Re: DNS: P Montgomery Report in CW

From: Paul Montgomery <monty§apnpc.com.au>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:53:52 +1000
Tom Minchin wrote:
> Peter, you forgot to remind Paul that "the Web" is not the internet, nor
> is it the DNS. M-IT isn't selling "Web addresses". You'd think a journalist
> would know the difference, or at least try and find out (or stop asking people
> who don't know).  The AFR is typically guilty here, this was just the straw.
>
> Do we have to get Media Watch to embarrass you guys?

*cowering under a rain of blows* hey, I didn't expect the Spanish
Inquisition!

Of course I know the difference between the Web and the Net.  The
problem is, our audience at CW is supposed to be management types who
make corporate decisions on buying things from IT vendors.  We have to
dumb the technical stuff down to them, because as we all know that,
according to the Dilbert Principle, managers are normal workers who are
so incompetent that they are put in the place they can do the least
damage.

Melbourne IT are selling addresses for sites on the Web.  This is all a
manager understands.  You and I both know that's simplistic, but that's
journalism, folks!  Managers don't care a jot about these kinds of
technical issues.  They just want to know how it affects their budget.
Or so my editor keeps telling me, anyway.

(BTW, If they ever make another movie about the Spanish Inquisition, I
nominate Stuart Littlemore to play the Grand Inquisitor...)

Paul Montgomery, Internet Journalist for Computer Week - APN Computing
E: monty&#167;apnpc.com.au    Ph: +61 2 9936 8793    Fax: +61 2 9955 8871