.verisigninc.com/blog/entry/understanding_the_threat_landscape_c
yber>

So Long, and Thanks for All the Domains

While Trojans like Dyre and Dridex are dominating malware-related news, we
take the time to have a closer look at Tinba (Tiny Banker, Zusy, Illi), yet
another Trojan which targets Windows users. In the first part of this post,
we give a short historical review, followed by hints about how to detect
(and remove) this threat on an infected system. In the second part, we have
a look at a portion of the Trojan?s code which enhances its communication
resilience, and how we can leverage these properties for defensive purposes.

<
<http://securityblog.switch.ch/2015/06/18/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-dom
ains/>
http://securityblog.switch.ch/2015/06/18/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-doma
ins/>

This terrifying chart explains why cybersecurity is such a big problem for
the government

The massive breach of Office of Personnel Management systems that
compromised the personal data of millions of Americans is still making
headlines. But behind those headlines is a much bigger story about the
government's systematic failure to protect itself from cybersecurity risks
that have expanded at an alarming rate.

<
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/18/this-terrifyin
g-chart-explains-why-cybersecurity-is-such-a-big-problem-for-the-government/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/18/this-terrifying
-chart-explains-why-cybersecurity-is-such-a-big-problem-for-the-government/>

Network Layer DDoS Attacks Can Cost Victims $40K Per Hour: Report

While over 70 percent of network layer attacks lasted less than three hours,
more than one in five lasts longer than five days. Incapsula says that with
a cost of $40,000 per hour, these attacks often cost businesses millions of
dollars.

<
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/network-layer-ddos-attacks-can-cost
-targets-40k-per-hour-report>
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/network-layer-ddos-attacks-can-cost-
targets-40k-per-hour-report>

?Security is achieving more and more general awareness?

With the ?Internet Security Evening?, eco has created a pre-event series
which illuminates the subject of IT security from a range of perspectives,
in advance of the Internet Security Days. Cornelia Schildt, Project Manager
for IT Security, takes care of the content organization, and reveals in this
short interview what highlights participants can look forward to this year.

<
<https://international.eco.de/2015/news/security-is-achieving-more-and-more-
general-awareness.html>
https://international.eco.de/2015/news/security-is-achieving-more-and-more-g
eneral-awareness.html>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Cheap domain names are spammers? favorites

Spammers churn through a lot of domain names. As soon as deliverability
sinks with one, they move on to the next.

<
<http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/19/cheap-domain-names-are-spammers-favori
tes/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/06/19/cheap-domain-names-are-spammers-favorit
es/>

WordPress Foundation Files Lawsuit Against Owner of Multiple WordPress
Domain Names

WordPress Foundation, the non-profit behind the WordPress open source
project, has sued the owner of several domains that allegedly infringe on
its trademarks.

<
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/wordpress-foundation-files-lawsuit-
against-owner-of-multiple-wordpress-domain-names>
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/wordpress-foundation-files-lawsuit-a
gainst-owner-of-multiple-wordpress-domain-names>

IKEA Wins in pimpmyikea.com and Thirty Other Domain Name Challenges

Ikea Systems BV of the Netherlands filed with the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO) for the transfer of multiple domain names
registered by Michael Herman, an individual located in North Carolina. These
domains included names such as custom4ikea.com, ikeaaftermarketparts.com,
ideaikea.com, pimpmyikea.com, ikeaaftermarket.com, etc.

<
<http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/ikea-wins-in-pimpmyikea-com-and-thirty-988
20/>
http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/ikea-wins-in-pimpmyikea-com-and-thirty-9882
0/>

**********************

- IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Three years since World IPv6 Launch: strong IPv6 growth continues

It is now three years since World IPv6 Launch, and solid growth in global
IPv6 adoption continues at a steady pace. With over 17% of the country's
end-users actively using IPv6, the United States continues to be a dominant
force in IPv6 traffic levels and adoption, with the top three U.S. broadband
operators and all four of the top U.S. mobile operators actively rolling out
IPv6 to their end-users. Other countries including Germany, Belgium, Japan,
and Peru continue to have solid IPv6 traffic growth, and network operators
in additional countries including Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Portugal, Estonia,
and Greece have started large-scale IPv6 deployments to end-users.

<
<https://blogs.akamai.com/2015/06/three-years-since-world-ipv6-launch-strong
-ipv6-growth-continues.html>
https://blogs.akamai.com/2015/06/three-years-since-world-ipv6-launch-strong-
ipv6-growth-continues.html>

An Update on IPv6

In the coming weeks another Regional Internet Registry will reach into its
inventory of available IPv4 addresses to hand out and it will find that
there is nothing left. This is by no means a surprise, and the depletion of
IPv4 addresses in the Internet could be seen as one of the longest slow
motion train wrecks in history.

< <http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-06/ipv6.html>
http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2015-06/ipv6.html>

Be the Voice of IPv6 in the Media

Are you interested in joining media efforts with ARIN when the IPv4 waiting
list for unmet requests is activated? We are seeking service providers that
offer IPv6 services and who would be interested in being involved in media
relations surrounding ARIN's IPv4 depletion.

< <https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150616.html>
https://www.arin.net/announcements/2015/20150616.html>

Finnish IPv6 Launch Event on 8 June in Helsinki, Finland

On Tuesday, 8 June 2015, Viestint?virasto, the Finnish telecommunications
regulator, hosted a seminar on the launch of IPv6 in Finland. Emile Aben and
Marco Hogewoning both attended the meeting on behalf of the RIPE NCC.

<
<https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/industry-developments/finnish-ipv6-l
aunch-event-on-8-june-in-helsinki-finland>
https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/industry-developments/finnish-ipv6-la
unch-event-on-8-june-in-helsinki-finland>

Caribbean moving to IPv6
slowly

In the Caribbean, we routinely use our smartphones, tablets, laptops and
other connected devices for work, play and everything in-between.

< <http://spiceislander.com/?p=12767> http://spiceislander.com/?p=12767>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Oops! Heinz Lets Competition Domain Lapse And QR Code Directs to Porn Site

Heinz, the global food company, let a domain name lapse used in conjunction
with a QR code for a competition in Germany. And subsequently the domain was
registered by a German adult website.

<
<http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/06/19/oops-heinz-lets-competition-domain-la
pse/>
http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/06/19/oops-heinz-lets-competition-domain-lap
se/>

< <http://www.goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23943>
http://www.goldsteinreport.com/article.php?article=23943>

Heinz says sorry for ketchup QR code that links to porn site

Heinz has apologised to a German customer after a QR code on one of its
tomato ketchup bottles linked to a porn site. ... The QR code linked to a
URL used for the ?Spread the word with Heinz? competition between 2012 and
2014. Heinz allowed the domain name ?sagsmithheinz.de? to lapse after the
competition closed, which was subsequently purchased by a purveyor of german
adult entertainment.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/19/heinz-ketchup-qr-code-lin
ks-porn>
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/19/heinz-ketchup-qr-code-link
s-porn>

Heinz QR porn code too saucy for ketchup customer

The food company Heinz has apologised after a QR code on a bottle of tomato
ketchup directed people to a pornography website.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33200142>
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33200142>

Universal Acceptance Still Has A Long Way To Go

?Universal Acceptance? is one of those terms you hear a lot when you attend
ICANN meetings. In simple terms the idea is that all domain names, be they
IDN or ASCII, no matter how long they are, should ?work?. When we say ?work?
what I mean is in relation to daily use.

<
<http://www.internetnews.me/2015/06/17/universal-acceptance-still-has-a-long
-way-to-go/>
http://www.internetnews.me/2015/06/17/universal-acceptance-still-has-a-long-
way-to-go/>

Three Things TLD Registries Must Know About China's Domain Name Regulation
by Jian-Chuan Chang

Recently there have been a number of news reports/articles that are
incorrect or misleading in interpreting China's domain name management
policy. James has posted an article aiming to clarify what is going to in
China's domain name market. Considering the potential negative impact of
those reports on the participants of this market, I supplement James's post
by pointing out three things, which I believe critical for any TLD
registries that hope to have a better understand of China's domain name
regulation and the special action based on it.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150618_things_tld_registries_must_know_abou
t_china_domain_name_regulation/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150618_things_tld_registries_must_know_about
_china_domain_name_regulation/>

EFF, CloudFlare Ask Federal Court Not To Force Internet Companies To Enforce
Music Labels? Trademarks

This month, CloudFlare and EFF pushed back against major music labels?
latest strategy to force Internet infrastructure companies like CloudFlare
to become trademark and copyright enforcers, by challenging a broad court
order that the labels obtained in secret. Unfortunately, the court denied
CloudFlare?s challenge and ruled that the secretly-obtained order applied to
CloudFlare. This decision, and the strategy that led to it, present a
serious problem for Internet infrastructure companies of all sorts, and for
Internet users, because they lay out a blueprint for quick, easy,
potentially long-lasting censorship of expressive websites with little or no
court review. The fight?s not over for CloudFlare, though. Yesterday,
CloudFlare filed a motion with the federal court in Manhattan, asking Judge
Alison J. Nathan to modify the order and put the responsibility of
identifying infringing domain names back on the music labels.

<
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/eff-cloudflare-ask-federal-court-not-
force-internet-companies-enforce-music-labels>
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/eff-cloudflare-ask-federal-court-not-f
orce-internet-companies-enforce-music-labels>

Pirate Bay Domains No Longer Accessible Through ?WWW?

The Pirate Bay has dropped the www prefix for all of its domains. The
changes occurred earlier this week and were made without a redirect, which
is causing some visitors to believe that the site is currently offline.

<
<http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-domains-no-longer-accessible-through-www
-150618/>
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-domains-no-longer-accessible-through-www-
150618/>

How to assess the registrar network performance?

The June 2015 edition of the Afnic Industry Report on Domain Names proposes
indicators to measure registrar performance since the introduction of new
TLDs.

<
<http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9161/show/how-to-asses
s-the-registrar-network-performance-1.html>
http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9161/show/how-to-assess
-the-registrar-network-performance-1.html>

Beware of increasing use of confusing domain names for brand impersonation
and fraud [registration]

The recent '.ca' domain name arbitration decision in Fluor Corporation v
Fluor Curling (CDRP Dispute No 0281) highlights the growing problem of
confusing domain names being registered and used to send emails
impersonating businesses. Companies should be aware of this risk and the
remedies available to address such issues when they arise.

<
<http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/Daily/Detail.aspx?g=ca4c0ce2-88ec-4f09-
b9fd-d858e1939957>
http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/Daily/Detail.aspx?g=ca4c0ce2-88ec-4f09-b
9fd-d858e1939957>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

The 3-Letter .Com Beat Goes On - They Bag 11 of the Top 20 Spots on Our
Latest Sales Chart

I'm back from a vacation break and little has changed on the domain sales
front since I left - 3-letter .coms are still ruling the roost. 11 of the
top 20 sales on our latest all extension chart are 3-letter .coms including
five of the top seven entries.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150617.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150617.htm>

**********************

INTERNET USE

**********************

E-commerce tops $260bn mark as more businesses log on

Australia?s love affair with e-commerce is blossoming, with local businesses
earning a record $267 billion from internet sales in 2013-14, according to a
new report from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

<
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/e-commerce-tops-260bn-ma
rk-as-more-businesses-log-on/story-fn91v9q3-1227404775859>
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/e-commerce-tops-260bn-mar
k-as-more-businesses-log-on/story-fn91v9q3-1227404775859>

*********************************

CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY

*********************************

Google to exclude 'revenge porn' from internet searches

Google plans to exclude ?revenge porn? from its internet searches in future,
limiting the spread of unauthorised nude or sexually explicit photos and
videos posted on websites by spurned ex-partners without the subject?s
consent.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/20/google-excludes-revenge-p
orn-internet-searches>
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/20/google-excludes-revenge-po
rn-internet-searches>

**********************

ONLINE TV, MUSIC & PIRACY

**********************

Why the music industry is fighting the wrong copyright battle

We all know that it?s possible to share books, CDs and mixtapes, pull them
apart, or transfer them to different environments. Their digital
equivalents, however, are not so free.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/19/why-music-industry-fighti
ng-wrong-copyright-battle>
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/19/why-music-industry-fightin
g-wrong-copyright-battle>

Pirate Bay's Peter Sunde says Australia's proposed website blocking scheme
won't deter downloaders

The co-founder of one of the world's most popular file-sharing websites says
the Government's proposed legislation to block overseas web services that
breach copyright will not deter illegal downloading.

<
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-19/pirate-bay-cofounder-mocks-proposed-w
ebsite-blocking-legislation/6559288>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-19/pirate-bay-cofounder-mocks-proposed-we
bsite-blocking-legislation/6559288>

au: Dallas Buyers Club: plan to ask suspected pirates to reveal incomes

Almost 5,000 Australians accused of illegally downloading the movie Dallas
Buyers Club would be asked to reveal their incomes under a Hollywood
producer?s plan to seek compensation for piracy.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/19/dallas-buyers-club-plan-to-ask-
suspected-pirates-to-reveal-incomes>
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jun/19/dallas-buyers-club-plan-to-ask-s
uspected-pirates-to-reveal-incomes>

Dallas Buyers Club pirates to be asked about income, disabilities

The letter to be sent to alleged pirates of the film Dallas Buyers Club has
been leaked, and includes questions around the pirates? income and what
other titles they have downloaded.

<
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/dallas-buyers-club-pira
tes-to-be-asked-about-income-disabilities/story-e6frgakx-1227406372707>
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/technology/dallas-buyers-club-pirat
es-to-be-asked-about-income-disabilities/story-e6frgakx-1227406372707>

The problems with Dallas Buyers Club 'settle or face large fines' letters

Lawyers for Dallas Buyers Club LLC were back in court last week, as part of
the continuation of their pursuit of Australians who they allege have
downloaded the Dallas Buyers Club movie illicitly. The proceedings concerned
the letter that the lawyers acting for the film's producer Voltage Pictures
want to send to the 4726 customers who have been identified by their
respective internet service providers.

<
<http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/the-problems
-with-dallas-buyers-club-settle-or-face-large-fines-letters-20150621-ghu0dh.
html>
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/the-problems-
with-dallas-buyers-club-settle-or-face-large-fines-letters-20150621-ghu0dh.h
tml>

**********************

MOBILE/WIRELESS

**********************

ITU defines vision and roadmap for 5G mobile development

ITU has established the overall roadmap for the development of 5G mobile and
defined the term it will apply to it as ?IMT-2020?.

< <http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/27.aspx>
http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/27.aspx>

**********************

PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE

**********************

Metadata: Australians? phone and internet details accessed 334,658 times in
2013-14

Government departments, agencies and councils accessed metadata from
Australians? phone calls and internet use 334,658 times in 2013-14,
according to the the Telecommunications (Interceptions and Access) Act
annual report.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jun/19/metadata-australians-p
hone-and-internet-details-accessed-334658-times-in-2013-14>
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jun/19/metadata-australians-ph
one-and-internet-details-accessed-334658-times-in-2013-14>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & POLICY

**************************

Australian Lawmakers Rush Through Copyright Censorship Bill That Won't Work,
And Will Do Harm

Scarcely a week after the release of a legislative committee report on
Australia's copyright censorship bill, the bill is gathering speed on its
roll through Parliament. Although reports that the law has already passed
are premature?it has only passed the lower house so far, and is scheduled to
be debated in the Senate on Thursday, Australian time?it is clear that the
bill is being rushed through, in an effort to get it out of the way ahead of
the Parliament's mid-winter break.

<
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/australian-lawmakers-rush-through-cop
yright-censorship-bill-wont-work-and-will-do>
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/06/australian-lawmakers-rush-through-copy
right-censorship-bill-wont-work-and-will-do>

**********************

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

**********************

Microsoft, Google, Mozilla team to build a faster Web [IDG]

Web apps and pages may soon get a speed boost to rival the performance of
native desktop and mobile applications, thanks to a new standards initiative
from Microsoft, Google and Mozilla.

<
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/577844/microsoft-google-mozilla-team
-build-faster-web/>
http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/577844/microsoft-google-mozilla-team-
build-faster-web/>

<
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/577844/microsoft-google-mozilla-tea
m-build-faster-web/>
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/577844/microsoft-google-mozilla-team
-build-faster-web/>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery