[DNS] auDA domain news - 4 July

From: David Goldstein <david>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:13:30 +1000

The domain name news is supported by auDA

INTA?s Internet Committee Takes on IANA Transition, Future of IP

< <http://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Internet_Update_7111.aspx> http://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Internet_Update_7111.aspx>

ICANN: We Won?t Pass Judgment on Pirate Sites

< <https://torrentfreak.com/icann-we-wont-pass-judgment-on-pirate-sites-160702/> https://torrentfreak.com/icann-we-wont-pass-judgment-on-pirate-sites-160702/>

Verisign to get .com for six more years, but prices to stay frozen

< <http://domainincite.com/20691-verisign-to-get-com-for-six-more-years-but-prices-to-stay-frozen> http://domainincite.com/20691-verisign-to-get-com-for-six-more-years-but-prices-to-stay-frozen>

dotgay loses third .gay appeal

< <http://domainincite.com/20708-dotgay-loses-third-gay-appeal> http://domainincite.com/20708-dotgay-loses-third-gay-appeal>

MPAA?s Domain Name ?Policing? Results in First Suspensions

< <https://torrentfreak.com/mpaas-domain-name-policing-results-in-first-suspensions-160630/> https://torrentfreak.com/mpaas-domain-name-policing-results-in-first-suspensions-160630/>

Internet Domain Name Dispute Resolution in Australia by Alpana Roy, Western Sydney University [2014]

< <http://ssrn.com/abstract=2802036> http://ssrn.com/abstract=2802036>

**********************

GOVERNANCE

**********************

INTA?s Internet Committee Takes on IANA Transition, Future of IP

INTA?s Internet Committee has been active in the last month commenting on a number of developments at ICANN, as well as working on a proposal for a trademark workshop that would be held at ICANN?s Internet Governance Forum?s annual meeting in Mexico.

< <http://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Internet_Update_7111.aspx> http://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Internet_Update_7111.aspx>

IANA transition will not remove government relationship with .com contract

Today, ICANN posted proposed contracts with Verisign for the Root Zone Management Agreement and an extension of the .com registry contract.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/iana-transition-verisign-com/> http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/iana-transition-verisign-com/>

**********************

ICANN

**********************

ICANN56 Helsinki GAC Communiqu?

The Governmental Advisory Committee meeting at ICANN56 in Helsinki has issued its Helsinki Communiqu?. It is available for review at GAC Helsinki Communiqu?.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-30-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2016-06-30-en>

Public Comment on Proposed Amendment to .COM Registry Agreement

ICANN is posting for public comment the proposed amendment to the .COM Registry Agreement. This proposal is a result of discussions between ICANN and Verisign, Inc.

< <https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-2016-06-30-en> https://www.icann.org/public-comments/com-amendment-2016-06-30-en>

Draft PTI Articles of Incorporation

This public comment proceeding seeks community input on the Draft PTI Articles of Incorporation. In order to reflect the recommendations contained in the proposals by the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group as provided to the ICANN Board and transmitted to NTIA on 10 March 2016, ICANN must incorporate an affiliate, referred to as PTI, for the performance of the naming-related IANA functions. ICANN also intends to subcontract the performance of the numbering- and protocol parameter-related IANA functions to PTI.

< <https://www.icann.org/public-comments/draft-pti-articles-incorporation-2016-07-01-en> https://www.icann.org/public-comments/draft-pti-articles-incorporation-2016-07-01-en>

Call for Volunteers for the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS (SSR2) Review Team

As part of its existing Affirmation of Commitments requirements, ICANN is seeking volunteers to serve on the Second Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the DNS Review Team. Candidates are asked to submit their applications to reviews at icann.org by 15 August 2016, 23:59 UTC.

< <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2016-06-30-en> https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-3-2016-06-30-en>

Letter from G?ran Marby to Steven J. Metalitz

Contractual Compliance

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/marby-to-metalitz-30jun16-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/marby-to-metalitz-30jun16-en.pdf>

Letter from Steve Crocker to Greg Shatan

Response to Greg Shattan

< <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/crocker-to-shatan-30jun16-en.pdf> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/crocker-to-shatan-30jun16-en.pdf>

ICANN: We Won?t Pass Judgment on Pirate Sites

Following more pressure from rightsholders, domain name oversight body ICANN has again made it clear that it will not act as judge and jury in copyright disputes. In a letter to the president of the Intellectual Property Constituency, ICANN chief Stephen Crocker says that ICANN is neither "required or qualified" to pass judgment in such cases.

< <https://torrentfreak.com/icann-we-wont-pass-judgment-on-pirate-sites-160702/> https://torrentfreak.com/icann-we-wont-pass-judgment-on-pirate-sites-160702/>

Fight as ICANN ?backtracks? on piracy policing

ICANN has clarified that it will not terminate new gTLD registries that have piracy web sites in their zones, potentially inflaming an ongoing fight between domain companies and intellectual property interests.

< <http://domainincite.com/20692-fight-as-icann-backtracks-on-piracy-policing> http://domainincite.com/20692-fight-as-icann-backtracks-on-piracy-policing>

eco DomainNameDay Initiative at ICANN56

eco ? Association of the Internet Industry is planning a global concerted initiative consisting of virtual and physical meetings to inform and educate about domain names, doing business online and broader internet governance topics.

< <https://international.eco.de/2016/news/eco-domainnameday-initiative-at-icann56.html> https://international.eco.de/2016/news/eco-domainnameday-initiative-at-icann56.html>

Events of Interest: ICANN 56 and the 2nd GDD Summit

This week, ICANN is kicking off its second public meeting of the year in Helsinki, Finland. FairWinds will be traveling back to northern Europe for the second time in two months, having also attended the Global Domains Division Summit in Amsterdam this past May.

< <http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/events-interest-icann-56-2nd-gdd-summit/> http://blog.fairwindspartners.com/events-interest-icann-56-2nd-gdd-summit/>

ICANN HR Shares Some Data On Staffing

How diverse is ICANN? While the recently published Afnic report gives some insights, it didn?t explore ICANN staff in any detail. ICANN?s HR team, however, did share some data on ICANN?s staff diversity during a session at the ICANN meeting in Helsinki earlier this week.

< <http://www.internetnews.me/2016/07/02/icann-hr-shares-data-staffing/> http://www.internetnews.me/2016/07/02/icann-hr-shares-data-staffing/>

ICANN and Regional Internet Registries Sign SLA for the IANA Numbering Services

The RIRs and ICANN signed the Service Level Agreement for the IANA Numbering Services today at ICANN 56 in Helsinki, Finland.

< <https://www.nro.net/news/icann-and-regional-internet-registries-sign-sla-for-the-iana-numbering-services> https://www.nro.net/news/icann-and-regional-internet-registries-sign-sla-for-the-iana-numbering-services>

6 QUESTIONS IN 140 CHARACTERS: Get to know G?ran Marby, ICANN?s CEO.

We contacted G?ran Marby, ICANN?s new CEO, with the following questions and asked him to answer them in 140 characters! Take a look:

< <http://prensa.lacnic.net/news/en/2016junen/6-questions-in-140-characters-get-to-know-goran-marby-icann?s-ceo> http://prensa.lacnic.net/news/en/2016junen/6-questions-in-140-characters-get-to-know-goran-marby-icann?s-ceo>

**********************

ccTLDs & gTLDs

**********************

Can a judge seize a .be domain name?

The Swedish government has long been waging a struggle against ?The Pirate Bay,? an online platform for the illegal downloading of music, films, games and software. On 12 May 2016, the Swedish Court of Appeal ruled in a case against Punt SE, the Swedish registry, about the domain names of ?The Pirate Bay?. It upheld an early decision by a judge who had confiscated two domain names of ?The Pirate Bay? (thepiratebay.se and piratebay.se). Punt SE was required to transfer the ownership of the domain names to the Swedish state.

< <http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/can-judge-seize-be-domain-name> http://www.dnsbelgium.be/en/news/can-judge-seize-be-domain-name>

.Co jumps on China craze with short domain auction

Neustar wants to cash in on the Chinese domain name investment craze. The company will hold a two-character domain name auction on the 22.cn platform July 5-13.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2016/07/01/co-jumps-china-craze-short-domain-auction/> http://domainnamewire.com/2016/07/01/co-jumps-china-craze-short-domain-auction/>

com: Verisign keeps its dot-com cash cow until 2024

Verisign will retain control over the dot-com registry until 2024, providing it with a multi-billion-dollar cash cow for the next eight years.

< <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/01/verisign_retains_dotcom_cash_cow_until_2024/> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/01/verisign_retains_dotcom_cash_cow_until_2024/>

Verisign to get .com for six more years, but prices to stay frozen

ICANN and Verisign have agreed to extend their .com registry contract for another six years, but there are no big changes in store for .com owners.

< <http://domainincite.com/20691-verisign-to-get-com-for-six-more-years-but-prices-to-stay-frozen> http://domainincite.com/20691-verisign-to-get-com-for-six-more-years-but-prices-to-stay-frozen>

?Inextricably intertwined:? the ICANN-Verisign Root Zone Management Agreement by Milton Mueller

The longer it was delayed, the more conspicuous its absence became. Yet ICANN and Verisign have finally come to an agreement on a contract to perform the vital domain name root management functions. The draft was published for public review two days ago.

< <http://www.internetgovernance.org/2016/07/01/inextricably-intertwined-the-icann-verisign-root-zone-management-agreement/> http://www.internetgovernance.org/2016/07/01/inextricably-intertwined-the-icann-verisign-root-zone-management-agreement/>

IANA transition will not remove government relationship with .com contract

Today, ICANN posted proposed contracts with Verisign for the Root Zone Management Agreement and an extension of the .com registry contract.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/iana-transition-verisign-com/> http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/iana-transition-verisign-com/>

.Com contract extension shorter than Verisign expected

ICANN has published a proposed extension to its contract with Verisign for .com.

< <http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/com-contract-extension-shorter-verisign-expected/> http://domainnamewire.com/2016/06/30/com-contract-extension-shorter-verisign-expected/>

Annual report 2015: a new momentum for Afnic and the .fr TLD

2015 was full of news, both for the .fr TLD and gTLDs operated by Afnic. And the Association stepped up its actions in favor of the Internet community.

< <http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9986/show/annual-report-2015-a-new-momentum-for-afnic-and-the-fr-tld.html> http://www.afnic.fr/en/about-afnic/news/general-news/9986/show/annual-report-2015-a-new-momentum-for-afnic-and-the-fr-tld.html>

.INSURANCE and .BANK Tell Consumer Safety Story And Share Lessons Learned

One year after fTLD Registry Services debuted our first financial Internet web extension, .BANK, we launched .INSURANCE ? the place for members of the global insurance community to enhance and differentiate their online presence in the marketplace. We want to share with you in this blog a few tips we learned from the launch of .BANK and .INSURANCE.

< <https://www.register.bank/june-27-2016/> https://www.register.bank/june-27-2016/>

nz: Amendment to Operations and Procedures Policy - Reserved Names

Following a public consultation, the DNCL Board has approved an amendment to the Operations and Procedures Policy.

< <https://www.dnc.org.nz/the-commission/news/1116> https://www.dnc.org.nz/the-commission/news/1116>

Is The .Party Over? The Domain Extension Loses Over 50% of it?s Registrations In Past Month

The domain name extension .Party has been losing thousands of domain name registrations a day over the last few weeks.

< <http://www.thedomains.com/2016/06/30/is-the-party-over-the-domain-extension-loses-over-50-of-its-registrations-in-past-month/> http://www.thedomains.com/2016/06/30/is-the-party-over-the-domain-extension-loses-over-50-of-its-registrations-in-past-month/>

sg: Special names for a limited period!

>From 1 July 2016 to 31 July 2016, a selected group of Premium Domain Names will be released for application at a base price ranging from $642 to $21,400 (including GST). If the name has multiple applications, it will be allocated to the applicant with the highest bid.

< <https://www.sgnic.sg/special-names-for-a-limited-period!-grab-it-now!.html> https://www.sgnic.sg/special-names-for-a-limited-period!-grab-it-now!.html>

**********************

NEW TLDS

**********************

dotgay loses third .gay appeal

dotgay LLC has lost its third attempt to get ICANN to reconsider tossing its application for community priority status in the fight for the .gay gTLD.

< <http://domainincite.com/20708-dotgay-loses-third-gay-appeal> http://domainincite.com/20708-dotgay-loses-third-gay-appeal>

To new gTLD or not to new gTLD?

In the past two years, more than 20 million new gTLDs have been registered. We?ve seen the launch of domains that have the potential to be great, and others that just make you want to cringe. Before the new gTLD program, brand owners were urged to protect all of their digital assets in the newest TLD regardless of its relevancy to the brand; now that there are thousands of domains, that advice is sheer lunacy.

< <https://www.netnames.com/insights/blog/2016/06/to-new-gtld-or-not-to-new-gtld/> https://www.netnames.com/insights/blog/2016/06/to-new-gtld-or-not-to-new-gtld/>

MPAA?s Domain Name ?Policing? Results in First Suspensions

Several "pirate site" domain names have been suspended following complaints from the MPAA. The websites in question all use domain names that are managed by the Donuts registry, which assigned the Hollywood group as its "trusted notifier." MPAA and the domain registry are happy with results so far and hope that other key players will join their efforts.

< <https://torrentfreak.com/mpaas-domain-name-policing-results-in-first-suspensions-160630/> https://torrentfreak.com/mpaas-domain-name-policing-results-in-first-suspensions-160630/>

Donuts reveals positive results from MPAA partnership

Domain name company Donuts has revealed the results of its partnership with the Motion Picture Association of America.

< <http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/donuts-reveals-positive-results-from-mpaa-partnership-4753> http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/donuts-reveals-positive-results-from-mpaa-partnership-4753>

< <http://www.worldipreview.com/news/donuts-reveals-positive-results-from-mpaa-partnership-10376> http://www.worldipreview.com/news/donuts-reveals-positive-results-from-mpaa-partnership-10376>

Donuts Receives The First 6 Infringing Domain Names by MPAA

In February of this year Donuts announced its newly minted ?trusted notifier? program with the Motion Picture Association of America. It was the first arrangement of its kind in the domain name industry made to handle clear cases of copyright infringement online. Another New gTLD registry Radix has struck a similar agreement with the MPAA.

< <http://onlinedomain.com/2016/07/01/domain-name-news/trusted-notifier-program-outcomes-first-referrals-mpaa/> http://onlinedomain.com/2016/07/01/domain-name-news/trusted-notifier-program-outcomes-first-referrals-mpaa/>

.brand Progress - The Mid-Year Analysis by Tony Kirsch

Google. BMW. Dell. Canon. Deloitte. Chanel. Microsoft. Audi. Cisco. Leaders in their industries, household names, game changers in business and technology. And just some of the brands that have launched their .brand TLDs so far in 2016. As we reach the mid-way point of this year, it provides a fitting checkpoint at which to reflect on the progress we've seen over the last six months.

< <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160630_dot_brand_progress_the_mid_year_analysis/> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160630_dot_brand_progress_the_mid_year_analysis/>

Struggle over dotAfrica gTLD intensifies

In the latest development within ongoing legal battle over which organisation will control the administration of the .africa domain, a US court has denied the ZA Central Registry's motion for reconsideration on the preliminary injunction that was granted to the DotConnectAfrica Trust on 12 April 2016.

< <http://www.itwebafrica.com/ict-and-governance/523-africa/236434-struggle-over-dotafrica-gtld-intensifies> http://www.itwebafrica.com/ict-and-governance/523-africa/236434-struggle-over-dotafrica-gtld-intensifies>

**********************

DNS SECURITY

**********************

ch: SWITCH DNS recursive name service improvements with dnsdist

SWITCH operates recursive name servers for any user within the Swiss NREN. While larger universities typically run their own recursive name server, many smaller organisations rely on our resolvers for domain name resolution. During the consolidation of our name server nodes into two data centres, we looked for opportunities to improve our setup.

< <https://securityblog.switch.ch/2016/05/11/switch-dns-recursive-name-service-improvements-with-dnsdist/> https://securityblog.switch.ch/2016/05/11/switch-dns-recursive-name-service-improvements-with-dnsdist/>

Cloud DDoS Mitigation: How do you know it?s right?

DDoS attacks have become the primary threat to the availability of networks and online services and the peak attack sizes have grown by a factor of more than 50 over the last 10 years. Today, botnets and easy-to-use tools for launching DDoS attacks have enabled a big increase in the number of attacks and the traffic they generate. As the attacks have evolved, so have the tools and services to stop them. The best current practice is to implement a strong hybrid defense that tightly integrates on-premise equipment for always on protection with a cloud-based mitigation solution capable of handling the largest and most complex attacks.

< <https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/cloud-ddos-mitigation-how-do-you-know-its-right/> https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/cloud-ddos-mitigation-how-do-you-know-its-right/>

Gaming Companies and DDoS: You can bet on it.

When a gaming provider is taken offline it frustrates hard core users and damages the company?s reputation. Because availability is of such primary importance to gamers, these firms are frequent targets for attack.

< <https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/gaming-companies-and-ddos-you-can-bet-on-it/> https://www.arbornetworks.com/blog/insight/gaming-companies-and-ddos-you-can-bet-on-it/>

What to do in the event of a data breach

When data breaches happen, be sure you have the number of an expert, incident response service to help you document, recover, and shield your information. We have a few tips to consider when making your decision.

< <http://www.enom.com/news/1135/event-data-breach.html> http://www.enom.com/news/1135/event-data-breach.html>

Data breaches could mean fines! What you need to know about the GDRP.

You can find reports of new data breaches in the news every day, targeting industries including finance, healthcare, government, social media?and the list goes on. In fact, the first five months of the new year has seen 433 mainstream attacks according to hackmaggedon.com?an average of over 86 cyber attacks a month.

< <https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/data-breaches-could-mean-fines-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-gdrp/> https://www.cscdigitalbrand.services/blog/data-breaches-could-mean-fines-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-gdrp/>

ca/se: IIS chooses D-Zone for performance and security

Today at the global meeting of ICANN, The Internet Foundation In Sweden (IIS), operators of the .SE and .NU country code domains, and the Canadian Internet Registration Authority, announced a deal to deliver secondary Anycast DNS services to the Swedish market.

< <https://cira.ca/newsroom/communiqu?s/iis-chooses-d-zone-performance-and-security> https://cira.ca/newsroom/communiqu?s/iis-chooses-d-zone-performance-and-security>

Locky and Dridex - New Wine in Old Bottles

The computer media has been screaming it for the past few days: Locky is back! Dridex is back! Of course they are? these are two of the most prolific ? and prosperous ? malwares around at the moment. Why would anyone think that they had dried up and blown away? The only thing that would cause that would be a better Locky and a better Dridex. And that is what we seem to have.

< <http://www.scmagazine.com/locky-and-dridex--new-wine-in-old-bottles/article/506935/> http://www.scmagazine.com/locky-and-dridex--new-wine-in-old-bottles/article/506935/>

Shadow IT is a Catastrophe for Corporate Security

The use of unauthorized hardware and software, irregular IT operation procedures and other examples of ?carelessness? ? what experts call ?shadow IT? ? are significantly endangering security in the German economy. This is a conclusion of the current eco Security Report 2016, which is based on a survey among 580 IT experts from mainly medium-sized companies based in Germany.

< <https://international.eco.de/2016/news/shadow-it-is-a-catastrophe-for-corporate-security.html> https://international.eco.de/2016/news/shadow-it-is-a-catastrophe-for-corporate-security.html>

Five Recommendations for Improving Network Security

In May, we posted the results of our network protection survey, which looked ? among other things ? at best practices in companies that were highly successful at network security. In this post, I wanted to drill down into these best practices, and how to achieve them. Some of the recommended actions have the added benefit of positively influencing multiple outcomes, so organization can benefit by prioritizing these actions first.

< <https://community.infoblox.com/t5/Company-Blog/Five-Recommendations-for-Improving-Network-Security/ba-p/6886> https://community.infoblox.com/t5/Company-Blog/Five-Recommendations-for-Improving-Network-Security/ba-p/6886>

Crypto-ransomware attacks rise five-fold to hit 718 thousand users in one year

The number of users attacked with encryption ransomware is soaring, with 718,536 users hit between April 2015 and March 2016: an increase of 5.5 times compared to the same period in 2014-2015.

< <http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/crypto-ransomware-attacks-rise-five-fold-to-hit-718-thousand-users-in-one-year/> http://newsroom.kaspersky.eu/en/texts/detail/article/crypto-ransomware-attacks-rise-five-fold-to-hit-718-thousand-users-in-one-year/>

Kaspersky Lab Exposes Facebook Phishing Attacks: 10,000 Victims in Two Days

A Kaspersky Lab security expert has uncovered a malware attack that tricked around 10,000 Facebook users around the world into infecting their devices after receiving a message from a friend claiming to have mentioned them on Facebook

< <http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2016/10000-Victims-in-Two-Days> http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2016/10000-Victims-in-Two-Days>

**********************

DOMAIN DISPUTES & SEIZURES

**********************

Internet Domain Name Dispute Resolution in Australia by Alpana Roy, Western Sydney University [2014]

Abstract: The increasing number of domain name disputes has led to the development of legal and quasi-legal rules relating to the management of internet domain names. While the UDRP provides the international legal framework for resolving domain name disputes, local authorities are responsible for resolving disputes concerning ccTLDs ? such as .au. In Australia, the relevant local policy governing .au domain name disputes is the .au Dispute Resolution Policy (auDRP). This article will focus on the auDRP as a distinct and developing body of law.

< <http://ssrn.com/abstract=2802036> http://ssrn.com/abstract=2802036>

**********************

REGISTRAR & WEBHOSTING

**********************

GoDaddy App For New Business Ideas Now Available On Android Devices

GoDaddy Inc. announced today that Flare is available for download in the Google Play store.

< <https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/2016/GoDaddy-App-For-New-Business-Ideas-Now-Available-On-Android-Devices/default.aspx> https://aboutus.godaddy.net/newsroom/news-releases/news-releases-details/2016/GoDaddy-App-For-New-Business-Ideas-Now-Available-On-Android-Devices/default.aspx>

Changes to renewal logic

We are continuously optimizing systems to be able to handle the increasing domain volumes. One of the bottlenecks coming up is the daily renewal process: the higher the number of domains under management, the higher the number of domains that require renewal (or expiration) daily. Our initial implementation of running these checks once a day late in the evening is no longer sustainable.

< <https://www.openprovider.com/changes-renewal-logic/> https://www.openprovider.com/changes-renewal-logic/>

nz: DNCL statement regarding Woosh liquidation

The Domain Name Commission Limited has been informed that authorised .nz registrar Woosh Wireless Limited has gone from voluntary administration into liquidation.

< <https://www.dnc.org.nz/the-commission/news/1121> https://www.dnc.org.nz/the-commission/news/1121>

**********************

IPv4/IPv6

**********************

Email 20/20: Why Domain Reputation is Key with the Adoption of IPv6

Do you ever find yourself running out of vital must haves? Maybe it?s shampoo when you really need to look good for a meeting, ketchup when you are having a BBQ with your friends , or pen ink when you are taking notes during a call? When these things happen, sometimes you have to get creative on what you can use in its place.

< <https://blog.returnpath.com/email-2020-domain-reputation-key-adoption-ipv6/> https://blog.returnpath.com/email-2020-domain-reputation-key-adoption-ipv6/>

When is an IPv6 address an address and when is it a prefix?

In my last article I went over the aspects of the IPv6 address format and some common issues with displaying, matching and searching through IPv6 addresses that are represented in different formats. There are some tricks for operators around being able to look at an IPv6 address and know if it represents a network (think of a prefix as an IPv4 subnet) or an actual IPv6 address. The reason this is important is that when you are trying to debug or troubleshoot a networking issues or trying to provide information to colleagues being able to identify a networking prefix verses an address quickly proves to be very helpful.

< <https://community.infoblox.com/t5/IPv6-Center-of-Excellence/When-is-an-IPv6-address-an-address-and-when-is-it-a-prefix/ba-p/6901> https://community.infoblox.com/t5/IPv6-Center-of-Excellence/When-is-an-IPv6-address-an-address-and-when-is-it-a-prefix/ba-p/6901>

**********************

MISCELLANEOUS

**********************

BREXIT ? Challenges for the Domain Industry

BREXIT is posing multiple challenges on the domain industry. Many registries have local presence requirements only allowing for individuals and companies residing in the European Union to register domain names.

< <https://international.eco.de/2016/news/brexit-challenges-for-the-domain-industry-2.html> https://international.eco.de/2016/news/brexit-challenges-for-the-domain-industry-2.html>

We don?t do such a bad job here in Asia with addresses distribution by George Michaelson

Recently, I presented at the TWNIC OPM in Taipei to the Taiwanese community, including representatives from academia, regulatory and government, and ISPs.

< <http://blog.apnic.net/2016/07/01/dont-bad-job-asia-addresses-distribution/> http://blog.apnic.net/2016/07/01/dont-bad-job-asia-addresses-distribution/>

New Chairman of the ARIN Board of Trustees

Effective 1 July 2016, Vint Cerf has stepped down from the role of Chairman to allow for a leadership transition period prior to the end of his term, which concludes on 31 December 2016.

< <https://www.arin.net/announcements/2016/20160701_board.html> https://www.arin.net/announcements/2016/20160701_board.html>

DotBrexit by Stuart Fuller

In the aftermath of the UK?s decision to leave the European Union, the world's economies have reacted strongly. Stocks went into initial free fall, the pound dropped to its weakest position against most major currencies in decades and the prime minister has announced his departure. ?Experts? on every subject are coming out of the woodwork, telling us what the future will hold for us on every subject from our beach holiday to watching our favorite team playing on a Saturday afternoon.

< <https://www.netnames.com/insights/blog/2016/06/dotbrexit/> https://www.netnames.com/insights/blog/2016/06/dotbrexit/>

uk: 'Angela4leader' website domain bought up two days before Wallasey MP resigned

A website ?Angela4leader? was set up hours before Hilary Benn was sacked from the shadow cabinet and two days before the Wallasey MP resigned from the front bench.

< <http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/angela4leader-website-domain-bought-up-11551007> http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/angela4leader-website-domain-bought-up-11551007>

**********************

DOMAINING & AFTERMARKET

**********************

Part 1 ? Why Domain Portfolio Optimisation Works

I recently had the privilege of conducting a session at Domaining Europe on the topic of monetisation. Many domain investors have fallen into the trap that monetisation is dead and let me share with you that nothing is further from the truth. Domain monetisation is alive, well and thriving.

< <http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive> http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive>

Part 2 ? Why Domain Portfolio Optimisation Works ? Development

In this article I will be further expanding on how to develop a domain into a business. This is the first business model that can be applied to domains, the other three are monetising traffic, treating domains as stock-items and the last selling domains at high values.

< <http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive> http://whizzbangsblog.com/index.php/article-archive/article-archive>

.NET Geodomain Takes Top Spot on This Week's Sales Chart & Ranks Among the Year's Top 20 Non .Com gTLD Sales

My previous sales report, posted Friday night (June 17), had an unusually large number of sales in it as it contained two weeks worth of data (due to my being away the previous week on vacation).

< <http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160629.htm> http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2016/20160629.htm>

**********************

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

?ACCC to look at future of ADSL regulation

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has launched an inquiry into whether its regulation of the wholesale ADSL service delivered by Telstra should continue. The ACCC?s initial declaration of the service was in February 2012 and it is set to expire in February next year.

< <http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/602834/accc-look-future-adsl-regulation/> http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/602834/accc-look-future-adsl-regulation/>

------

David Goldstein

email:  <mailto:david at goldsteinreport.com> david at goldsteinreport.com

web:  <http://goldsteinreport.com/> http://goldsteinreport.com/

Twitter:  <https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport> https://twitter.com/goldsteinreport

phone: +61 418 228 605 - mobile; +61 2 9663 3430 - office/home