[DNS] auDA domain news - 26 October

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 07:12:23 +1100

The domain name news is supported by auDA

ICANN and IANA: Making the right ? not a rash ? decision

< <https://www.aei.org/publication/icann-and-iana-making-the-right-not-a-rash-decision/> https://www.aei.org/publication/icann-and-iana-making-the-right-not-a-rash-decision/>

The Latest in .BRANDs

< <http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/gtld-usage/the-latest-in-brands> http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/gtld-usage/the-latest-in-brands>

XYZ.com Proposal Could Prevent Global Registration of Banned Chinese Domains

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/xyz-com-proposal-could-prevent-global-registration-of-banned-chinese-domains> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/xyz-com-proposal-could-prevent-global-registration-of-banned-chinese-domains>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

How to stop ICANN becoming FIFA of the internet ? a plan forms

The internet community has published the key details of its plan to improve accountability at the domain-name overseer ICANN when it takes control of the critical IANA contract next year.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/22/internet_community_icann_accountability/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/22/internet_community_icann_accountability/>

ICANN and IANA: Making the right ? not a rash ? decision

The Internet governance community is currently working through two separate but related issues: The IANA transition planning process and the ICANN accountability and transparency process. Because they impact each other in important ways, the intent was always for the two processes to arrive at the finish line at the same time. However, judging from talks at the ongoing ICANN54 conference in Dublin, the issue of accountability has received global interest and now faces a longer path to answer the Internet community?s questions and concerns.

< <https://www.aei.org/publication/icann-and-iana-making-the-right-not-a-rash-decision/> https://www.aei.org/publication/icann-and-iana-making-the-right-not-a-rash-decision/>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability ICANN54 co-Chairs' Statement

Members and participants of the Cross Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG-Accountability) met in Dublin, Ireland from 16-22 October 2015 at ICANN54. Over the past seven days, the CCWG-Accountability has held more than 25 hours of formal meetings, with additional discussions taking place in various SO-AC-led sessions, in the hallways and often times over meals and drinks.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/blog/cross-community-working-group-on-enhancing-icann-accountability-icann54-co-chairs-statement> https://www.icann.org/news/blog/cross-community-working-group-on-enhancing-icann-accountability-icann54-co-chairs-statement>

Removal of Searchable Whois Service From .MEET Registry Agreement

Purpose (Brief): On 3 September 2015, Charleston Road Registry Inc. d/b/a Google Registry, Registry Operator of .MEET TLD submitted a Registry Services Evaluation Policy (RSEP) request to remove Searchable Whois service currently required in the Exhibit A (Approved Services) of the .MEET Registry Agreement.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-10-22-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2015-10-22-en>

ICANN and ETDA Sign Memorandum of Understanding to Promote Collaboration on Translation

ICANN signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Electronic Transactions Development Agency (ETDA) of Thailand today to forge an alliance fostering collaboration on translation.

< <https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2015-10-22-en> https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2015-10-22-en>

Letter from Issah Yahaya, Chief Director | Ministry of Communications, Republic of Ghana, to ICANN

New gTLD application for .AFRICA

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/yahaya-to-icann-16oct15-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/yahaya-to-icann-16oct15-en.pdf>

Three new ICANN directors started today

A former Dutch politician, a cable company VP and a Latin American ccTLD manager joined the ICANN board of directors today.

< <http://domainincite.com/19496-three-new-icann-directors-started-today> http://domainincite.com/19496-three-new-icann-directors-started-today>

Why did the GNSO fail to pick a new leader?

Political infighting between sections of the Generic Names Supporting Organization seems to be responsible for the GNSO Council?s failure to elect a new chair yesterday.

< <http://domainincite.com/19497-why-did-the-gnso-fail-to-pick-a-new-leader> http://domainincite.com/19497-why-did-the-gnso-fail-to-pick-a-new-leader>

Go Daddy veep loses ICANN election to ?none of the above?

ICANN?s multistakeholder GNSO Council has been left embarrassingly rudderless after its members failed to elect a new chair.

< <http://domainincite.com/19493-go-daddy-veep-loses-icann-election-to-none-of-the-above> http://domainincite.com/19493-go-daddy-veep-loses-icann-election-to-none-of-the-above>

Reconsideration Request Denied by Ronald N. Andruff

Having been passed over by the "old guard" Board Governance Committee of ICANN Board of Directors, I took the occasion to speak from my heart to provide the "new guard" with the observations of a 16-year ICANN volunteer. For those of you in the community who are wondering what happened, what follows is word for word what I shared with the Board of ICANN at my closed door proceedings.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151022_reconsideration_request_denied/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151022_reconsideration_request_denied/>

Should ICANN regulate lawyers?

Should ICANN regulate the attorney-client relationship? This is one of the scarier questions currently under discussion at the ICANN54 meeting this week in Dublin.

< <http://www.winston.com/en/winston-domains/should-icann-regulate-lawyers.html> http://www.winston.com/en/winston-domains/should-icann-regulate-lawyers.html>

ICANN Compliance Lends a Hand to a Violent Criminal While Trashing a Legitimate Business by John Berryhill

Imagine a California non-profit corporation providing material assistance to a criminal wanting to do you physical and financial harm. Then, imagine that corporation is ICANN. Imagine no longer, because that is precisely what the ICANN Compliance department managed to pull off this week, in an all-too-common demonstration of the havoc they can cause by sheer ineptitude, without apology or concern. This is the situation which crossed my desk this week.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151023_icann_compliance_lends_a_hand_to_a_violent_criminal/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151023_icann_compliance_lends_a_hand_to_a_violent_criminal/>

Who can run the internet?

Who should decide how the global internet is run? And how can its operation be made as open and accountable - to all of the world?s population - as possible?

< <http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/who-can-run-the-internet-1.2403496> http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/who-can-run-the-internet-1.2403496>

Bogot? ICANN Forum Underscores Internet Developments, Reveals Fundamental Changes Coming. Avianca First To Adopt gTLD

ICANN has concluded its inaugural forum on September 28 in Bogot?, held to address topics related to the DNS, internet infrastructure, and the new gTLD program. The LAC-i-Roadshow is part of the regional strategic plan developed by the different stakeholder groups represented at ICANN from the LAC (Latin America/Caribbean) region designed to raise awareness across the region on key topics related to the DNS critical infrastructure such as the impact of the new gTLD Program and the transition to IPv6.

< <http://www.financecolombia.com/bogota-icann-forum-underscores-internet-developments-reveals-fundamental-changes-coming-avianca-first-to-adopt-gtld/> http://www.financecolombia.com/bogota-icann-forum-underscores-internet-developments-reveals-fundamental-changes-coming-avianca-first-to-adopt-gtld/>

Report on ICANN54 in Dublin

The ICANN54 meeting was held in Dublin on 18-22 October 2015. This CENTR report covers the ccNSO, GNSO and GAC sessions by topic and theme, with a special focus on the CCWG-Accountability.

< <https://centr.org/news/icann54> https://centr.org/news/icann54>

**********************

ccTLD & gTLD NEWS

**********************

36% of US Banks Purchased .BANK Domains Names

In the United States there are approximately 6,800 banks. Right now, you?ll find most of them online at a .COM domain name?but all of that is starting to change.

< <https://www.ftld.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/fTLD-DotBank-Blog-20151021.pdf> https://www.ftld.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/fTLD-DotBank-Blog-20151021.pdf>

< <http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/10/25/us-bank-gtld/> http://www.domainpulse.com/2015/10/25/us-bank-gtld/>

Verisign Reports Third Quarter 2015 Results

VeriSign ... reported financial results for the third quarter of 2015. ... erisign Registry Services added 1.68 million net new names during the third quarter, ending with 135.2 million .com and .net domain names in the domain name base, which represents a 3.4 percent increase over the base at the end of the third quarter in 2014, as calculated including domain names on hold for both periods.

< <http://www.verisign.com/en_US/internet-technology-news/verisign-press-releases/articles/index.xhtml?artLink=aHR0cDovL3ZlcmlzaWduLm13bmV3c3Jvb20uY29tL2FydGljbGUvcnNzP2lkPTE5OTUyNDA%3D> http://www.verisign.com/en_US/internet-technology-news/verisign-press-releases/articles/index.xhtml?artLink=aHR0cDovL3ZlcmlzaWduLm13bmV3c3Jvb20uY29tL2FydGljbGUvcnNzP2lkPTE5OTUyNDA%3D>

Verisign considers Early Access for ?IDN .Coms?

Verisign is considering some sort of ?Early Access? period when it launches IDN .com transliterations, company executives explained today on the company?s 3rd quarter conference call.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/verisign-considers-early-access-for-idn-coms/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/verisign-considers-early-access-for-idn-coms/>

Verisign: 9.2 million new .com and .net registrations last quarter

Verisign reported earnings this afternoon, and disclosed that it handled 9.2 million new .com and .net registrations in Q3. The number of new registrations per quarter is typically in the 8-9 million range.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/verisign-9-2-million-new-com-and-net-registrations-last-quarter/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/verisign-9-2-million-new-com-and-net-registrations-last-quarter/>

de: Award for Excellent Security: DENIC Wins CENTR Award 2015

In the second edition of the Awards granted by CENTR, the international jury selected DENIC as the winner in the Security category.

< <https://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/news/4097.html?cHash=7ab634c78a831c7920f198d724448732> https://www.denic.de/en/denic-in-dialogue/news/4097.html?cHash=7ab634c78a831c7920f198d724448732>

>From Law Firms to Bar Associations to Legal Media and Technology, ?.law? Domain Gains Momentum Throughout the Legal Profession

Minds + Machines ... announced that beginning October 19, 2015, .law domain names may be applied for by qualified lawyers on a first-come, first-served basis at standard rates. The seven-day Early Access Program, during which .law domain names were priced higher to accommodate initial demand, ended at 1600 UTC on October 19.

< <http://investors.mindsandmachines.com/2015/10/from-law-firms-to-bar-associations-to-legal-media-and-technology-law-domain-gains-momentum-throughout-the-legal-profession/> http://investors.mindsandmachines.com/2015/10/from-law-firms-to-bar-associations-to-legal-media-and-technology-law-domain-gains-momentum-throughout-the-legal-profession/>

.XYZ is Back Over 1 Million Domain Registrations & None Of Them Are Free

The new domain extension .XYZ has crossed the 1 Million domain name registration mark again. However now all of the "free" Network Solutions (NetSol) domain names that were stuffed into customers accounts on a non-automatic renewal basis have run their course.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2015/10/23/xyz-is-back-over-1-million-domain-registrations-none-of-them-are-free/> http://www.thedomains.com/2015/10/23/xyz-is-back-over-1-million-domain-registrations-none-of-them-are-free/>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

The Latest in .BRANDs

Some of the popular topics at ICANN Dublin right now include the ongoing scrutiny of the current gTLD round ? such as security and stability reviews, reviews of the rights protection mechanisms, and policy work that relates to a second round. As this work grinds on, here?s a look at some of the latest news around .BRANDs:

< <http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/gtld-usage/the-latest-in-brands> http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/gtld-usage/the-latest-in-brands>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

To Patch or Not to Patch? Four Steps to Effective Vulnerability Management with Security Intelligence

At the 2015 Qualys Security Conference (QSC) in Las Vegas, Jayson Jean, director of iDefense Vulnerability Intelligence, and Research Engineer Rohit Mothe, discussed the ways in which Verisign iDefense Security Intelligence Services have provided key context around public and zero-day vulnerabilities, and by association, helped customers make better-informed decisions around threat mitigation. A core concept discussed in their talk is that threat mitigation often starts with recognizing and prioritizing mitigation of software vulnerabilities.

< <http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/to_patch_or_not_to> http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/to_patch_or_not_to>

Guide To Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act Amendments

The Senate is expected to resume consideration of the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA, S. 754) on Monday, October 26. None of its pending amendments will fix the fundamental flaws in the legislation. However, specifically, rejection of the Cotton amendment and adoption of the other pending amendments would diminish some of the damage the bill would do to privacy. Greg and Jadzia explain why, addressing the amendments in the order they will be considered on the Senate floor.

< <https://cdt.org/blog/guide-to-cybersecurity-information-sharing-act-amendments/> https://cdt.org/blog/guide-to-cybersecurity-information-sharing-act-amendments/>

TalkTalk customer data at risk after cyber-attack on company website

Police are investigating a ?significant and sustained? cyber-attack on the website of TalkTalk which could have compromised customers? credit card and other personal details.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/22/talktalk-customer-data-hackers-website-credit-card-details-attack> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/22/talktalk-customer-data-hackers-website-credit-card-details-attack>

TalkTalk hacking crisis deepens as more details emerge

TalkTalk is facing increasing criticism after belatedly admitting it was the victim of a ?significant and sustained? cyber-attack that has led to the theft of the credit card and bank details of up to 4 million customers.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/23/talktalk-hacking-crisis-deepens-as-more-details-emerge> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/23/talktalk-hacking-crisis-deepens-as-more-details-emerge>

Hackers Demand Ransom From TalkTalk, British Telecom Firm

The chief executive of TalkTalk, a British telecommunications provider, said on Friday that she had received a ransom demand from hackers who had claimed responsibility for stealing data on some of the company?s four million customers.

< <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/24/technology/hackers-demand-ransom-from-talktalk-british-telecom-firm.html> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/24/technology/hackers-demand-ransom-from-talktalk-british-telecom-firm.html>

TalkTalk attack: government urged to do more on cyber??crime

A leading business group has urged the government to take more action on cybercrime after hackers seized the personal information and bank details of up to 4 million TalkTalk customers.

< <http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/24/talktalk-attack-government-urged-to-do-more-on-cybercrime> http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/24/talktalk-attack-government-urged-to-do-more-on-cybercrime>

Why do companies keep getting hacked?

Police are investigating a sustained attack on the TalkTalk website that might have let hackers get at details of the firm's four million customers.

< <http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34614245> http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34614245>

Microsoft Runs the Largest Botnets and Gets Stolen Passwords ? All to Keep Customers Safe

It might be surprising to hear that Microsoft owns the 10 largest botnets in the world ? but just as it takes a thief to catch a thief, it may require running a botnet to save organizations from botnets.

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/microsoft-runs-the-largest-botnets-and-gets-stolen-passwords-all-to-keep-customers-safe> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/microsoft-runs-the-largest-botnets-and-gets-stolen-passwords-all-to-keep-customers-safe>

us: Campaign 2016: Jeb Bush on Cybersecurity

Last month, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush announced his cybersecurity platform. You can read his proposals here; essential points are summarized and analyzed below. While Bush?s stance on issues like net neutrality, encryption, and NSA surveillance has made him the target of a lot of hyperbolic criticism, he is the first of the 2016 presidential candidates to announce a specific cybersecurity platform. As other candidates release their stance on the issue, we?ll keep you up-to-date on what they?re saying, whether it?s viable, and its likely impact on U.S. foreign policy.

< <http://blogs.cfr.org/cyber/2015/10/22/campaign-2016-jeb-bush-on-cybersecurity/> http://blogs.cfr.org/cyber/2015/10/22/campaign-2016-jeb-bush-on-cybersecurity/>

Be ready? Cybersecurity arms race set to escalate in 2016

Each year, organisations increase spending on cybersecurity protection to keep their businesses, their data, and their users safe.

< <http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/587340/ready-cybersecurity-arms-race-set-escalate-2016/> http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/587340/ready-cybersecurity-arms-race-set-escalate-2016/>

de: Internet Security 2016 Survey

For the seventh year in a row, the eco Competence Group Security is undertaking a survey on the anticipated trends for the coming year in the area of Cyber Security:

< <https://international.eco.de/2015/news/internet-security-2016-survey.html> https://international.eco.de/2015/news/internet-security-2016-survey.html>

German surfers blitzed by widespread malvertising campaign

German surfers are under attack from multiple directions this week because of a widespread malvertising campaign.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/22/german_malvertising_campaign/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/22/german_malvertising_campaign/>

Smishing evolves in South Korea

During 2014, smishing?or SMSphising? accounted for 380 million Korean Won (over US$336K) in fraud among Korean mobile phone users.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2015/10/22/smishing-evolves-in-south-korea/> http://blog.apnic.net/2015/10/22/smishing-evolves-in-south-korea/>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Belstaff legal action closes down hundreds of counterfeit websites

MarkMonitor, a world leader in enterprise brand protection and a Thomson Reuters Intellectual Property & Science business, has announced that one of its high profile clients, luxury fashion brand Belstaff, has won its ongoing battle against online counterfeiters.

< <http://www.retailtimes.co.uk/belstaff-legal-action-closes-down-hundreds-of-counterfeit-websites/> http://www.retailtimes.co.uk/belstaff-legal-action-closes-down-hundreds-of-counterfeit-websites/>

The UDRP Is Back on the Negotiation Table at ICANN ? Are You Ready?

Today at the ICANN meeting in Dublin, ICANN staff hosted a session to discuss ICANN?s issues report on reviewing all rights protection mechanism in all gTLD names. This includes a review of the UDRP (Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy), the oldest trademark rights dispute mechanism in the ICANN ecosystem.

< <http://www.winston.com/en/winston-domains/the-udrp-is-back-on-the-negotiation-table-at-icann-are-you-ready.html> http://www.winston.com/en/winston-domains/the-udrp-is-back-on-the-negotiation-table-at-icann-are-you-ready.html>

**********************

REGISTRAR NEWS

**********************

XYZ.com Proposal Could Prevent Global Registration of Banned Chinese Domains

Domain registry XYZ.com has submitted a proposal to ICANN that would enable it to automatically censor the registration of domains included on a Chinese government blacklist, according to a report by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) on Thursday.

< <http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/xyz-com-proposal-could-prevent-global-registration-of-banned-chinese-domains> http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/xyz-com-proposal-could-prevent-global-registration-of-banned-chinese-domains>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

Protect Your Privacy ? Opt Out of Public DNS Data Collection

We?ve all seen the check boxes. They?re hidden at the bottom of webpages. You can?t ignore them, but sometimes you forget they are there. They offer to send you deals and coupons. Some even offer to connect you with their partners for similar benefits. Do you check the box?

< <http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/protect_your_privacy_opt_out> http://blogs.verisign.com/blog/entry/protect_your_privacy_opt_out>

Steering Website Traffic with Managed DNS vs. IP Anycast by Matt Larson

I recently read an interesting post on LinkedIn Engineering's blog entitled "TCP over IP Anycast -- Pipe dream or Reality?" The authors describe a project to optimize the performance of linkedin.com. The web site is served from multiple web server instances located in LinkedIn's POPs all over the world. Previously LinkedIn used DNS geomapping exclusively to route its users to the best web server instance, but the post describes how they tried using BGP routing instead.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151023_steering_website_traffic_with_managed_dns_vs_ip_anycast/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20151023_steering_website_traffic_with_managed_dns_vs_ip_anycast/>

Draft RIPE NCC Activity Plan and Budget 2016

On 21 October 2015, the RIPE NCC published the Draft RIPE NCC Activity Plan and Budget 2016 for members to review.

< <https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/draft-ripe-ncc-activity-plan-and-budget-2016> https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/draft-ripe-ncc-activity-plan-and-budget-2016>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

How to not lose your shirt investing in domain names for China

Allegravita, a consultancy for doing business in China that has worked with a number of domain name companies, has published three info-packed sessions from the DomainFest Asia conference held in September.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/how-to-not-lose-your-shirt-investing-in-domain-names-for-china/> http://domainnamewire.com/2015/10/22/how-to-not-lose-your-shirt-investing-in-domain-names-for-china/>

4-Digit .Com Tops Latest Sales Chart in a Sleepy Week for the Domain Aftermarket

After firing on all cylinders most of this year the domain aftermarket was probably due for a breather and it got one this week with overall sales numbers the lowest we've seen so far this year. Only six reported sales reached five figures and the highest of those hit just $15,500. That was enough to give Sedo's sale of 0702.com the top spot on our latest weekly all extension Top 20 Sales Chart.

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151021.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2015/20151021.htm>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home

"Every time you use fossil fuels, you're adding to the problem. Every time you forgo fossil fuels, you're being part of the solution" - Dr Tim Flannery