Re: DNS: Re: INET: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 08:33:37 +1000

>Sorry Gary - what is the question? If it is how do we proceed from here, I
>would suggest that something like acn.au, with a completely different mode of
>operation would be an interesting first step. As Simon has already said, the
>advantage of this particular domain (and I realise that it doesn't solve all
>problems) is that there can be *no* argument or discussion about entries
>therein, and an extremely effective search tool can be implemented directly by
>the ASC (or at least from their public information). As I have said before,
>this is not a complete solution to the problem, however I would suggest that
>there is *no* single solution and this would be a useful alternative approach
>that is worth exploring.

... and just to underscore this, we (Hugh and I) stand ready to provide the
resources to implement acn.au if we can get it approved by Robert Elz. I
don't think there is any actual objection from Robert to our ideas here,
other than a probable belief that noone would use it. No loss there if we
try and fail - that's what the Internet is about - *doing* things.

It would form a decent example of a domain that "just plain worked", and if
nobody cared - well, there would be no damaging effects from this either.

Consider that most business cards in Australia already contain the ACN (I
think they might have to as a legal requirement for that matter). Consider
being able to derive a domain name for that company directly from that ACN.
Consider that in ADDITION to whatever other domains the company has, as a
backstop which "always works" based on the business card in your drawer.

We (Hugh and I) suspect we could full automate a lot of this by using
electronic copies of the ASC database, which are likely to be obtainable
from the ASC as they are effectively a public register.

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777