Re: DNS: The plight of the uninformed

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:15:36 +0800
> Well, NEC is one of those who have not been notified.  I sent email to
> MelbourneIT to ask why and was told that because my NIC handle is one
> allocated by the NIC in the US (SR20), it obviously got missed by their
> automated scripts that sent out the mail before Christmas.  They are
> intending to send paper mail to those that they missed before, but they had
> better get a move on, it can take some work for some of us to get any
> sort of payment processed - especially one that we are going to have
> some difficulty explaining :-(.

Thankfully, this probably won't be an issue for you. Until Melbourne IT
took over, Mr Elz gave people a number of guarantees.  The conditions
that were in place from May 6, 1996 until Melbourne IT took over had
the following clause:

--> Registration will persist until requested to be removed by the requesting
--> organisation, or until all reasonable attempts (which will not extend to
--> advertising in newspapers, or similar costly extravagances) to contact the
--> registered organisation for a period of no less than 3 months have failed.

Could someone else pass a comment on what an estoppel is?  I sincerely hope
that Melbourne IT knows that they are going to hurt these companies financially
if they take away their domain names, and what this will imply afterwards.

MM