Re: DNS: Domain Names - the problems with the present australian authority

From: David Keegel <david§keegel.wattle.id.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:55:38 +1100 (EST)
]
] > ] 	At the moment there is a working group which is putting together some
] > ] papers about the creation (for lack of a name) a Domain Name Authority for
] > ] australia, which the government would rubber stamp, and which would control
] > ] the overall .au namespace.
] >
] > Wouldn't this muddy/confuse the derivation of authority for the DNS, if
] > it was seen that a local government (ie: non-global in scope) had the
] > authority to bless an organisation with control of a small piece of the
] > DNS without reference to the IANA or its delegated authority for the *.au
] > piece of the DNS (ie: Robert Elz).
]
] Any organisation, regardless how well meant or who is in it, will
] not be able to "assume" a position of an authority for .AU without
] the approval of Robert Elz. kre has been involved in the earlier
] meetings, and hopefully continues to support the development of such
] an organisation.
]
] I don't speak for Robert, but my guess is that this "structure" must
] have wide community support and input.

Perhaps I should just clarify.  What I meant is that kre would be the one
to officially approve a "Domain Name Authority", as far as The Internet
is concerned.  In the sense that the Govenor General officially approves
laws for the Commonwealth of Australia.  Although kre might take a more
active role in the decision-making process than is conventional for a G-G.
David Keegel <david&#167;keegel.wattle.id.au>  I speak for myself, no one else.