Re: DNS: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Dougal Holmes <Dougal.Holmes§north.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:49:27 +1000
Forwarding a message from Michael Malone:

          > The COM.AU domain space is already too large, with 90%
          > of all requests hitting the COM.AU name space. It
          > is better to have a "flatter" structure, to distribute
          > the hits a bit better.

          I thought the whole basis of the DNS system was to use multiple
          servers to distibute the lookup load within a single domain. The
          domain structure matches the organisational and political
          realities of the world, not what the technical people would like
          to make their life easier.

          The telephone "namespace" is significantly skewed too, with most
          requests hitting two major telephone numbers: (03) 9 and (02) 9.
          This may cause some difficulties with Telstra and Optus, but is a
          fact of life.

          The COM.AU namespace (or it's equilivant) will always have the
          largest number of requests, as there are considerably more
          business names than government/educational/military names.

          Dougal

          Disclaimer: These are my thoughts, and not necessarily those of
          my employer