Re: DNS: The plight of the uninformed

From: <Stephen.Rothwell§nec.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 10:56:19 +1100
Brett Caird <brettc&#167;bit.net.au> writes:
> Had a conversation with one of our customers who holds a .com.au domain
> today and he was blissfully unaware of the renewal date for his domain (we
> had advised our .com.au customers by conventional mail of the situation and
> the renewal date imposed by Melbourne IT, but this organisation had switched
> from another ISP to us since then and thus didn't have details on record).
>
> It was only through another matter that we came to discuss this point.  It
> got me wondering how many people actually realize what is going on.  What
> sort of communication has taken place between Melbourne IT and domain
> holders directly?  Its a difficult situation I know, the contact records for
> many domain holders may be out of date.  But the fact remains: if people
> aren't contacted by Melbourne IT and they have either fallen through their
> ISPs systems of notification (by moving or whatever) or their ISP for
> whatever reason doesn't feel obliged to do Melbourne ITs dirty work, where
> does that leave them?

Well, NEC is one of those who have not been notified.  I sent email to
MelbourneIT to ask why and was told that because my NIC handle is one
allocated by the NIC in the US (SR20), it obviously got missed by their
automated scripts that sent out the mail before Christmas.  They are
intending to send paper mail to those that they missed before, but they had
better get a move on, it can take some work for some of us to get any
sort of payment processed - especially one that we are going to have
some difficulty explaining :-(.

Cheers,
Stephen		Hostmaster/Postmaster &#167; nec.com.au
--
Stephen Rothwell                    Stephen.Rothwell&#167;nec.com.au
NEC Australia                       Phone: +61-6-2508747