[DNS] auDA domain news - 20 July

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 14:17:18 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

ICANN Accountability Deficits Revealed in Panel Ruling on .AFRICA

<
<http://www.ipjustice.org/internet-governance/icann-accountability-deficits-
revealed-in-panel-ruling-on-africa/>
http://www.ipjustice.org/internet-governance/icann-accountability-deficits-r
evealed-in-panel-ruling-on-africa/>

Having been slammed and embarrassed, ICANN tells the world: We've done nowt
wrong

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/icann_africa_latest/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/icann_africa_latest/>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

Will 2016 Politics Trump Bipartisan Support for the MSM and DOTCOM Act? by
Philip S. Corwin

The bitter partisan divide that characterizes so many of official
Washington's current policy discussions was conspicuous in its absence at
the July 8th hearing held on "Internet Governance Progress After ICANN 53"
by the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on Communications
and Technology. In opening remarks that asked "What is the multi-stakeholder
community, anyway?", Subcommittee Chairman Greg Waldren went on to declare
that he and his colleagues "sought to strike the right balance between
supporting the multi-stakeholder model of Internet governance, while still
protecting the invaluable tool of communications and commerce the Internet
has become".

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150716_will_2016_politics_trump_bipartisan_
support_for_msm_and_dotcom_act/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150716_will_2016_politics_trump_bipartisan_s
upport_for_msm_and_dotcom_act/>

Report: 53rd ICANN Meeting

The focus of the 53rd ICANN conference, which took place from 22-25 June in
Buenos Aires, was again the discussion on the ?IANA Stewardship Transition?.

< <https://international.eco.de/2015/news/report-53rd-icann-meeting.html>
https://international.eco.de/2015/news/report-53rd-icann-meeting.html>

US applauds India's multi-stakeholder approach on internet [PTI]

The US has applauded India's recent support for multi-stakeholder approach
on internet, saying the decision is critical for ensuring the vitality of
the world wide web.

<
<http://www.ptinews.com/news/6271284_US-applauds-India-s-multi-stakeholder-a
pproach-on-Internet-.html>
http://www.ptinews.com/news/6271284_US-applauds-India-s-multi-stakeholder-ap
proach-on-Internet-.html>

<
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/US-applauds-Indias-multi-
stakeholder-approach-on-Internet/articleshow/48123720.cms>
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/US-applauds-Indias-multi-s
takeholder-approach-on-Internet/articleshow/48123720.cms>

7th BRICS Summit?s Take on Internet Governance

India made headlines at ICANN?s 53rd Public Meeting in June with its
advocacy for the multistakeholder model of policymaking.

<
<http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/internet-governance-and-policy/brics-summ
it-on-internet-governance>
http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/internet-governance-and-policy/brics-summi
t-on-internet-governance>

ICANN accountability, IANA stewardship - what's at stake? by Jordan Carter

These words together have deep meaning to many of those who participate in
or follow global Internet governance. They are also, to be honest,
meaningless mumbo-jumbo the vast majority of Internet users. What?s it all
about, and should you care at all?

<
<https://internetnz.nz/blog/icann-accountability-iana-stewardship-whats-stak
e>
https://internetnz.nz/blog/icann-accountability-iana-stewardship-whats-stake

Three key issues for ICANN's Accountability Working Group by Jordan Carter

In a separate post I?ve set out an update of what is at stake in the debate
about the IANA stewardship transition and the ICANN accountability
discussion.

<
<https://internetnz.nz/blog/three-key-issues-icanns-accountability-working-g
roup>
https://internetnz.nz/blog/three-key-issues-icanns-accountability-working-gr
oup>

Remarks of Assistant Secretary Strickling at the Internet Governance Forum
USA 07/16/2015: Remarks of Lawrence E. Strickling

Thank you, Shane, for the introduction. I also want to thank the U.S. IGF
Multistakeholder Advisory Planning Committee for planning this event and
George Washington University for hosting. I have enjoyed having the
opportunity to speak at each of these IGF-USA events since they started back
in 2009.

<
<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-st
rickling-internet-governance-forum-usa-07162015>
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-str
ickling-internet-governance-forum-usa-07162015>

IGF: Worry over poor participation of African business leaders

While other developed countries are actively participating in the internet
governance, poor participation of business leaders from Nigeria and the rest
of the African continent is worrying stakeholders in the African Information
Communication Technology ecosystem.

<
<http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/igf-worry-over-poor-participation-of-afr
ican-business-leaders/>
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/igf-worry-over-poor-participation-of-afri
can-business-leaders/>

**********************

DOMAIN NAMES

**********************

**********************

- ICANN

**********************

ICANN to Resume Evaluation of DotConnectAfrica Trust Application for .AFRICA

ICANN today announced it will resume evaluation of DotConnectAfrica Trust's
application for the .AFRICA new gTLD.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-16-en>
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-16-en>

The CCWG: From Buenos Aires to Paris to Dublin by Steve Crocker

The community has been putting in an enormous amount of work on the
Transition proposals. The CWG on Stewardship of the Names completed its
proposal and forwarded it to the ICG for coordination with the proposals
from the Numbers community and from the IETF. Stellar work all around and
kudos to everyone! The ICG now has the important work of reconciling the
three proposals, putting out the proposal meeting the criteria set out by
NTIA for public comment, and finalizing it for submission to the ICANN board
to transmit to NTIA.

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-ccwg-from-buenos-aires-to-paris-to-dubl
in>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/the-ccwg-from-buenos-aires-to-paris-to-dubli
n>

Additional Coordination Through New Transition Facilitation Calls by Theresa
Swinehart

One of the words most often heard during the IANA Stewardship Transition and
Enhancing ICANN Accountability processes has been coordination ?
coordination amongst communities, coordination amongst members and
participants of working groups, coordination amongst community and staff
members.

<
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/additional-coordination-through-new-transit
ion-facilitation-calls>
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/additional-coordination-through-new-transiti
on-facilitation-calls>

Letter from Thomas Schneider, Chair | Government Advisory Committee, to
Akram Atallah

Two-Character Codes as Second Level Domains

<
<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/schneider-to-atallah-1
6jul15-en.pdf>
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/schneider-to-atallah-16
jul15-en.pdf>

ICANN Accountability Deficits Revealed in Panel Ruling on .AFRICA

In an important test of ICANN?s primary accountability mechanism, its
Independent Review Process (IRP), the organization has been handed a
stinging blow over its mishandling of the bid for the new gTLD .AFRICA.

<
<http://www.ipjustice.org/internet-governance/icann-accountability-deficits-
revealed-in-panel-ruling-on-africa/>
http://www.ipjustice.org/internet-governance/icann-accountability-deficits-r
evealed-in-panel-ruling-on-africa/>

ICANN 53: Accountability, Brand Policy & New Round of New gTLDs

In June, MarkMonitor joined our colleagues once again at ICANN's 53rd public
meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Several high-profile and contentious
issues were on the agenda, many of which have significant impact on the
interests of intellectual property and brand owners.

<
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/icann-53-accountability-brand-policy-new
-round-of-new-gtlds/>
https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/icann-53-accountability-brand-policy-new-
round-of-new-gtlds/>

Rage Against the ICANN Machine by St?phane Van Gelder

I'm going to do what no professional journalist should ever do: take a story
at face value. So full disclosure: I have not checked the facts behind the
story that sparked this little rant I'm about to embark on. But I've known
the author for a number of years as being a consummate professional when it
comes to reporting facts. And I've known ICANN, the organisation, for even
longer. I have therefore seen first hand the organisation's ability to be at
times borderline duplicitous in its attempts to reach a desired result.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150717_rage_against_the_icann_machine/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150717_rage_against_the_icann_machine/>

Public Revolts Against Plan to Kill Domain Name Privacy

More than 11,000 people are protesting a proposal which may ban private
domain name registrations for millions of websites. The changes would make
it easier to identify owners of pirate sites, but the commenters warn that
this may have disastrous consequences.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/public-revolts-against-plan-to-kill-domain-name-pr
ivacy-150717/>
https://torrentfreak.com/public-revolts-against-plan-to-kill-domain-name-pri
vacy-150717/>

Having been slammed and embarrassed, ICANN tells the world: We've done nowt
wrong

Last week, a group of retired judges slammed domain-name overseer ICANN for
breaking its own bylaws by having failed to "act fairly, neutrally [and]
non-discriminatorily" in a dispute over the .africa TLD.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/icann_africa_latest/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16/icann_africa_latest/>

**********************

- ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

DCA?s .africa bid officially unrejected by ICANN

ICANN?s board of directors has un-rejected DotConnectAfrica?s application
for the new gTLD .africa.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18976-breaking-dcas-africa-bid-officially-unrejecte
d-by-icann>
http://domainincite.com/18976-breaking-dcas-africa-bid-officially-unrejected
-by-icann>

ICANN execs helped African Union win .africa ? report

Top ICANN executives helped the African Union Commission win the .africa
gTLD on behalf of its selected registry, according to a report.

<
<http://domainincite.com/18970-icann-execs-helped-african-union-win-africa-r
eport>
http://domainincite.com/18970-icann-execs-helped-african-union-win-africa-re
port>

Read that controversial .africa letter

Did the African Union Commission really use a letter written by ICANN to
express its support for ZA Central Registry?s .africa bid?

< <http://domainincite.com/18982-read-that-controversial-africa-letter>
http://domainincite.com/18982-read-that-controversial-africa-letter>

.be stands for quality

No one is better placed than the user himself to explain why s/he opts for a
certain extension. It is the turn of a .be extension for the fifth domain
name of the week: lag.be.

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/be-stands-quality>
http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/be-stands-quality>

JPRS to Launch a Joint Research Project with ISPs to Create a More
Fault-Tolerant DNS Environment

Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd. today announced that it will launch a
joint research project with ISPs in October 2015, under the subject of which
to strengthen fault-tolerance mechanisms of the domain name system (DNS) for
the new gTLD ".jprs," which has been established by JPRS for the purpose of
research and development in relation to the Internet.

< <http://jprs.co.jp/en/press/2015/150713.html>
http://jprs.co.jp/en/press/2015/150713.html>

Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart. Thursday doesn't even start. Friday I'm
in .love

Today, Friday, sees the launch of one of the more interesting new internet
TLDs that has been approved by ICANN: .love.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/friday_im_in_love/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/friday_im_in_love/>

nl: New The.nlyst out now

?We now manage about 650,000 domain names. By 2023, we aim to get that up to
more than 25 million and establish ourselves as number two in the world.
That implies growing faster than the market, which is only possible if we
grow internationally,? said Arno Vis of Openprovider in an interview for
this edition of The.nlyst.

< <https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/new-thenlyst-out-now>
https://www.sidn.nl/a/knowledge-and-development/new-thenlyst-out-now>

One year in: lessons from .rocks by Tony Kirsch

This is the third in a series of interviews I conducted with notable TLD
applicants approaching one year of operations. In this article, I spoke with
Statton Hammock of Rightside about how the .rocks TLD is finding its place
in the market. You can also read my interviews with .luxury and
.photography.

< <http://www.ariservices.com/blog/one-year-in-lessons-from-rocks/>
http://www.ariservices.com/blog/one-year-in-lessons-from-rocks/>

se: To boldly go where no EPP extension has gone before

In June this year, we at IIS arranged a workshop about managing the
proliferation of EPP extensions, with members from the registrar community
and also registry operators. This is a short recap of what was said ? and
some suggestions on which direction we should take in the future.

<
<https://www.iis.se/se-tech/to-boldly-go-where-no-epp-extension-has-gone-bef
ore/>
https://www.iis.se/se-tech/to-boldly-go-where-no-epp-extension-has-gone-befo
re/>

so: Migration

On July 8th 2015, the .so ccTLD registry has been migrated to the Somali
Network Information Center (SONIC).

< <http://soregistry.so/2015/07/15/migration/>
http://soregistry.so/2015/07/15/migration/>

TLD Profile: .Vote

The new .vote gTLD is a joint venture between Afilias and two investors
based in Utah, creating Monolith Registry. Its mission is to create a
segment of the internet that provides reliable political and voter
information. This venture includes .voto, which is the
Spanish/Italian/Portuguese word for vote.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/07/16/tld-profile-vote/>
http://domainnamewire.com/2015/07/16/tld-profile-vote/>

**********************

- NEW TLDS

**********************

BNP Paribas makes ?dot brand? switch

French bank BNP Paribas has launched a new ?dot brand? domain name after
moving away from its .fr and .net TLDs.

<
<http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/bnp-paribas-makes-dot-brand-s
witch-4427>
http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/bnp-paribas-makes-dot-brand-sw
itch-4427>

**********************

- DNS SECURITY

**********************

The Deep Web and the Darknet ? The Nether Regions of the Internet

By now, you?ve likely heard about the Deep Web and the Darknet ? but what
are they, and should brand owners be concerned about monitoring and
enforcing on the nether regions of the Internet?

<
<https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/the-deep-web-and-the-darknet-the-nether-
regions-of-the-internet/>
https://www.markmonitor.com/mmblog/the-deep-web-and-the-darknet-the-nether-r
egions-of-the-internet/>

Why you need to care more about DNS

There?s one key part of your network infrastructure that you?re probably not
monitoring, even though it keeps you connected, can tell you a lot about
what?s happening inside your business ? and is an increasing source of
attacks. DNS isn?t just for domain names any more.

<
<http://www.cio.com/article/2948378/security/why-you-need-to-care-more-about
-dns.html>
http://www.cio.com/article/2948378/security/why-you-need-to-care-more-about-
dns.html>

The Darkode Cybercrime Forum, Up Close

By now, many of you loyal KrebsOnSecurity readers have seen stories in the
mainstream press about the coordinated global law enforcement takedown of
Darkode[dot]me, an English-language cybercrime forum that served as a
breeding ground for botnets, malware and just about every other form of
virtual badness. This post is an attempt to distill several years? worth of
lurking on this forum into a narrative that hopefully sheds light on the
individuals apprehended in this sting and the cybercrime forum scene in
general.

<
<http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/the-darkode-cybercrime-forum-up-close/>
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/the-darkode-cybercrime-forum-up-close/>

Darkode Shut Down, Members Arrested by Law Enforcement Agencies

Lizard Squad may have to write its own code after a huge international
crackdown on cybercrime site Darkode and its users by law enforcement
agencies. Darkode now displays a takedown notice with the seals of over a
dozen different international law enforcement groups, including the FBI and
Europol.

<
<http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/darkode-shut-down-members-arrested-
by-law-enforcement-agencies>
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/darkode-shut-down-members-arrested-b
y-law-enforcement-agencies>

Darkode Shuttered But Cybercrime Still Alive And Well

Major international law enforcement takedown of exclusive criminal hacker
forum highlights victory -- and challenges -- of global law enforcement of
cybercrime.

<
<http://www.darkreading.com/cloud/darkode-shuttered-but-cybercrime-still-ali
ve-and-well--/d/d-id/1321359>
http://www.darkreading.com/cloud/darkode-shuttered-but-cybercrime-still-aliv
e-and-well--/d/d-id/1321359>

Cybercriminal Darkode forum taken down through global action

This week, law enforcement and judicial authorities worldwide have taken
down the most prolific English-speaking cybercriminal forum to date:
Darkode. In an international coordinated action against the hacking forum
and its users, investigators from all over the world targeted cybercriminals
that were using the Darkode forum to trade and barter their hacking
expertise, malware and botnets, and to find partners for their next spam
runs or malware attacks.

<
<https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/cybercriminal-darkode-forum-taken-dow
n-through-global-action>
https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/cybercriminal-darkode-forum-taken-down
-through-global-action>

Cyber-security's dirty little secret: It's not as bad as you think

New research from the Global Commission on Internet Governance has reached a
surprising conclusion: cyberspace is actually getting safer.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/18/cybersecurity_report/>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/18/cybersecurity_report/>

In the nascent "internet of things", security is the last thing on people's
minds

Barbie has come a long way since Mattel, a big American toy firm, launched
the plastic doll in 1959. If children wanted to give the original version a
voice, they had to provide it themselves. The latest Barbie, unveiled at the
New York Toy Fair in February, can do better. A built-in chip lets the doll
listen as children address her. A wireless connection then sends what has
been said off to other, beefier computers in a data centre somewhere, whose
job is to interpret it and come up with an apt rejoinder. ?Welcome to New
York, Barbie,? says a Mattel employee in a demonstration video. ?I love New
York, don?t you?? responds the doll. ?What?s your favourite part about the
city? The food, the fashion, the sights or the brothels??

<
<http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21657766-nascent-inter
net-things-security-last-thing-peoples>
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21657766-nascent-intern
et-things-security-last-thing-peoples>

**********************

- DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Judge Throws Out Cybersquatting Claims For 16 Year Old Domain

In what has to be one of the best court transcripts about a domain name I?ve
read, Judge Lewis Kaplan essentially eviscerated the attorney for Office
Space Solutions, a company that was attempting to sue programmer Jason Kneen
on the grounds of ?warehousing? a domain for 16 years.

<
<http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/16/judge-throws-out-cybersquatting-claims-for
-16-year-old-domain/>
http://techcrunch.com/2015/07/16/judge-throws-out-cybersquatting-claims-for-
16-year-old-domain/>

Popcorn Time Taken Down By Domain Name Seizure

The most popular Popcorn Time fork has lost control of its domain name.
Popcorntime.io was seized by the registry and the domain name is now listed
as "reserved". At first sight the application itself appears not to be
affected by the domain name problems.

<
<https://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-taken-down-by-domain-name-seizure-150
716/>
https://torrentfreak.com/popcorn-time-taken-down-by-domain-name-seizure-1507
16/>

UDRP Spotlight: UDRP Decisions Citing Bad Faith

For those following the politics of both medical and fully legalized
marijuana, 2013 and 2014 were years of tectonic change. On New Years Day of
2014, the U.S. state of Colorado decriminalized the sale and consumption of
limited quantities of the plant; this resulted in worldwide publicity and an
influx of millions of dollars to the state?s economy.

<
<http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/udrp-decisions-citing-bad-fa
ith>
http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/udrp-and-urs/udrp-decisions-citing-bad-fai
th>

Read all about it: BuzzFeed wins UDRP dispute

Online social news service BuzzFeed has successfully transferred a domain
name containing its trademark after it was registered in bad faith.

<
<http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/read-all-about-it-buzzfeed-wi
ns-udrp-dispute-4429>
http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/read-all-about-it-buzzfeed-win
s-udrp-dispute-4429>

Citigroup defeats phishing website in domain dispute

Financial services company Citigroup has successfully ordered the transfer
of a domain name that linked to a web page claiming to be a BBC news article
providing access to cheap iPhones.

<
<http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/citigroup-defeats-phishing-we
bsite-in-domain-dispute-4426>
http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/citigroup-defeats-phishing-web
site-in-domain-dispute-4426>

**********************

- MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

DeviceAtlas Granted Patent on Device Detection Accuracy Method

DeviceAtlas maker Afilias Technologies today announced that it has been
granted US patent number 9,043,289 B2 on a new method for deriving the most
accurate device identification results from multiple data sources. Accurate
device identification is critical to organizations looking to enhance web
analytics, user experience, and ad targeting.

<
<http://www.afilias.info/news/2015/07/08/deviceatlas-granted-patent-device-d
etection-accuracy-method>
http://www.afilias.info/news/2015/07/08/deviceatlas-granted-patent-device-de
tection-accuracy-method>

The times, they are a?changing... by Don Hollander.

The domain name space is changing ? both globally and within New Zealand ?
and we?re not keeping up. For years the domain name space consisted of two
or three character TLDs names ? the name to the right of the last dot. This
changed a little bit in 2001. But, in 2010 the name space started changing
dramatically with the introduction of TLDs in Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese
(traditional and simplified) and many more. And in 2013, a huge number of
new names started getting introduced ? both ASCII and non-ASCII. And the
pace continues at a rate of about one new TLD every working day entering the
Root.

< <https://internetnz.nz/blog/guest-post-times-they-are-a?changing

https://internetnz.nz/blog/guest-post-times-they-are-a?changing

Can Melbourne IT do it all over again?

The ability to reinvent itself is the key for any technology company to
increasing profits and arguably no company is pedalling harder than
Melbourne IT.

<
<http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wealth/can-melbourne-it-do-it-all-
over-again/story-e6frgac6-1227446153405>
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wealth/can-melbourne-it-do-it-all-o
ver-again/story-e6frgac6-1227446153405>

au/nz: Larry Kestelman looks to expanded digital services for new-look NBL

The NBL is expanding its online operations ahead of next season. ... The NBL
has purchased the domain names basketball.com.au and basketball.co.nz along
with nbl.net.au, nbl.org.au and bball.com.au with the league working to
build a new website for the basketball.com.au and a new league website. The
new domain names will lead to a portal with news and features on the NBA and
other world competitions alongside the league's own NBL coverage, with
Kestelman believing Australian and New Zealand NBA supporters could be drawn
into consuming the NBL if exposed to his league.

<
<http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/larry-kestelman-looks-to-expanded-di
gital-services-for-newlook-nbl-20150717-gif0gq.html>
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/larry-kestelman-looks-to-expanded-dig
ital-services-for-newlook-nbl-20150717-gif0gq.html>

DNA University Launches to Support Domain Name Industry by Kurt Pritz

In pursuit of continued domain name industry success, the Domain Name
Association (DNA) is delighted to announce the launch of the next industry
resource -- the DNA University. The aim of the DNA University is to
establish a dedicated education platform to facilitate the exchange of
ideas, best-practice methodologies and continued development of the
industry's combined expertise. To this end, the DNA University will offer
stakeholders an opportunity to share their experiences, learn from each
other and provide a forum to incubate concepts that will advance the domain
name industry.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150719_dna_university_launches_to_support_d
omain_name_industry/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150719_dna_university_launches_to_support_do
main_name_industry/>

Where Has the Domain Name Growth Gone? by Jay Daley

It is pretty common knowledge now that domain name growth started to drop
around two years ago and is falling still. At this rate there is every
chance that TLDs that have only ever seen growth will start to see a decline
sometime in the next few years. What follows is a theory on where that
growth has gone.

<
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150716_where_has_the_domain_name_growth_gon
e/>
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20150716_where_has_the_domain_name_growth_gone
/>

**********************

- DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

The most expensive South African domain names ever

Sex sells, and it is no different in the Internet domain name world. Here
are some of the most expensive domain names ever sold in South Africa, and
the world.

<
<http://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/131986-the-most-expensive-south-afri
can-domain-names-ever.html>
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/131986-the-most-expensive-south-afric
an-domain-names-ever.html>

Pair of 6-Figure Sales (One a New gTLD) and a Half-Dozen 3-Letter .Coms
Highlight This Week's Sales Chart

Just about everyone can find something to be happy about in this week's
domain sales report. As always, the .coms had a lot to celebrate including
the week's biggest sale, as well as a half-dozen more charted sales in the
red hot 3-letter .com category and a sweep of 17 of 20 positions on our
latest all extension Top 20 Chart.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150715.htm>
http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20150715.htm>

**********************

REPORTS & RESEARCH PAPERS

**********************

OECD Digital Economy Outlook 2015

This book provides an integrated analysis of trends, indicators and policy
developments in the expanding digital economy.

<
<http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/science-and-technology
/oecd-digital-economy-outlook-2015_9789264232440-en#page1>
http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/science-and-technology/
oecd-digital-economy-outlook-2015_9789264232440-en#page1>

The Mobile Internet: Open. Affordable. Content That Matters.

While there's no question that the mobile Internet is changing everything,
there are still big reasons why people aren't logging on. The 2015 Global
Internet Report presents data that shows it's not always a question of if
it's available, but rather how cost and a lack of useful content are core to
why people are not opting in.

< <http://www.internetsociety.org/globalinternetreport/>
http://www.internetsociety.org/globalinternetreport/>

Countries should address disruptive effects of the digital economy

Countries are making increased efforts to develop their digital economies in
a way that will maximise social and economic benefits, but now need to
address the risk of disruption in areas like privacy and jobs, according to
a new OECD report.

<
<http://www.oecd.org/internet/countries-should-address-disruptive-effects-of
-the-digital-economy.htm>
http://www.oecd.org/internet/countries-should-address-disruptive-effects-of-
the-digital-economy.htm>

*********************************

CHILD PROTECTION & ONLINE SAFETY

*********************************

Microsoft releases tool to spot abuse images

Microsoft has released a free tool that lets website owners spot when images
of child abuse are being shared by users. It said it had made the PhotoDNA
tool available to tackle the 720,000 abuse images uploaded to the net every
day.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33567981>
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33567981>

Reddit will 'hide' vile content in policy change

It will be more difficult to find "abhorrent" content posted to community
news site Reddit, the site has announced.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33561739>
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33561739>

Reddit's 'decency' reckoning has begun. Why are trolls and racists still
winning?

Reddit finally began contending with the hate-filled parts of its popular
internet free-for-all on Thursday, as new leadership vowed to crack down on
the site?s baroque selection of pornography and to isolate other ?content
that violates a common sense of decency?.

<
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/16/reddit-decency-reckoning-
ellen-pao-trolls>
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/16/reddit-decency-reckoning-e
llen-pao-trolls>

Reddit Changes Content Rules as Steve Huffman Takes Charge

The return of a founder to a company is a well-worn story line in Silicon
Valley. In Apple?s darkest hour, Steve Jobs came back, eventually turning
the computer maker into the world?s most valuable corporation. In April,
Mark Pincus stepped back into the chief executive role at Zynga. And Jack
Dorsey, a co-founder of Twitter, has twice returned to help right the social
media company?s ship.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/technology/reddit-steve-huffman.html>
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/technology/reddit-steve-huffman.html>

**********************

MOBILE/WIRELESS

**********************

Internet revolution is mobile

For many Asia Pacific Internet users, the mobile Internet is their only, or
primary, means of accessing the Internet.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2015/07/15/internet-revolution-is-mobile/>
http://blog.apnic.net/2015/07/15/internet-revolution-is-mobile/>

**********************

SPAM

**********************

Spam email levels at 12-year low

People are being sent fewer spam emails than at any time in the past 12
years, according to security firm Symantec.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33564016>
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33564016>

Spam rate falls below 50 per cent for first time in a decade [IDG]

Spam fell to less than 50 per cent of all email in June, the lowest in a
decade, Symantec said in its latest Intelligence Report.

<
<http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/579923/spam-rate-falls-below-50-perc
ent-first-time-decade/>
http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/579923/spam-rate-falls-below-50-perce
nt-first-time-decade/>

<
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/579923/spam-rate-falls-below-50-per
cent-first-time-decade/>
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/579923/spam-rate-falls-below-50-perc
ent-first-time-decade/>

**************************

GOVERNMENT & POLICY

**************************

New edition of ITU?s flagship global ICT regulatory report: Trends in
Telecommunication Reform 2015 tracks increasingly complex ICT ecosystem of
traditional and new-generation players

The latest edition of ITU?s comprehensive report on global ICT regulatory
developments, Trends in Telecommunication Reform 2015, reveals a
fast-evolving ICT landscape, as devices and services proliferate, broadband
connectivity becomes increasingly pervasive, and the hyper-connected world
of the ?Internet of Everything? starts to become a reality.

< <http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/31.aspx>
http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2015/31.aspx>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport>
https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time
you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery