Re: DNS: Points for disscussion at the meeting 16\05\97

From: Scott Howard <scott§hunterlink.net.au>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 22:33:20 +1000 (EST)
> I have recently noticed your application for the Internet domain name
> "weddings.net.au".
>
> I have an Australian Registered Business No.1321533N registered as
> "weddings.net".

Are you a network provider??  No??  Then perhaps you should look at
weddingsnet.com.au (which, not supprisingly, isnt taken).

Failing that, if you really desire a net.au domain, you could try
weddingsnet.net.au, which fits in much more nicely with the net.au
Domain Policy than weddings.net.au does.

As for what the relevant docuement, the "net.au Domain Policy" says, well...

--------
(From http://registry.connect.com.au/cgi-bin/na-policy.cgi, last updated
26-11-96)

The listing service of names within the net.au delegated name space is
undertaken on a First Come - First Served basis. The connect.com.au Internet
Registry Service does not trade in, or license in any way any entity
(including the listing requesting entity) to trade in the requested name.

Acceptance of the listing entry by the delegated authority confers no rights
to the applicant regarding the legitimacy or otherwise of the association of
the name with the applicant, nor does it confer to the applicant any other
rights associated with ownership of the name, or any rights to its use.

No adjudication is made within the connect.com.au Internet Registry as to
whether the applicant has a legitimate right to a name. The applicant in
lodging the request for a name informs the delegated authority that they
are asserting a claimed right to a name.
------

As for the relevence of this for the DNS forum??  None at all.

  Scott
  HunterLink